Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Objekt

meshuggah inspired prog melodic hardcore/metalcore

this is gonna be the intro for the band I'm forming. Check out the poly-meter at the end
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 red.gp5 (21.0 KB, 159 views)
Objekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Not much of a polymeter to be honest. It just sounds like every new tab we get here these days, but I can see that you're trying in the song. Lots of tense and release chords, but the outro wasn't really that interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Objekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Not much of a polymeter to be honest. It just sounds like every new tab we get here these days, but I can see that you're trying in the song. Lots of tense and release chords, but the outro wasn't really that interesting.

How is it not a poly-meter? I put the cymbals in 4/4 time and made the snare fall on every 3rd beat in the 4/4 and had the guitar parts in 3/4 and it all meets up at the end...

Also you can check out some of the stuff I've posted on here in the past 2 weeks I feel like it's quite different than a lot of the stuff that's posted on here but that is entirely subjective as you must know.

Last edited by Objekt : 11-11-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

I mean, yeah its a polymeter, its just not a very interesting one. 3/4 over 4/4 is done all the time, across many the many subgenres of progressive music.

Try one that's mind****y, like 13/8 (that's always a groovy one), or maybe have a switch between 5/8, then to 9/8, then back and forth.

Quote:
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Objekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
I mean, yeah its a polymeter, its just not a very interesting one. 3/4 over 4/4 is done all the time, across many the many subgenres of progressive music.

Try one that's mind****y, like 13/8 (that's always a groovy one), or maybe have a switch between 5/8, then to 9/8, then back and forth.

hahaha for sure d00d. I was inspired by rational gaze in the sense that they have more than one time signature in their PMs like you just described. I'm gonna fool around with more poly-metric stuff and I'm gonna make a poly-metric punk/hardcore song with D-Beat as the 4/4 backbone.

Last edited by Objekt : 11-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
frankibo
UG Board King

Well the Meshuggah inspiration was well disguised... As in not evident at all. Sounded like fairly typical post hardcore song.
Not bad by any means, a little boring at times though.

Colossus
frankibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Objekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankibo
Well the Meshuggah inspiration was well disguised... As in not evident at all. Sounded like fairly typical post hardcore song.
Not bad by any means, a little boring at times though.

haha it was inspired through the use of the poly-meter at the end. What sounded boring to you? I usually try to make songs more interesting by using atypical chord voicings and disjunct melody.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

I actually liked most of it, besides the outro. The drumwork is pretty solid throughout. My favorite bars are 11-17. But yeah, the outro was just meh.

Quote:
Great post-grind funk with a touch of sunburn rock, southern jazz and samba crusty blast beat. A must read for every microwave food connoisseur! 10/10

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Up to bar 13 I was enjoying. I wouldn't call it prog, but it reminded me of Confide, who I really like, the way they like to play riffs with dissonant sounding chords (with 2nd or 7th intervals) that are still diatonic and melodic. But the next riff up until the breakdown I felt was terribly out of place, with the sudden focus on a blues scale. I did really like the polymeter breakdown, regardless of being a typical combination. I like my prog, but being complicated is the last thing I worry about when hearing a breakdown.

C4C?
Just follow the link in my sig and listen to any one of the songs on the album

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Objekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDeath9
I actually liked most of it, besides the outro. The drumwork is pretty solid throughout. My favorite bars are 11-17. But yeah, the outro was just meh.

Cool cool, thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
Up to bar 13 I was enjoying. I wouldn't call it prog, but it reminded me of Confide, who I really like, the way they like to play riffs with dissonant sounding chords (with 2nd or 7th intervals) that are still diatonic and melodic. But the next riff up until the breakdown I felt was terribly out of place, with the sudden focus on a blues scale. I did really like the polymeter breakdown, regardless of being a typical combination. I like my prog, but being complicated is the last thing I worry about when hearing a breakdown.

C4C?
Just follow the link in my sig and listen to any one of the songs on the album

hahaha I appreciate the feedback I put that part so people can two step to it live haha and I made it slower for the ultra br00tal 2 stepz lol. I want to really write something different in terms of a collective band letting all the pieces speak for themselves collectively I guess. I'm such a pretentious **** sucker haha

I'll return the crit for sure bro.

Rate This Thread: