Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Fanned frets...worth it or not?

I'm considering doing a fanned fret 7 string for my next build, probably 27-25.5". I'm wondering, what are the pros and cons of both building a fanned fret guitar, and owning one(I've never owned one)?

The pros for owning one may be fairly obvious, and the cons for building one seem to be having to deal with cutting those fret slots(I currently have a table saw and jig for cutting fret slots, so I can do a whole fretboard in about 5 minutes, but I wouldn't be able to use that for fanned frets), and using a special bridge multi-scale bridge.

What else do I need to consider?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Jason Jillard
Luthier

don't do too extreme of a fan, my first was was 27- 24 3/4 and i hated it.

just finishing up a 26.5- 25 six string and it feels really nice.

it is a little more tricky to build, and i found that leveling the frets could be a mindgame sometimes, but isn't actually any different.

its fun to do tho.

also im working on a 37-35 five string bass. yay.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
|Long|
String Theory

Pros:
Ergonomics
Intonation benefits are debatable.

Cons:
A lot of work.

Besides just the angles, you also have to consider the nut & bridge positions/angles. I guess you would have to spend some time to calculate and measure, but it wouldn't be any more difficult after that.

Here's a link with some info, and it have a lot of builders who make mulit-fret models.
http://www.acguitar.com/article/def...2&printable=yes

I think it's definitely worth the work involved.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Robfreitag

longer low strings gives a fatter, tighter, faster attack, and the shorter high strings give easier bending and vibrato...
Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Jillard
don't do too extreme of a fan, my first was was 27- 24 3/4 and i hated it.

just finishing up a 26.5- 25 six string and it feels really nice.

Do you think 27-25.5 would be too much? Seems like those are my most ideal scale lengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Pros:
Ergonomics
Intonation benefits are debatable.

Cons:
A lot of work.

Besides just the angles, you also have to consider the nut & bridge positions/angles. I guess you would have to spend some time to calculate and measure, but it wouldn't be any more difficult after that.

Here's a link with some info, and it have a lot of builders who make mulit-fret models.
http://www.acguitar.com/article/def...2&printable=yes

I think it's definitely worth the work involved.

Thanks for the link, that's definitely something I will be reading.

I think if I can find some plans for a jig that lets me cut the fret slots out on the table saw, then I will be very happy. I know most people will say that it will take just as long as to make a jig as it will to slot by hand, but I much prefer power tools and jigs, and this might not be my only fanned fret guitar.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 11-21-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Do you think 27-25.5 would be too much? Seems like those are my most ideal scale lengths.

Thanks for the link, that's definitely something I will be reading.

I think if I can find some plans for a jig that lets me cut the fret slots out on the table saw, then I will be very happy. I know most people will say that it will take just as long as to make a jig as it will to slot by hand, but I much prefer power tools and jigs, and this might not be my only fanned fret guitar.

Luthiere's like Mustapick may even be able to help you out with past experience. I've talked to a few of those luthieres before and in the community, Mustapick is highly rated for his multi-scales.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
whoomit

How are you with metal work?

Just thinking you could do a Crimson-style bridge where you just make the bridge plate and put Wilkinson saddles on it. That way you can make it to your specs.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Luthiere's like Mustapick may even be able to help you out with past experience. I've talked to a few of those luthieres before and in the community, Mustapick is highly rated for his multi-scales.

I'll have to keep that in mind then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
How are you with metal work?

Just thinking you could do a Crimson-style bridge where you just make the bridge plate and put Wilkinson saddles on it. That way you can make it to your specs.

Not too great, but I think I could make a base plate with some threaded screw holes. But isn't there something like that I could buy that's already fabricated? I've heard something about some individual saddles that I could use that don't require a baseplate.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Jason Jillard
Luthier

here, use this to draw out what you want, print it out full scale, tape it to a guitar and see if it feels about right with the scale lengths you chose.

http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/

and individual bridges exist, they tend to be pricey for anything decent.

but you can also just make a wooden 'baseplate' and use strat saddles or w.e

or if you get a few longer screws, you can sometimes use a regular tele bridge if the fan isn't to extreme

with very subtle fans you can even use a regular bridge, as long as the intonation range is good. ( shcaller hannes bridge)
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Jillard
here, use this to draw out what you want, print it out full scale, tape it to a guitar and see if it feels about right with the scale lengths you chose.

http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/

and individual bridges exist, they tend to be pricey for anything decent.

but you can also just make a wooden 'baseplate' and use strat saddles or w.e

or if you get a few longer screws, you can sometimes use a regular tele bridge if the fan isn't to extreme

with very subtle fans you can even use a regular bridge, as long as the intonation range is good. ( shcaller hannes bridge)

Wow, that is a useful tool! I'm definitely going to out a template and give it a shot.

I guess I have a few options to consider for my bridge type. I'm not opposed to making one, but that's more of a last resort.

Rate This Thread: