Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
jkielq91

Blues rock guitar

Hi, I'd like some recommendations for a guitar for blues, blues rock and classic. Influences are Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Bonamassa, Jimmy Page and similar. I also often play more traditional blues like Albert King and Buddy Guy. Occasionally some heavier stuff, but I have a Jackson for that.

Most people recommend me a Les Paul, and even though Les Pauls are awesome, from playing them, I am not 100% sure they feel right for me. The bridge felt good for me, but the chunkiness and weight not so much (it was a very heavy 1979 Les Paul).

I find I prefer the feel of Fenders. I played the Pawn Shop Mustang and thought it was awesome, but I'd like to know some more options.

Visually I love Jaguar's and Jazzmasters. But some people say the tone isnt right for the sounds I am after. But I know it is down to me to judge that.

I would really like coil splitting for the pick ups so that I can get both single coil and humbucker sounds.

Budget, £800 at the very maximum. Around £600 or less if possible.

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey

Last edited by jkielq91 : 11-13-2012 at 09:21 AM.
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Elderer
UG Member

Look into Reverend, Hanson, Burns UK.
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Blompcube
Registered User Error

if you like fenders, imo you can't really go wrong with a strat or a tele for blues/rock.

jaguars, mustangs etc are nice guitars, but their typical 7.25" fretboard radius makes them a bit impractical for string bending and the shorter scale length and bright sounding pickups give these guitars a kind of a thin, wirey tone that probably isn't what you're looking for.

if you can find one of those fenders with a flatter radius and hotter sounding pickups (for example, the blacktop series - i think) it might work pretty well though.
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
dr_john
yer blues

look at your list of influential players - there's a lot of strat players there. you can't go wrong with a strat for blues rock. get the best model that you can for your money, preferably a USA model.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
jkielq91

The main Jaguar I was looking at was the Classic Player HH which has a 9.5 radius and Enforcer pickups.

I have just remembered that I forget to mention that I want coil splitting pickups for both humbucker ans single coil sounds.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
omidmash

You still have a Cube as amp. I don't think that you will notice much of a difference unless you spend a ton on the guitar, and that's not what you want to do. Go find a second hand Fender amp and throw in a tube screamer. Also, get the coil on your Jackson split so you can have the single coil sound (or something close to it) for $3 of solder.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by omidmash
You still have a Cube as amp. I don't think that you will notice much of a difference unless you spend a ton on the guitar, and that's not what you want to do. Go find a second hand Fender amp and throw in a tube screamer. Also, get the coil on your Jackson split so you can have the single coil sound (or something close to it) for $3 of solder.

I already have plans in place to buy a new amp and it will most likely come first.

My Jacket doesnt quite fit the image I of what i do visually. Plus I need a first choice guitar and a back up.

Would it really only cost £3 to do coil splitting on my Jackson?

Last edited by jkielq91 : 11-13-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkielq91
Hi, I'd like some recommendations for a guitar for blues, blues rock and classic. Influences are Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Bonamassa, Jimmy Page and similar. I also often play more traditional blues like Albert King and Buddy Guy. Occasionally some heavier stuff, but I have a Jackson for that.

Most people recommend me a Les Paul, and even though Les Pauls are awesome, from playing them, I am not 100% sure they feel right for me. The bridge felt good for me, but the chunkiness and weight not so much (it was a very heavy 1979 Les Paul).

I find I prefer the feel of Fenders. I played the Pawn Shop Mustang and thought it was awesome, but I'd like to know some more options.

Visually I love Jaguar's and Jazzmasters. But some people say the tone isnt right for the sounds I am after. But I know it is down to me to judge that.

I would really like coil splitting for the pick ups so that I can get both single coil and humbucker sounds.

Budget, £800 at the very maximum. Around £600 or less if possible.

PRS SEs are in that range. The newer ones have coil taps and don't weight a ton. Another you may want think about is a Gibson SG or Les Paul SL if you can get them second hand.

The newer standards are down to something like 9lbs, but they are $$$$ to step into.
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomyrs1
PRS SEs are in that range. The newer ones have coil taps and don't weight a ton. Another you may want think about is a Gibson SG or Les Paul SL if you can get them second hand.

The newer standards are down to something like 9lbs, but they are $$$$ to step into.

PRS SE's are actually my Fender alternative option that I have already research.

The older version with out the coil splitting sells real cheap atm, and it could be cheaper to install a coil split into it. Though I may miss the bevelled top.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
PRS SE's are actually my Fender alternative option that I have already research.

The older version with out the coil splitting sells real cheap atm, and it could be cheaper to install a coil split into it. Though I may miss the bevelled top.

The 2012s have a slightly beveled top, and you can get them from Sam Ash for $600 right now. (I noticed you used euro signs so I'm not sure what you would have to do to import it) I got mine for $550 in a local shop.
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomyrs1
The 2012s have a slightly beveled top, and you can get them from Sam Ash for $600 right now. (I noticed you used euro signs so I'm not sure what you would have to do to import it) I got mine for $550 in a local shop.

I am in the UK. The price for the new SE is good here to.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Given your list of influences, you probably couldn't go wrong with some kind of Fender Strat.

In addition, check out Godin or G&L guitars- both make excellent, high-quality versions of the "Strat" body style. Some people- myself included- actually prefer them to Fenders of the same price.

In addition, because they are not Fenders, they tend to not hold their value as much in the used market, so you can usually get a much better deal on them as secondhand guitars.

Godin also makes a line of guitars called Richmond which are also worth checking out. They're kind of hybrids between retro brands like Danelectro and more modern makers. Their Belmont- with or without Bigsby- is equipped with a bridge HB and a lipstick single coil in the neck and middle positions.

Reverend guitars are also well made. Aesthetically, they are a bit of a departure, but they use Korina as their preferred body wood and have good pickups, etc., delivering some killer tones pfect for blues & rock. I'm currently considering getting a Reverend Double Agent or Reeves Gabrels signature guitar from them.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-13-2012 at 02:10 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Given your list of influences, you probably couldn't go wrong with some kind of Fender Strat.

In addition, check out Godin or G&L guitars- both make excellent, high-quality versions of the "Strat" body style. Some people- myself included- actually prefer them to Fenders of the same price.

In addition, because they are not Fenders, they tend to not hold their value as much in the used market, so you can usually get a much better deal on them as secondhand guitars.

Godin also makes a line of guitars called Richmond which are also worth checking out. They're kind of hybrids between retro brands like Danelectro and more modern makers. Their Belmont- with or without Bigsby- is equipped with a bridge HB and a lipstick single coil in the neck and middle positions.

Reverend guitars are also well made. Aesthetically, they are a bit of a departure, but they use Korina as their preferred body wood and have good pickups, etc., delivering some killer tones pfect for blues & rock. I'm currently considering getting a Reverend Double Agent or Reeves Gabrels signature guitar from them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Richmond Belmont looks awesome. Not sure I'd be able to try before I buy though.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz

The Belmonts ARE rare- I live in the Dallas, Texas area- millions of people around- and I'm close to Houston and San Antonio- all 3 cities in the top 10 most populated cities in the USA.

I cannot find one to try out personally, and I so want to! It's been getting good reviews in all the mags I read.

I may yet buy one used from GC (they currently have 2), though, because I trust Godin's QC, and GC has a decent return policy.

See if you can find one though a retailer with a good return policy. All but 2 of my 13 guitars were purchased via mail/phone/Internet orders, and that trend will only continue, based on my GAS list. Find someone you can trust; it will expand your options immensely,

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-13-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
omidmash

Quote:
Would it really only cost £3 to do coil splitting on my Jackson?

Free if you have a soldering iron and some solder around I believe.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by omidmash
Free if you have a soldering iron and some solder around I believe.

I dont have the iron already but I'll look into this.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

maybe an HSS strat? godin does some nice ones. lots of manufacturers do, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz

For Godin, I'd look at the Sessions, Redline HB, Freeway SA, or the (recently discontinued) Velocity. The Passion RG-2 is an impressively well made guitar, but may be over the budget.

G&L Legacy or Invaders spring to mind, as well.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
Supernaut2k
Blackmore Worshipper

For that budget i'd get a used American strat. You could coil tap your jackson, but it still won't sound as good as a proper single coil set up in my opinion.
Supernaut2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Why not a strat?

It's what your influences used. Although maybe a HSS strat like said above would be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: