a_7_x
x'; DROP TABLE *; --

Lunch time but yeah, dinner ladies.

Lunch is not dinner It's too strange!

"And it's the thrill of life that enables us to flow"
a_7_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #42
StreetLight3989

That's a rough situation you're in, I hope your mom gets better.

How old are you?

As a college student with about $30 to my name, my speciality is cheap and easy dinners.

You're going to want to buy eggs, ramen noodles, and some vegetables of your choice. I make a stir fry with the eggs, ramen, and vegetables almost every night, it's incredibly easy, it's fast, and it taste pretty good.

All you have to do is throw the Ramen in a pan, wait for it to cook a little, beat however many eggs you want to put in the dish, pour the eggs in with the Ramen along with the vegetables. If you want you can also add some cheese and hot sauce.
StreetLight3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #43
metalblaster
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
Aye. It goes:
Breakfast in the morning
Dinner/lunch at about midday
Tea around 6-8
Supper before bed

I hate how there isn't a universal thing for how meals are named

Supper before bed? and you have a 6 to 8 hour gap between lunch and another meal?

**** dude. My stomach would be churning itself.

I do breakfast, whenever I wake up. Then lunch at around 12. The supper at 5 usually. And I'm usually always snacking during the day. Really I rarely go without eating for more than 3-4 hours.

Also, I wouldn't be able to sleep if I ate a full supper before bed. Plus my esophagus would pay dearly for it because of my reflux.
metalblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #44
skylerjames13
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLight3989
That's a rough situation you're in, I hope your mom gets better.

How old are you?

As a college student with about $30 to my name, my speciality is cheap and easy dinners.

You're going to want to buy eggs, ramen noodles, and some vegetables of your choice. I make a stir fry with the eggs, ramen, and vegetables almost every night, it's incredibly easy, it's fast, and it taste pretty good.

All you have to do is throw the Ramen in a pan, wait for it to cook a little, beat however many eggs you want to put in the dish, pour the eggs in with the Ramen along with the vegetables. If you want you can also add some cheese and hot sauce.

I'm 17. I would just buy that easy stuff but I have to take care of my brother too. That's the thing :/
skylerjames13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #45
Jackal58
Pit Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerjames13
My mother is in the hospital right now for mental diseases/problems.
No, she isn't really.

I'm going to pay her bills online. I have access to her bank account and everything (which I've never taken advantage of or anything)

We get the bills through the mail. I'm going to check the mail every two days or so.

Your biggest problem is preventing whatever social agency you guys have in your area finding out about you and your brother. What you are doing even though it's the right thing is most likely illegal. You aren't 18 yet so you can't get a power of attorney to take care of your mothers obligations. My best advice if you think this is going to be a long term situation would be to seek the advice of a lawyer before the state steps in and fucks everything up in the name of good intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jackal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #46
eGraham
¬cool

Quote:
Dinner/lunch
Dinner/tea

Was the break at school between 12pm-1pm not called dinner time for you? Did you not have dinner ladies?

Are you ****ing serious right now?
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #47
StreetLight3989

Quote:
I'm 17. I would just buy that easy stuff but I have to take care of my brother too. That's the thing :/

That's rough dude, but like the post above me says if you're going to be without a legal adult in the household for a long time and don't want to get sent into foster care you should get some legal help.
StreetLight3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #48
Mark Roxx
UG Dismember

Buy a hot n ready little caesars for $5.41 EVERY NIGHT
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #49
eGraham
¬cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Roxx
Buy a hot n ready little caesars for $5.41 EVERY NIGHT

5.41?

5.35 here. EAT MY TAX RATE!
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #50
Mark Roxx
UG Dismember

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
5.41?

5.35 here. EAT MY TAX RATE!

GOD DAMMIT!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #51
metalblaster
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal58
Your biggest problem is preventing whatever social agency you guys have in your area finding out about you and your brother. What you are doing even though it's the right thing is most likely illegal. You aren't 18 yet so you can't get a power of attorney to take care of your mothers obligations. My best advice if you think this is going to be a long term situation would be to seek the advice of a lawyer before the state steps in and fucks everything up in the name of good intentions.

If he's actually from Canada I can say for sure that there are social benefits that are within his grasp. Figuring all of it out at 17 may prove challenging.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #52
metalblaster
UG Newbie

TS do you have any other family to help you out?

Also, I don't know how old your brother is. But he may need to sort of have a moment to realize that he has to step up and fulfill a role. Maybe he's too young understand. I mean if he's like 7, obviously there's not much he can do. Then again, if your mother isn't there, maybe instill that sort of ''stepping it up'' attitude in him would be a good idea.

It may not be an ideal childhood, but **** the negative, and grasp positive, as well as the lessons you may learn. Nobody chooses their cards in life, everybody makes do with what they have. Some are luckier than others. Some, not so lucky. Dying while trying holds no shame. Of course I'm not actually talking about dying, but you get it. As long you never lose hope, and never stop trying, no matter how hard or often you get kicked back onto the ground.

This may be a weird saying, and maybe it's just one that I can understand better for myself; but in the infantry we're constantly told to never stop trying. Never ever, ever, ever stop trying. You stop when you're dead. Until then, keep fighting the good fight and remember that if you're still alive, then you're still in the game.

Maybe a confrontational/oppositional mentality is a difficult one to attribute to real life, but it works for some people.

Last edited by metalblaster : 11-14-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #53
Jackal58
Pit Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalblaster
If he's actually from Canada I can say for sure that there are social benefits that are within his grasp. Figuring all of it out at 17 may prove challenging.

Was more concerned with he and his brother becoming wards of the state and being placed in foster care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jackal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #54
Trowzaa
phoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
Are you ****ing serious right now?

Sounds beter than ****ing recess. That sounds like some prison shit.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #55
a_7_x
x'; DROP TABLE *; --

Quote:
Sounds beter than ****ing recess. That sounds like some prison shit.

Dat theme tune.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #56
skylerjames13
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal58

I live in a very small town, and we have no lawyers here (plus I don't have close to the kind of cash to pay a lawyer)
We only have 3 cops in my town, and I know all of them fairly well. They wouldn't turn us in to Child and Family services. At least I'm hoping. If they do, we'd just go live at my aunties. If we have any troubles here, or just can't do it on our own we decided to go over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalblaster
TS do you have any other family to help you out?

Also, I don't know how old your brother is. But he may need to sort of have a moment to realize that he has to step up and fulfill a role. Maybe he's too young understand. I mean if he's like 7, obviously there's not much he can do. Then again, if your mother isn't there, maybe instill that sort of ''stepping it up'' attitude in him would be a good idea.

It may not be an ideal childhood, but **** the negative, and grasp positive, as well as the lessons you may learn. Nobody chooses their cards in life, everybody makes do with what they have. Some are luckier than others. Some, not so lucky. Dying while trying holds no shame. Of course I'm not actually talking about dying, but you get it. As long you never lose hope, and never stop trying, no matter how hard or often you get kicked back onto the ground.

This may be a weird saying, and maybe it's just one that I can understand better for myself; but in the infantry we're constantly told to never stop trying. Never ever, ever, ever stop trying. You stop when you're dead. Until then, keep fighting the good fight and remember that if you're still alive, then you're still in the game.

Maybe a confrontational/oppositional mentality is a difficult one to attribute to real life, but it works for some people.

Damn, thanks for the pep talk bro.
He's 14, and I was 12 when I had to start raising my brother so I'm hoping he'll step up as well. I've talked to him about it a few times, though I don't know if I've gotten the point across or not.

And yeah, I have an auntie that lives here and if shit gets rough we're just gonna go stay over there. I'm just worried about everything else.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #57
a_7_x
x'; DROP TABLE *; --

For bills - I probably wouldn't just wait and check every few days. If you have access to online accounts and online banking, go in and look it all over and make up an excel finance sheet of what needs paid and when and budget for meals etc.

You could ask your aunt to make large things like lasagne dishes or soup and you could freeze them and have them a few times a week and for the other days just cook simple, easy stuff like what has already been suggested.

This will be tough - but if your bro is still in school and I assume you are too, you need to make sure you both stay focused. It's a pretty tough time and it'd be easy to neglect school as it may seem unimportant now, but if you're looking after him you need to make sure he doesn't start slipping with it. Like, when he comes home - make sure he does homework and probably some cleaning too. That will probably be weird enforcing on a brother 3 years your junior but from what you say it sounds like you have been in a more parental role with him for a while now.

Whatever happens - good luck and don't be scared to reach out to family or friends whenever you need help!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #58
Harvey Swick
UGs Token Native American

wow i am actually flattered you included me in the OP.
i hope your mom is doing well and she gets better soon.
the thing with managing a household is to make sure everyone knows their role and fulfills it to the best of their ability. as far as household management goes, make sure you stay organized and using a computer helps. keep track of bills paid and bills that need to be paid on an excel sheet or Microsoft Word. plan a budget and stick to it.
write up a sheet of household chores like sweeping, mopping, dishes, etc. with alternating chores for each person on each day so you can maintain equality.

as far as meals go, simplicity is best. a main course with a side of veggies is great, bratwursts with macncheese and fried potatoes, or fried chicken with fries and peas and carrots. invest in some box meals if your budget is tight hamburger Helper is great and spaghetti w/garlic bread is a great simple dish that is easily prepared.

try not to let the small things get to you. at times you may feel like it is useless, or that youre not good enough, or you may feel the weight of the world on your shoulders. just shrug it off and remember that your family loves and depends on you. try to do something you enjoy for a few minutes out of the day, whether its, listening to music, playing guitar, or just going for a walk with your siblings. find some little thing to keep your mind out of the dumps.

that's all i got for now, but if you need anything else PM me or post it here.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #59
metalblaster
UG Newbie

Quote:
I live in a very small town, and we have no lawyers here (plus I don't have close to the kind of cash to pay a lawyer)
We only have 3 cops in my town, and I know all of them fairly well. They wouldn't turn us in to Child and Family services. At least I'm hoping. If they do, we'd just go live at my aunties. If we have any troubles here, or just can't do it on our own we decided to go over there.

In any case you'd most likely have to go out somewhere looking for a lawyer. The cash is a different story. I'm sure there are ways that the federal and provincial government can provide legal services if not maybe even fund legal services. And honestly, if you know these cops fairly well, rest assured they know lawyers. Lawyers and cops usually are like oil and water, but some actually have very close relationships from past experiences. Basically, I think that could be a way to get in contact with a lawyer. And I'd be surprised to see a lawyer make a 17 year old (this is all assuming this is possible because of your age) pay an arm and a leg for a custody agreement or whatnot. They're devils sometimes, but simple things like that, for a kid? I'm sure they can live without the 90% service markup just for once.

Quote:
Damn, thanks for the pep talk bro.
He's 14, and I was 12 when I had to start raising my brother so I'm hoping he'll step up as well. I've talked to him about it a few times, though I don't know if I've gotten the point across or not.

And yeah, I have an auntie that lives here and if shit gets rough we're just gonna go stay over there. I'm just worried about everything else.

That's also a strong point to keep in mind TS. You've been raising your brother for a while and taking care of your mother. If you can show that you are keeping things in check, and are truly responsible then you've got a good thing going.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #60
skylerjames13
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_7_x
For bills - I probably wouldn't just wait and check every few days. If you have access to online accounts and online banking, go in and look it all over and make up an excel finance sheet of what needs paid and when and budget for meals etc.

You could ask your aunt to make large things like lasagne dishes or soup and you could freeze them and have them a few times a week and for the other days just cook simple, easy stuff like what has already been suggested.

This will be tough - but if your bro is still in school and I assume you are too, you need to make sure you both stay focused. It's a pretty tough time and it'd be easy to neglect school as it may seem unimportant now, but if you're looking after him you need to make sure he doesn't start slipping with it. Like, when he comes home - make sure he does homework and probably some cleaning too. That will probably be weird enforcing on a brother 3 years your junior but from what you say it sounds like you have been in a more parental role with him for a while now.

Whatever happens - good luck and don't be scared to reach out to family or friends whenever you need help!

As for the bills thing, my mother is gonna be calling me and walking me through it so I know what to do. Then once I know how, I'll be able to do it.
We are pretty poor as she cannot work and is on disability and we don't make enough to live off usually/just enough to get by so figuring out how much money goes to what bill is gonna be a bit challenging.

Yeah I've talked with my auntie and she said she'll make big suppers for us frequently so we don't have to worry too much about feeding ourselves.

and yeah, we're gonna have to stick it through school. We're both pretty bad for missing school and being late, but that's gonna change. So far we haven't missed school (despite it only being two days) and unless either him or I are throwing up, we're going.

Thanks dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Swick
wow i am actually flattered you included me in the OP.
i hope your mom is doing well and she gets better soon.
the thing with managing a household is to make sure everyone knows their role and fulfills it to the best of their ability. as far as household management goes, make sure you stay organized and using a computer helps. keep track of bills paid and bills that need to be paid on an excel sheet or Microsoft Word. plan a budget and stick to it.
write up a sheet of household chores like sweeping, mopping, dishes, etc. with alternating chores for each person on each day so you can maintain equality.

as far as meals go, simplicity is best. a main course with a side of veggies is great, bratwursts with macncheese and fried potatoes, or fried chicken with fries and peas and carrots. invest in some box meals if your budget is tight hamburger Helper is great and spaghetti w/garlic bread is a great simple dish that is easily prepared.

try not to let the small things get to you. at times you may feel like it is useless, or that youre not good enough, or you may feel the weight of the world on your shoulders. just shrug it off and remember that your family loves and depends on you. try to do something you enjoy for a few minutes out of the day, whether its, listening to music, playing guitar, or just going for a walk with your siblings. find some little thing to keep your mind out of the dumps.

that's all i got for now, but if you need anything else PM me or post it here.

I'll try out the budget planning and chore planning stuff with the excel/word things. That sounds like it could be pretty practical if I get organized.

The meal suggestions don't sound that bad either, they seem simple enough for me to handle. Thanks a lot for the help, and thanks for the encouragement. Means a lot

Rate This Thread: