Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
TheKraken
Karmic Shift

Difference between Baritone and Standard

I've had my Epiphone SG tuned down to B standard for a while now, as it doesn't really have much other use (it was an 80 guitar that I bought to mod without fear of damage).

The tension on the strings is obviously very low, even though I've pushed all the strings up (so it's a 46 as the 2nd string etc.), so I wondered if it was possible to increase the scale length by either extending the neck or getting/building a new neck.

I have a strong feeling this wouldn't work, but not knowing too much about differences between the construction of the 2 types, thought I'd ask those that have the wisdom.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
TheKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
gib_ber

Just get thick enough strings and you should be fine. Something like the GHS Zakk Wylde low tuning boomer set which is .011-.70. The conversion to make the cheap epiphone sg into a baritone sg could be fun, but reaaaally expensive.
gib_ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
whoomit

It would be possible to make a new neck yeah, but not really worth it. I'd use some 12 gauge strings.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
TheKraken
Karmic Shift

My current string gauges are 52, 46, 36, 26, 17, 13 (The B is really loose, but it's from a Skinny Top Heavy Bottom set I had spare) but I can still bend up 3 - 4 whole tones on each string. How thick would I need to go to get the tension to a point where I can bend maybe only 1 whole tone?

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
TheKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

probably too thick. i run 16-80 on my 28.75 scale baritone tuned to a standard and i can still bend at least 1 whole tone.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
C0FF1NF33D3R
Banned

Baritones have a longer scale length than normal guitars. Most come from the factory tuned to B standard. I'd use a set of 13-62 or a set with at least a 58 on the low E and a 13 on the high E string. A 52 as the low E is way too light to use as a B, unless you're trying to sound like Tom Warrior from Celtic Frost/Triptykon.
C0FF1NF33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: