Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica

What's a cheap way to record? Please help never recorded

I looked at the stickies but theres so much on there.

Whats a cheap way too record. I can spend about $200 is there anything I can buy to plug into the computer? Then I need to buy some sort of program? Does that amplitude 3 for iPhone record? Anything that could add a few tracks at once?

Please help right now I record stuff by taking a voice memo on my iPhone it's pathetic...

Last edited by UFC on VHS : 11-13-2012 at 12:52 AM.
UFC on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

You could buy a USB mixer, some mics and cables, then use free software such as Audacity.

show
jthm_guitarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
chatterbox272

what are you recording exactly? if it's just guitar/bass or you already have a microphone then this is the goto recommendation here and it's just starting to be replaced by this one. If you have absolutely nothing maybe try find one of those presonus packs? not the best interface out but if you're going new then you'll be hard pressed to get better gear for the same price.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Holu Callouse
Banned

Top post. I look forward to reading more. Cheers!

Guild Wars 2 CD Key
Holu Callouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC on VHS
I looked at the stickies but theres so much on there.

Whats a cheap way too record. I can spend about $200 is there anything I can buy to plug into the computer? Then I need to buy some sort of program? Does that amplitude 3 for iPhone record? Anything that could add a few tracks at once?

Please help right now I record stuff by taking a voice memo on my iPhone it's pathetic...

I'm sorry but if you read the stickies and you still have these questions, you've gotta read them again. Everything you asked is in there.

Anyways:

Yes, look at the Focusrite Saffire 6 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. They're roughly $200 (The Saffire 6 is going as low as $100 used on eBay), plug straight into the computer and you can record 2 different inputs at the same time.

You'll need software. Reaper is your best choice. Its only $60 and does all the same things all the major DAWs do. It has a 30 day, fully unlocked trial. If you can't get $60 in the next 30ish days for it, you really need a job (especially since Christmas is just over a month away, use the money grandma sends to buy it)

Don't waste money on anything iPhone period (except Garageband and that's debatable).

What do you mean by your last question? Are you talking about bringing multiple guitar tracks recorded onto one? Then yes, Reaper (or any other DAW) does this.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf

What do you mean by your last question? Are you talking about bringing multiple guitar tracks recorded onto one? Then yes, Reaper (or any other DAW) does this.

Yeah I would like to record guitar 1 and guitar 2 overlap them into one then possibly add a vocal track if possible.
UFC on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Then you really need to follow lockwolf's advice & go read the stickies again. They answer all the questions you've asked here.

You basically have two choices - either get an interface to hook up to your PC and use software to do your mixing etc. or alternatively get a multitracker that will do everything most people need in a single purpose built unit. The Interfaces sticky tells you everything you need to know about both options.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
timcrow420

Just shop around for recording equipment you will either find a DAW or an 8 track
timcrow420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrow420
Just shop around for recording equipment you will either find a DAW or an 8 track

Ermmm.....that's what we're trying to help him do by telling him to read the stickies that provide information about what to look for.

Also, FWIW 8 tracks are DAWs. The term does not refer solely to software based systems, it merely means an audio workstation that is digital. As there aren't really any analogue systems made anymore (without spending serious money) you just told him to get a DAW or a DAW.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab

Last edited by GaryBillington : 11-14-2012 at 04:30 AM.
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: