Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....

Bla-bla-bla Guitar stain using REAL red wine? Staining techniques?

Wondering if it's possible to stain a guitar body with actual red wine from a bottle? Has this been done? Any photos? I can't seem to find anything, only 'wine red stain' as in a stain that mimicks the colour of red wine...

Also, what's the easiest method for a DIY stain job of this kind? What will I need? I'm after this kind of finish:
http://www.cmcguitars.com/Fender-AM...ele-wine-rd.htm

Cheers
loop-de-luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Explorerbuilder

Why do people always get these ridiculous ideas? stain is cheap. Why try so many stupid ideas to get a less than great finish?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

This sounds like a REAL stupid idea.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
seljer
UG Resident

I can verify that wine does stain wood quite a bit (we make a very dark red wine and have an oak wine press).

I wouldn't however waste the wine on a guitar

edit: some googling brings up a bunch of vineyard/luthier collaborations http://benedettoguitars.com/documen...ink_to_that.pdf

Last edited by seljer : 11-13-2012 at 07:12 AM.
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Seems like the type of thing people would brag about, even though it's stupid and pointless.

Do yourself a favor and use some good stains, unless you are just trying to do something different.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Make sure you sniff the cork first.

I'd prefer a guitar made from whiskey barrels though.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
rahmanwarsi123
Banned

Why do people always get these ridiculous ideas? stain is cheap. Why try so many stupid ideas to get a less than great finish?

Last edited by rahmanwarsi123 : 11-13-2012 at 01:10 PM.
rahmanwarsi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....

Hahah you know I never thought this kind of question, after my many other questions about this guitar on the forums, would get UG slammed!

Explorerbuilder & rahmanwarsi123: stain isn't that cheap. You mention using other materials (such as wine, which permanently stains everything when you don't want it to) is sub-par to using real stains for guitars which will produce a super awesome stain job... from what I have found, stains designed for guitars are upwards of $18 each, and you need a couple at least to mix and customise the tint. Wine is upwards of $3 a bottle.

Seeing as there are so many guitars on the market that have a 'red wine stain' finish, wouldn't it seem reasonable to consider an AUTHENTIC red wine stain on a guitar? Considering it seems nobody has asked this question before here (judging from your comments and a quick google search on the subject), I thought I would.

Also, what is a stupider and more ridiculous idea is sanding back half the paint job on a guitar to make it look vintage when it isn't... Fender do it and they sell for more than the standards.

I appreciate your opinion that it's a shit idea, by it would be more helpful if you explained why... knowing that red wine stains things red (which is a good start). If you have tried it and it turned out shit, then explain why that happened... as other posters have found, wine staining things isn't something new and totally weird!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Explorerbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop-de-luke

Explorerbuilder & rahmanwarsi123: stain isn't that cheap. You mention using other materials (such as wine, which permanently stains everything when you don't want it to) is sub-par to using real stains for guitars which will produce a super awesome stain job... from what I have found, stains designed for guitars are upwards of $18 each, and you need a couple at least to mix and customise the tint. Wine is upwards of $3 a bottle.

I have no idea what kind of stains you are using... But you can get analyine dye made for guitars, for 4 bucks, which makes over 2 quarts of stain... I have had the same cup that i ordered 3 years ago already, and am still not out.

No excuses, dye and stain is cheap, use it.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
I have no idea what kind of stains you are using... But you can get analyine dye made for guitars, for 4 bucks, which makes over 2 quarts of stain... I have had the same cup that i ordered 3 years ago already, and am still not out.

No excuses, dye and stain is cheap, use it.

Where abouts did you get the stain from? I've looked at some hardware stores for wood stains (not a great option but thought it'd be cheaper at least) and it was still pretty pricey... I also found some on Stewmac.com which are about $18 a bottle
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
LeviMan_2001

If you've got some wine, give it a try, no one will stop you. Just make sure you drink the rest after finishing, otherwise it might get sloppy.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #13
Explorerbuilder

The stew mac ones you are looking at are the liquid stains. Even though they are expensive, you need maybe 1 drop to stain an entire guitar when mixed with alcohol.

Here are some powdered dyes from LMI that i use.

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpr...Alcohol+Soluble

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpr...s+Water+Soluble
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
seabear70
Lost in the Twilight Zone

Most of what people do is stupid and pointless.

Fire was a bad idea.

Sure, it keeps you warm and let's you see at night, but cover yourself with furs and a good woman or two and you'll be warm enough and what did you want to see anyway?

OTOH : It did lead to pretty much everything we take for granted now.

If the guy wants to stain his guitar with wine, I say go for it.

If he wants to try the same thing with piss, go for it and keep it away from me.

It's his guitar.
seabear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
seljer
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabear70
If he wants to try the same thing with piss, go for it and keep it away from me.

It's his guitar.

someone should do a plexiglass guitar with actual liquids in it thats a tribute to Metallica's Load
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
seabear70
Lost in the Twilight Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by seljer
someone should do a plexiglass guitar with actual liquids in it thats a tribute to Metallica's Load

Does it have to sound Horrible, too?
seabear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
seljer
UG Resident

Quote:
Does it have to sound Horrible, too?

I was alluring to the blood/semen on the cover art.
And then also remembered that Kirk Hammet has got a plastic telecaster with water in it

And all this talk of wine staining makes me want to actually attempt it, I made a simple outdoor bench for sitting on last weekend, maybe this weekend I'll try how much half a cup of red wine does to it
Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
Arab_Philosofer

I like the idea, get some wine and try it. I don't know how well wine in perticular works but ancient peoples have made due with less.
Arab_Philosofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
seljer
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab_Philosofer
I like the idea, get some wine and try it. I don't know how well wine in perticular works but ancient peoples have made due with less.

Beets
Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Most of what people do is stupid and pointless.

Fire was a bad idea.

Sure, it keeps you warm and let's you see at night, but cover yourself with furs and a good woman or two and you'll be warm enough and what did you want to see anyway?

OTOH : It did lead to pretty much everything we take for granted now.

If the guy wants to stain his guitar with wine, I say go for it.

It's his guitar.

Well obviously, he can do what he wants, but he came here asking about it so...

i think the basic idea is that instead of trying to save a couple of dollars and possibly opening a can of worms, he can just get a wine colored dye and do what is known to work.

Personally, I think the whole finishing process is a huge pain, so I'd go with what it known and has lots of online tutorials and whatnot.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: