Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
codymrc
Reignofhell

Having an Issue with my Peavey 50 watt VK 1x12 Combo amp

I am not sure if this is common, But i know it isn't Serious.

Almost ALL of the patch jack inputs in the front of the guitar feel Loose/takes quite a lot of moving the patch cord to get sound, also my hi gain input is VERY crackly when i run the Overdrive Channel.

It is a used Amp that i recently purchased second-hand, the date of manufacturing is waay back in '05-06ish.

I'm not sure of how to fix this problem myself, as i have yet to try and fix it due to the worry of electrocuting myself/ruining the amp, but i really don't wanna pay $100 just to have some mook at my local guitar shop fix it in 10 minutes.

Advice/youtube video links appreciated. thanks
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
codymrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

sounds like the input jacks themselves need to be tightend down and you may also have some cold (bad) solder joints where the wires connect to the jack.

if you are careful you won't electrocute yourself if you want to take a stab at some of this yourself. otherwise, you need to take it to a tech of find a electrical savvy friend.

what I would do is post in the Only Valveking Thread.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
sounds like the input jacks themselves need to be tightend down and you may also have some cold (bad) solder joints where the wires connect to the jack.

if you are careful you won't electrocute yourself if you want to take a stab at some of this yourself. otherwise, you need to take it to a tech of find a electrical savvy friend.

what I would do is post in the Only Valveking Thread.

+311

You have to move the jack around to get it to sound proper? Crackling when you are doing this? If so 311 was correct with the input jack/s as the culprit.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

They'll be PCB mounted jacks. You gotta be especially careful tightening them up because you don't want it tugging on the board. You really need to get in the back so you can hold them as you do it. If the connections to the board are faulty it will mean removing the whole board. This is why we all hate PCB mounted jacks and pots.
You'll want to clean the jacks too but no point until you've tightened them up.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

didn't know they were PCB mounted

makes sense I guess

shit i owned one and never noticed

don't keep jiggling if that is the case

unplug it, take the tubes out, unhook the reverb (red and white wires), unhook the speakers, unscrew the 4 main screws and slide the chassis out. don't touch anything on the inside outside of the jack. The green PCB and the jack won't hurt you.

seriously, read through the first few posts of the VK thread and post in there. take pics when you have the chassis out.

if it still crackles after this exercise then you may have a bad preamp tube. get some contact cleaner and spray all the tube pins with it before putting the tubes back in
Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Well I'll be...

Here is a picture of the guts... Looks PCB mounted. At least crate and Behringer have the input jack off the main board.

And 311- the caps face the other direction however I would not advise touching anything on the PCB unless you know the caps are discharged.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...r/823157/823164

Last edited by R45VT : 11-13-2012 at 01:28 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: