Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
MonsterMetalMus

Need advice from someone in the US military

Alright, I'm in my senior year of high school right now and I'm planning on going to college. My grades are good, I'm taking AP classes yada yada. I'm sure I can get into some pretty good schools but paying for them is another story. My parents make too much money so I can apply for need based scholarships ( Yeah, talk about first world problems ) but I don't want to burden them by having them spend thousands of dollars on my education. I could apply for merit based scholarships (GPA of 3.4ish and I scored a 1640 on the SATs my first time around, does anyone know if this will qualify me for anything decent?). I could also take out student loans, but I really don't want to be in debt after graduation. So, I've started to think about enlisting in the service. Here are my concerns with that though:

1. I have flat feet. I heard you can't join with flat feet from some people but others have told me you can. I'm physically fit and can run and they don't bother me too much though.
2. My medical history isn't that clean. I was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 11. We caught it in the early stages though so I didn't have to undergo chemo or radiation. I did have a pretty big chunk of flesh taken out of my left forearm, a few lymph nodes removed from my left side, and I also had a lung biopsy.

I feel like this may prevent me from enlisting in the service. Does anyone know what the policy on flat feet or cancer survivors are? Any help/insight would be appreciated! And also, if anyone would care to give me advice on applying for scholarships and the like I would appreciate that as well. Thanks!
MonsterMetalMus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Trowzaa
phoot

Well, 1, I'm fairly certain is complete bullshit and they don't care about your feet, as long as you can pass the training or whatever.
2, I'm sure they won't care if you used to have cancer but now you don't.

In short, no, none of these things should stop you from being enlisted.

inb4 anti-army comments
Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
MonsterMetalMus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
Well, 1, I'm fairly certain is complete bullshit and they don't care about your feet, as long as you can pass the training or whatever.
2, I'm sure they won't care if you used to have cancer but now you don't.

In short, no, none of these things should stop you from being enlisted.

inb4 anti-army comments

Alright, that sounds reassuring. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Jabels225

As long as your able to pass the physical tests and fire a gun, you're more or less good to go. As it were, if your just looking for tuition assistance, look into national guard. That way you can not waste 4 yrs of enlisted time and still reap the benefits.
Jabels225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I worked for the recruiting command last summer in the Wisconsin National Guard. I remember dealing with a recruit who had a cancer issue. I'll get back to you tomorrow. I can find out what happened with him.

Flat feet usually never disqualifies anyone I've seen. I've also served with the victim of a dog attack who was missing part of his calf, so the forearm could be fine.

I'm not sure about the specifics of the lung biopsy, though. I could see that maybe being an issue, depending on how large of a chunk was taken.

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 11-14-2012 at 12:06 AM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

The flat feet thing doesn't matter, but they won't even know about it until boot camp, unless you volunteer that info.

As for medical history, there are certain red flags that will render you ineligible. However, those things can be waived if someone approves it. Usually, the recruiter will tell you not to volunteer any info, including medical history. I was basically told to say I've never been to the hospital for any reason or had any illnesses.

The military does not check civilian medical records, so anything they know about your medical history will be because you told them.

And I'd like to add that if you're only planning to join for school money, then you might want to reconsider. It's not an easy life, and paying back a student loan over time is far less stressful than 4 years of military life, imo.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Honestly, you are going to have to talk to a recruiter and see what would bar you from enlisting and what wouldn't be a big deal or what could be handled with a waiver.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
MonsterMetalMus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabels225
As long as your able to pass the physical tests and fire a gun, you're more or less good to go. As it were, if your just looking for tuition assistance, look into national guard. That way you can not waste 4 yrs of enlisted time and still reap the benefits.

Ok, that sounds reassuring too. And the national guard sounds like a pretty sweet deal, I'll definitely look into that possibility. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I worked for the recruiting command last summer in the Wisconsin National Guard. I remember dealing with a recruit who had a cancer issue. I'll get back to you tomorrow. I can find out what happened with him.

Flat feet usually never disqualifies anyone I've seen. I've also served with the victim of a dog attack who was missing part of his calf, so the forearm could be fine.

I'm not sure about the specifics of the lung biopsy, though. I could see that maybe being an issue, depending on how large of a chunk was taken.

Ok, if you could get back to me with that info that would be awesome! And as for the lung biopsy, I don't think they took a huge chunk out. I made a recovery to the point where I could breath without pain again within 2 weeks, and from what I've heard that's a pretty short recovery period for a lung surgery. Thanks for you're insight!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
MonsterMetalMus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
The flat feet thing doesn't matter, but they won't even know about it until boot camp, unless you volunteer that info.

As for medical history, there are certain red flags that will render you ineligible. However, those things can be waived if someone approves it. Usually, the recruiter will tell you not to volunteer any info, including medical history. I was basically told to say I've never been to the hospital for any reason or had any illnesses.

The military does not check civilian medical records, so anything they know about your medical history will be because you told them.

And I'd like to add that if you're only planning to join for school money, then you might want to reconsider. It's not an easy life, and paying back a student loan over time is far less stressful than 4 years of military life, imo.

Thanks for the advice! And honestly, I might be using the whole "school money" thing as an excuse to join. I have no idea what I plan to study in college and I'd like to take some time away from school but still do something worthwhile. Joining the service seems like the perfect solution.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
MonsterMetalMus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Honestly, you are going to have to talk to a recruiter and see what would bar you from enlisting and what wouldn't be a big deal or what could be handled with a waiver.

I'll probably strike up a conversation the next time the recruiters make an appearance at my school. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

No matter what any of us here tell you, they will have the most up to date enlistment standards. Seeing how the military is downsizing, the requirements are likely to be more stringent.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMetalMus
Thanks for the advice! And honestly, I might be using the whole "school money" thing as an excuse to join. I have no idea what I plan to study in college and I'd like to take some time away from school but still do something worthwhile. Joining the service seems like the perfect solution.

Which branch do you want to join? The different branches offer some different experiences.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
MonsterMetalMus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Which branch do you want to join? The different branches offer some different experiences.

I haven't quite figured that out yet. I was thinking the navy might be interesting. My grandfather served in the Navy so I figure that family history is a good reason to look into the that particular branch, plus I also love the ocean. I was also thinking about the Airforce, but from what I've heard you have a pretty low chance of actually being physically involved in flight. Along with that, I've also heard that other branches have a larger Airforce than the actual Airforce . I have a few friends that are planning on enlisting in the Marines Corp too, so I've given that some thought as well. But honestly, I'm open to any suggestions. Overall I'd just like to try something new, serve my country, and travel.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Well there are many reasons to choose one branch over another. Family tradition is often a factor, but I don't think it should be the most important one. You should think about what you want to get out of the experience, and what would be disappointed to miss out on.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #15
ErikLensherr
Star-Splitter

You could apply for an ROTC scholarship and get your degree first and then when you did enlist after graduation you'd be an officer. Or an ensign or whatever.

edit: unless that's a gay thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I am fairly cliterate with my hands and mouth.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #16
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Being an officer is an entirely different job/life. Make sure you know what you want to do.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks

Not a solider but this is relevant: Well republicans just filibustered a bill that would have helped US soldiers get jobs as civilians when they where out of the service, so the commercials that say you can get jobs in civilian life from your military experience are lies. Just something you should know.

Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 : 11-14-2012 at 12:56 AM.
zomgguitarz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #18
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgguitarz1234
Not a solider but this is relevant: Well republicans just filibustered a bill that would have helped US soldiers get jobs as civilians when they where out of the service, so the commercials that say you can get jobs in civilian life from your military experience are lies.

y u so dumb tho
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #19
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
y u so dumb tho

Just mentioning that he might have to worry about life after being a soldier.
zomgguitarz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #20
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgguitarz1234
Just mentioning that he might have to worry about life after being a soldier.

Same as everybody else's life. Don't expect any handouts.

Rate This Thread: