Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
danifloss

From chords to fingerstyle

I've found the chords to a song I'd like to learn but personally I like to play songs fingerstyle.

Is it just a matter of holding the chord shapes down and plucking a finger pattern? Or is it more complex because I'm trying to convert the given chords into fingerstyle but it sounds unrecognisable.

What am I doing wrong?
danifloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Bikewer

The entry point for most people to fingerstyle playing is indeed pattern picking or what we used to call "Travis picking". Just playing patterns over chords.
You then learn to add the typical embellishments; hammer-ons and pull-offs, little bass runs, that sort of thing.
Then you can go from one pattern to another, and finally learn to throw in single-note runs and even chordal runs and such. You can get a lot of mileage out of this....Numbers of very fine players still just do slightly-more-advanced versions of these techniques.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifloss
I've found the chords to a song I'd like to learn but personally I like to play songs fingerstyle.

Is it just a matter of holding the chord shapes down and plucking a finger pattern? Or is it more complex because I'm trying to convert the given chords into fingerstyle but it sounds unrecognisable.

What am I doing wrong?

what is your goal? Are you trying to play melody and harmony/bass simultaneously like this ? If so, you kinda got a long road ahead of you, cause most guys who play like that are pretty good at arranging, not just raw fingerpicking technique itself.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
danifloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
what is your goal? Are you trying to play melody and harmony/bass simultaneously like this ? If so, you kinda got a long road ahead of you, cause most guys who play like that are pretty good at arranging, not just raw fingerpicking technique itself.

Wow. What an amazing guitarist that player is.

I just want an accompaniment to my singing. I will be singing the melody.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
danifloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
The entry point for most people to fingerstyle playing is indeed pattern picking or what we used to call "Travis picking". Just playing patterns over chords.
You then learn to add the typical embellishments; hammer-ons and pull-offs, little bass runs, that sort of thing.
Then you can go from one pattern to another, and finally learn to throw in single-note runs and even chordal runs and such. You can get a lot of mileage out of this....Numbers of very fine players still just do slightly-more-advanced versions of these techniques.

Thanks this is quite informative - I've got a long way to go!

Rate This Thread: