Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
HotspurJr

I have to say, I thought your vocal intro to "Level" was terrible - the sort of thing that will actively drive audience members away. You're NOT nailing your pitches and your intonation is terrible.

If I walked in at that moment, I would have turned around and walked right back out.

THe rest of the song is MUCH better, but good god that intro is horrible. The way you guys play the guitar part is abraisive, but then the vocals come in and it just hurts.

You're better than that.

If you've got a full dance floor, and you do that, you'll have an empty dance floor and you might not get it back.

I'd look hard for more moments like that in your set. What are the spots where you are driving an icepick into your audience's ears? Eliminate them.

I'm shocked at how bad that moment is, especially compared to how good you guys are on the rest of the track. But that off-key caterwauling sounds like you actively have contempt for your audience. Given that you guys are otherwise pretty good, you know this, right? You can hear what I'm talking about?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #22
rickyvanh

Alright man,I watched some of your vids.Your list looks good to me.Just practice as much as you can.As far as working the crowd,spread the songs out that get the best reaction strategically.Start strong,but don't blow your load right away.But don't save all the best for last.How to manipulate the crowd is an art in itself.Your band is pretty good,but you can tighten it up a whole bunch.Don't be afraid to dump certain songs that just don't work.You have to find songs that suit your style and vocal range.That takes trial and error.You guys are on the right track,just keep it up!Cheers...
rickyvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #23
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-String_Madman
One does not simply

start a band by
playing originals right away.

My band has apparently done it wrong
Though we tried to learn covers, it just didn't pan out. It was easier to write new songs.

OT, the song choice may not be as big an issue as a much as you going in thinking that the heavens should part for your band alone. The crowd can feel when you harbor a sort of animosity towards them for not dancing to a song that they may not know or may not like. My original band has had new fans dancing, moshing, head banging and all that and we've only played 6 shows so far. We go out with the intention of having a great time and having the audience have a great time, no matter how familiar they maybe with us. Between cover bands and original bands, the similarities are far more numerous than the differences and some people don't recognize that it comes down to you being a performer and giving the audience a good show.

Point is, don't go out with expectations of everyone loving every second. Original bands are up for 30-45 mins. We have a short period to make a big statement and the energy has less time to fizzle away, you guys are up for much longer than that and there is time for you and the crowd to get tired and weary. First few shows won't be awesome for every band, but the whole point of show business is to work out a great show.
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
sonny bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-String_Madman
One does not simply

start a band by
playing originals right away.

I did. We had CD's available at our very first gig and everything.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
Yeah a +1 to the "who cares what people think" school of thought. Play for yourselves.

SOOOO wrong-headed. You want to play for yourselves? Plug in in your basement and play for yourselves. Don't bitch that people aren't digging you, because you're playing for yourselves.

You want an audience to like you? Give 'em what they want! That is such an unbelievably simple formula that I can't believe it needs to be pointed out for people.

You are entertainers. You entertain audiences, not yourselves. F*** me.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #26
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

@dae1337 - Can't listen on this computer, but looking at your setlist, it has potential. It's certainly better than a lot of bands' setlists out there.

That said, it does seem more targeted at older people. Some of those songs were old when I was 17 and playing in bands.... in 1987. Now they're yet another quarter-century older.

This is something that I'm currently struggling with. That is, finding out what, exactly, IS the demographic that goes out to see live cover bands. I'm sure it varies from venue to venue, but then you have to figure out which venues to play at, because the one that draws your forty-and-fifty-something guys and gals is probably also more of a "hang out and drink cheap drafts" kind of place too. Of course, at that age, the people going out to see bands in bars are probably either musicians (who are notorious for not dancing) or divorced (who might actually want to get up and dance, because hanging out by the pool tables is a bad way to meet chicks - even if they are over forty.)

The venues that draw a younger audience probably means that the average age is about 23, meaning most of them were born somewhere around the time Nirvana's "Nevermind" came out. Stones, Mountain, Free.... man, what's next? The Four Tops?

It really is a tough call.

More productive than wondering why the other bands are getting more people on the dance floor might be looking at what songs people are actually getting up and dancing to. Those ones will be the winners.

I'd guess your Franz Ferdinand, Black Keys, Kings of Leon are going to be your grabbers, but I'm not sure all of them are the most "obvious" choices. Like, why not "Sex on Fire" for instance? Even among the classic rock artists, you have some more songs that are more like "B sides" that could easily be replaced by other "known quantities." Like "Young Lust" by Floyd. Yeah, sure, good tune. But there are lots of other Floyd songs that are more recognizable to the average person who is not a musician or over 40. (and yeah, that's kind of a tricky one because if you're going to do Floyd, you can't really do "Another Brick in the Wall" unless you do it better than Floyd. But you could do Brain Damage, or Money, or Mother, or Wish You Were Here, etc.)

CT

Quote:

Last edited by axemanchris : 11-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #27
Dae1337

Thanks CT! Great advice
Dae1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #28
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
SOOOO wrong-headed. You want to play for yourselves? Plug in in your basement and play for yourselves. Don't bitch that people aren't digging you, because you're playing for yourselves.CT

They an go that way if they want... but they also need to go down the originals band route...

Else.... top 40 covers band stuff.... theres no in between it seems...and I think thats probably right
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #29
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Even if it's all originals, I think it still holds. We've all heard the indie-rock band that just churns out blasts of tuneless, dissonant, sludge with jarring and unpredictable rhythms (so unpredictable, in fact, that not even the band can seem to predict it very well), and then try to pass it off as "we're artists, man... We make our music on our terms. We ain't never gonna sell out."

You can't say that in one breath while b!tching in the next how nobody comes to your shows or gets up and dances or buys your CDs or whatever.

... and yet... a lot of them do find a way to obliviously moan about the paradigm they have created for themselves...

CT

Quote:
Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #30
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Yeah true.... the thing about being an originals band is...youve got to have good songs.... and theres a bunch of drivel passed off as art out there for sure...

Did we just agree..?

Weird....and in MT too....!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #31
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

CT

Quote:
Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #32
Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.

You won't necessarily know who is going to turn up to a venue to see you. You'll have a better idea, possibly, if you've played there before. Eitherway, if you are a covers band you'll have a repertiore (and you already do) but I would suggest that you need to react to the crowd i.e. swap songs around, drop songs, add songs as you go to try and play what they want you to play.

Example: You've played a couple of tracks, not much is happening on the dance floor. Then you play a track and people are getting up and having a dance. Damn, the next song is a slow ballad. Think, we'll move that song up the set and play other track that should keep those people up and dancing.
Myshadow46_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #33
cheapr2keepr

I wasn't a fan of the setlist. It was too all over the map. There was a lot of old stuff that'd be great for the 40-50 crowd, but they'd be scratching their bald heads at the other stuff. Conversely, the fresh stuff would be great for a young crowd, but their ADD would send them out for a smoke during the deep classic stuff.

Our band plays mostly covers, and we will spike an original into the mix here and there. As Chris stated, it gets really tough to figure out how to target the audience demographic. I love 80's hard rock/hair metal. It's fun to play and seems to be all about getting drunk/laid. But there are too many out of shape clowns out there wearing wigs, eyeliner, and spandex ( as if it's L.A. circa 1988. As a result, we play 80's hair metal stuff sparingly.

And really obscure covers might as well be originals, or even worse. If only 5 people (including band) know the song, then maybe it wasn't as good a song as you might have thought.
cheapr2keepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #34
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapr2keepr
I wasn't a fan of the setlist. It was too all over the map...

How 'bout this set list?

Hole to Fill
Breaking Out of Hell
Shining Light
Feed My Animal
Trainwreck Zombie
Unbroken
Sold Out
Supermental Beatdown
Soul Exchange
Crazy Love
Angry MF

jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #35
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

None of those titles even sound familiar to me. I'd assume you were an original band. If people came out to party and have a good time, they'd be gone before you got all the way through Shining Light. If they came out to see an original band and found out that these were actually covers, your audience would label you as frauds.

CT

Quote:
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #36
jetwash69

Quote:
None of those titles even sound familiar to me. I'd assume you were an original band. If people came out to party and have a good time, they'd be gone before you got all the way through Shining Light. If they came out to see an original band and found out that these were actually covers, your audience would label you as frauds.

CT

Just a little joke, there CT.

That's some of the songlist off cheapr2keepr's MP3 page, hence the lurk smilie.

I thought it was funny how cheapr2keepr was characterizing the 40 - 50 y/o crowd and figured I'd poke a little fun his way.

Edit: BTW, cheapr2keepr's stuff is pretty cool for what it is, IMHO. OK results, all things considered, with really basic recording setup.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 11-29-2012 at 03:26 AM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #37
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
.....If they came out to see an original band and found out that these were actually covers, your audience would label you as frauds.....

Would they? What about uber-obscure deep cuts? They wouldnt know the difference....

Not specifically disagreeing with you...just interested in exploring that idea a little....
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #38
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Okay, so if you came out to see my original band and we pulled out "That's Life" by Helix, you would likely not recognize it.

Unless we told you it was a cover, you would have no way of knowing otherwise, no?

Now fine, if we did that with one song and the rest of our songs were original, that'd still be pretty cool with most people. "Oh, they threw a cover in there and I didn't realize it. Haha. Neat."

But if you came out to see my original band and you found out our whole set list was covers that nobody recognized, would you not feel somehow cheated? Like we misrepresented ourselves? I mean, your intention was to come and see my original band - not my cover band, no?

And if it was your intention to come out and see my cover band, by the time we got to our third song or so and you found yourself not recognizing a damned thing, would you not wonder what the hell we were doing? Sure you would!

CT

Quote:
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #39
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Thats my whole point though... Ive got no desire to play in a top 40 covers band..... I'd rather learn a bunch of weird arsed songs with the band while we are developing our own material. I certainly wouldnt claim them as originals.... but nor would I claim to be a covers band and then play material nobody knows....

I guess the bridge between the two types of bands is clear.... write a setlists worth of originals... with maybe a cover or two in there...
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #40
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ It really depends if you want gigs/cash or not.

Rate This Thread: