Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #21
seabear70
Lost in the Twilight Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Well obviously, he can do what he wants, but he came here asking about it so...

i think the basic idea is that instead of trying to save a couple of dollars and possibly opening a can of worms, he can just get a wine colored dye and do what is known to work.

Personally, I think the whole finishing process is a huge pain, so I'd go with what it known and has lots of online tutorials and whatnot.

My first paintjob was a Dragon Skin with a sunburst.

I decided to do that paint job for one simple reason, I could not find a single reference to anyone else having done one.

I'm sure someone has tried it before.

They would almost have to have tried it.

But the lack of any evidence that it had been done is what made up my mind.

It was a stupid thing to do.

I knew nothing about what i was doing.

I was terrified I was goign to screw it up.

It's awsome.

I do not use that word lightly.
seabear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #22
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabear70
My first paintjob was a Dragon Skin with a sunburst.

I decided to do that paint job for one simple reason, I could not find a single reference to anyone else having done one.

I'm sure someone has tried it before.

They would almost have to have tried it.

But the lack of any evidence that it had been done is what made up my mind.

It was a stupid thing to do.

I knew nothing about what i was doing.

I was terrified I was goign to screw it up.

It's awsome.

I do not use that word lightly.

Well I'm glad it worked out for you, but I think most everyone should hear out the opposition before making a decision like this. I know I'd be annoyed if I asked for an opinion on something and everyone held their tongue for fear of being a naysayer.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
LeviMan_2001

Just stain the thing with WINE and post pics so people will stop WHINING already.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
seabear70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
Just stain the thing with WINE and post pics so people will stop WHINING already.

+1
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
seabear70

Ya know...

If wine works out, it just raises more questions...

For example....

What about Jack Daniels?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Ya know...

If wine works out, it just raises more questions...

For example....

What about Jack Daniels?

That's an expensive stain!

Or what about a br00tz guitar stained with lamb's blood?!
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
That's an expensive stain!

Or what about a br00tz guitar stained with lamb's blood?!

If you thought that would be expensive try Scotch...
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
IronMaiden76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #28
DLrocket89
UG's roaming amp builder

I say go for it. I find it's fun trying something out for the sake of trying it out, not that it makes more or less sense. Dare to be different, it's more entertaining that way.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
DLrocket89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
LeviMan_2001

The other thing is, if you do it and it works, you can write a song about it.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #30
loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....

It's funny that you should finally say "just do it so everyone can stop talking about it"

I left this thread a while ago as I stopped getting notifications, just found it again to notice a whole bunch of people say "yeah go for it, **** what everyone else says" and whatnot... all of a sudden everyone is agreeing that it should be tried. Funny...

Alas, I went out and bought some furniture stain because I was desperate and couldn't find anything else. Haven't used it yet, but since re-finding this thread I might just try the wine.

To get the record straight, by the way... I wasn't asking about using wine because it would be cheaper, I was asking to see if it would work or if anyone had tried it before (and if they got good or bad results). I figured a real red wine stain would be authentic and unique. Sure, stains designed for guitars are gonna work and wine might not... but that's exactly why I posted this thread.

Thanks for the comments though, I'll try it out on some wood and see what happens... will post photos (if I remember to). One does not simply use wine for decorative purposes without drinking most of it
loop-de-luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #31
Derickonfire
This is my custom title.

Use wine!

Forget these people telling you it's a stupid idea.. I don't think they even know what rock and roll is about!

I like this wine idea... I already use real blood and the like in my paintings.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #32
woad_yurt

Wine will stain it; I don't know how well. though. But, since it's mostly water, it'll raise up the grain a bit, too.

Over the years, I've tried water-based stains a few times on other projects and every time it raised the grain on the wood, necessitating more sanding and yet another stain coat. It's a vicious circle. I'd go with regular, old, oil-based woodstain.

Last edited by woad_yurt : 11-27-2012 at 06:23 AM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
loop-de-luke
Kickin' it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
Wine will stain it; I don't know how well. though. But, since it's mostly water, it'll raise up the grain a bit, too.

Over the years, I've tried water-based stains a dew times on other projects and every time it raised the grain on the wood, necessitating more sanding and yet another stain coat. It's a vicious circle. I'd go with regular, old, oil-based woodstain.

Yeah I had a think about the water content thing... that'd mean I'd probably have to use a water-based lacquer too, right? I'm not sure... I've already bought some wood stains from a hardware store and some polyurethane lacquer, gonna give it a go on some scraps and see what works best. Might still try the wine thing on some off cuts but will have to rethink the lacquer.

What do you reckon about staining with a dark stain (black japan), sanding back and restaining with a red (mahogany)? Someone suggested that to me as the black will bring out the grain more and give it some cool patterns
loop-de-luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #34
woad_yurt

I'd mix the stains and then wipe. Test it on a scrap until you get your color.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #35
seabear70

Ok, I'm just going to throw this out there...

What if you reduced the water content of the wine somehow?

Distillation comes to mind.

You obviously don't want to remove all of it, but wouldn't a reduction of half the water result in a little less sanding and possibly a richer color?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #36
woad_yurt

You'd then need to add a solvent or you'd be just smearing too-thick stuff around. Once you add a solvent, you'd have regular, ol' traditional stain but of a very, very low quality.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #37
RebuildIt

Wine reduces easily by simple boiling, distillation is overkill. I don't suggest a full boil, just simmer it gently. The alcohol will boil off first, at about 173 F, then it will stop boiling until it gets up to water's boiling point, 212 F. Because its not pure water the exact temperature will be a bit different. But we don't care about that stuff, right? we just want most of the water gone. It will take 30-45 minutes to reduce one bottle of wine. It will be somewhat faster if you boil it harder, but if you're not paying attention (and who can sit and watch things boil for more than a few minutes?) you can make a mess.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #38
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

Quote:
What about Jack Daniels?

So doing this.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #39
Phil Starr

The major pigment in red wine is anthocyanin. On exposure to air and ultra-violet light it will oxidise and turn brown, it will also fade. This is why red wine is always stored in coloured bottles. If you want a brown guitar with natural pigments coffee or tea would do it better. If you want it stained with anthocyanin then beetroot or red cabbage would do it better as it has more pigment. Anthocyanin is an indicator pigment like litmus and is only red in acid conditions so it will give different colours with different woods, but it will still fade and go brown.

Depending upon the wood the water will raise the surface grain but that can be sanded back after. The wood will have a 10-20% water content anyway so once it has dried the wine will make no difference to the finishing.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: