Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
theunforgivn
The UG'er who says NEE!

Getting back with the axe

I used to practice for around an hour or two a day when I first started and got fairly decent. However lately I have not played nearly as much as a used to, maybe an hour a week if I'm lucky due to schooling and learning piano also. I would like to get back to playing more, but I don't really know where to start. I kind of feel boxed in with the same chords, scales, techniques, etc. What would you suggest for getting back into it?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1534114 Check out my song
theunforgivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Wild_One

play guitar as much as you can, everyday if it's possible...

my guitar teacher ever said that it is better to practice guitar 30 minutes a day than 7 hours a week.

I also have to go to school and do other tasks outside school. But I will and MUST find a spare time to play guitar. Even if it is early in the morning or even late at night...

in the end, it's just a matter of determination to play guitar....

Instrumental
Metalcore
Death Metal
80's
Globalized Hoax
Technical Difficulties (Cover)
Wild_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Try balancing your technical stuff with some actual music, perhaps some Etudes as they'll do double duty of both improving your technique and being passable pieces of music.

Leo Brouwer, Gerald Garcia, Heitor Villa Lobos etudes are among my favourites, but there are loads more out there.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Hail
kill both bass players

learn music by ear

don't think of music as chords/techniques/scales - think of it as music. think of it as cohesive sounds.

understanding functionality only helps you if you're constantly expanding that understanding and exploring new sounds and relationships

Last edited by Hail : 11-14-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
wolenjhon
Banned

As a middle aged male, I find the Axe marketing campaign to be a bit (lot) cheesy and I really wanted to hate the product. Of course, I realize I'm not their target client (Axe seems to be going after the gift baskets late teen/early 20's set), so I set out to keep an open mind and judge the product on its performance and not allow my feelings about the marketing cloud my judgement.
wolenjhon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: