Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
gregs1020
Hi mom!

TS - playing a specific brand of guitar because *insert famous endorsement guy here* plays one will never make you sound like them.

for amps i would look at a egnater tweaker. check that pile of pedals you have and find a decent reverb pedal and delay to thicken up the lead tone a little. you won't sound exactly like anyone but you, but you could probably emulate the guys you like fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deljaso
It sounds like you want a nice guitar for playability and to round out your collection, not for improved tone -- so do not spend the money on a new amp. It sounds like you are going in the right direction -- you want something with a thin neck and humbuckers (which is good, because it is different than both of the guitars you have now).
People are suggesting amps because you might not be able to tell the difference between a $300 guitar and a $1000 guitar... but if you're not advanced enough to tell that your amp is limiting you, I would argue that you couldn't tell the difference between a line 6 and a more expensive tube amp.
I think you know what you want, and if you want a nice guitar now and a nice amp later, then do that so that 6 months down the road you're not wishing you would have gotten that nice $1000 guitar.

ok there is some ****ed up shit up in that post right there. wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #22
dannyalcatraz

I've heard good things about the Egnaters...worth a look, eh?

What would you say they're best at?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
lamb of dog
Satan's noisy neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I hate to be that guy... But what you need is a $1000 amp.

Welcome! Now do yourself a favor and run away. Run as far away from gear forums as is humaly possible! If you follow this advice, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren about the guy who saved you from yourself.

lamb of dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
n00bje

Quote:
I've been saving up money so I can finally afford a decent guitar
Current Gear? Guitars: Schecter PT Fastback and a Fender Squier

You've already got a decent guitar so I'm wondering what your reasons are for wanting a new guitar. What exactly are the things you feel are lacking in your Schecter?

Also the Spider IV isn't as bad as everyone makes them out to be:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfMrFmA80uo

But I would probably spend that money towards a new amp. Just go to a store and try out every amp/cab combination out there.
n00bje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I've heard good things about the Egnaters...worth a look, eh?

What would you say they're best at?

Tweaker is known for a 'all-arounder' It has many different switches to change tones:
British v. American
Vintage v. Modern
Hot v. Clean
Bright v. Normal
Tight v. Deep.

I've heard that their cleans are good and can get some nice grit and distortion. For really heavy playing, pedals will get you there.

There is also the 'Rebel', which has a few cool options. You can blend 6V6 and EL84 power tubes. I'm not sure if this is the same ad the Brit/American switch on the Tweaker, but it seems like it.
And then it has a stepdown from 5W-to-1 watt.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
jjfeu662
Celestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I hate to be that guy... But what you need is a $1000 amp.

You're always that guy.

I'd get a nice $500 tube amp and with the other $500 get yourself the hellraiser.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Tweaker is known for a 'all-arounder' It has many different switches to change tones:
British v. American
Vintage v. Modern
Hot v. Clean
Bright v. Normal
Tight v. Deep.

I've heard that their cleans are good and can get some nice grit and distortion. For really heavy playing, pedals will get you there.

There is also the 'Rebel', which has a few cool options. You can blend 6V6 and EL84 power tubes. I'm not sure if this is the same ad the Brit/American switch on the Tweaker, but it seems like it.
And then it has a stepdown from 5W-to-1 watt.

Thanks!

I was thinking about getting some smaller, but high quality amps to use at home since my Fender HRD is just too loud...scares my doggies.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #28
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Thanks!

I was thinking about getting some smaller, but high quality amps to use at home since my Fender HRD is just too loud...scares my doggies.

Both will still be loud. Even with the power scaling, you may not even hear a difference at 1W, since if you play on 5W low - ie, under vol1 then you're not even using 1W of power so the scaling does nothing.

I do hear that they sound good at lower volumes though, so that's a plus as some amps may not.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #29
dannyalcatraz

Well, my HRD hasn't seen the high side of 4 in some time, so i've atually never gotten to use that nice, tube distortion.

I'd expect to be able to crank a bit more with a lower wattage amp before I reach dog-scaring volumes.

Plus, I'm looking for something voiced a bit more towards heavier music- like a small Orange- and am considering a smaller Fender-like amp as well because I'm considering getting rid of it.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #30
twisty571

You could get a nice amp and guitar for that,especially right now with all the end of year blowouts.
I picked up a new sale Gibson LP 70's tribute for $506!
Here is a nice Schecter for $533.00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...as2&tag=onst-20
and you can find a number of great amps used or new & on sale for under $500. You don't need a $1000 amp

Rate This Thread: