Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
WNxScythe

Pinkerton is so good

I hadn't listened to this album in a few years but man, it just hits like an emotional brick.

Just makes me want to get up and scream ya know?

Listening to it for extended periods of time puts me into this nostalgia trance, which is a testament to the power of the music because I got into it during a period of my life where not many "memories" happened (basically just working, and living in a city full of strangers)

I'd kill to hear Weezer play this album front to back live, which I think they did a few years ago but I didn't know it was going on

It's funny because I didn't like it much at all at first.

Last edited by WNxScythe : 11-14-2012 at 07:04 PM.
WNxScythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
getmad24_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxScythe
I hadn't listened to this album in a few years but man, it just hits like an emotional brick.

Just makes me want to get up and scream ya know?

Listening to it for extended periods of time puts me into this nostalgia trance, which is a testament to the power of the music because I got into it during a period of my life where not many "memories" happened (basically just working, and living in a city full of strangers)

I'd kill to hear Weezer play this album front to back live, which I think they did a few years ago but I didn't know it was going on

It's funny because I didn't like it much at all at first.

They are still doing the memories tour right now, iirc. I think they just did it in Orlando. But I'm not sure. I saw it on the weezer cruise, Jose from ozma was right next to me singing back and forth with me on El Scorcho, it was amazingly cool.

And yeah, Pinkerton is an amazing album. One of my all time favorites, for sure. Even for Pinkerton era songs that weren't on it, like Tragic Girl, they still hit you the same way.

Also I named my cat pinkerton.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
stratomaster123

The ending to that album kills me every single time. Just breaks my heart. I love the whole thing and then it turns on me haha

also the whole album seems to have this really desperate, i don't care anymore vibe. I haven't really heard anything like it and can't exactly describe it...
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals

Last edited by stratomaster123 : 11-14-2012 at 10:47 PM.
stratomaster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'

But Thats Just A Stupid Dream That I Wont Realize Cuz I Cant Even Look In Your Eyes

Last edited by turncoat60% : 11-14-2012 at 10:49 PM.
turncoat60% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
due 07
haaan

due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds

Due, did you write that?

TheReverend724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
due 07
haaan

I wish. I think it's well-written and everything, only I find Capitalizing Random Words In Mock Catchphrase Fashion to be very irritating.

I think Pinkerton is a pretty good [musically], but I always kind of chuckle when people relate to it or something, because the lyrics are not only exceedingly crass and misogynistic, but let's be honest, they're clearly prosaic bs.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'

dammit due. this is one of the albums i relate to the most. obviously some of the lyrics are creppy af and gross at times but i would rather a songwriter be genuine and say whats on his mind, even if it is weird or creepy, than hold back in fear of being judged. ya its not the most poetic piece of work but damn you can tell he spilled his guts into this album.

idk it may be degrading to women but i think he does an amazing job portraying the sexual frustrations that alot of guys go through. ¯\_('-')_/¯
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Mack56
mackabre

I thought it was well-written and a good read but I disagreed with some parts of the interpretation the author had with some of it.

But really due, the reason people relate to it is the same reason some of the lyrics are crass and misogynistic and it's also the same reason Rivers kind of hated the album for a while after the fact. It's the inner monologue of an immature, socially inept guy going to college. It's obviously not full of nice, healthy attitudes and it gets pretty damn dark, but it's honest to a fault and the darkness isn't being hidden.

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
Mack56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack56
I thought it was well-written and a good read but I disagreed with some parts of the interpretation the author had with some of it.

But really due, the reason people relate to it is the same reason some of the lyrics are crass and misogynistic and it's also the same reason Rivers kind of hated the album for a while after the fact. It's the inner monologue of an immature, socially inept guy going to college. It's obviously not full of nice, healthy attitudes and it gets pretty damn dark, but it's honest to a fault and the darkness isn't being hidden.

better than i could say it. totally agree.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
due 07
haaan

I get that it's 'honest' or whatever. I admire diaristic lyrics as much as the next guy, but idgaf that something is honest if I object to its content lol.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Mack56
mackabre

It's fine if you object to the content. The point is most people who relate to it aren't extremely proud of the dark or creepy moments involved in said relation. It's just the knowledge that someone else has been there and laid it out in front of the world is a bit comforting.

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
Mack56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
bradulator
through being cool

Mack is right.

I haven't listened to Pinkerton in a while because I haven't been hurtin' romantically. But when I was it was perfect. I would rather listen to Blue, but Pinkerton is just so great when you're feeling it.

Sady Doyle needs a life.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
bradulator
through being cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
I get that it's 'honest' or whatever. I admire diaristic lyrics as much as the next guy, but idgaf that something is honest if I object to its content lol.

Why do you listen to a lot of rap music then?
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
wizards?
Pimpin' Ain't Parise

Location: That mythical place that all those Replacements and Hold Steady songs are about
I'm dumb she's a lesbian
I thought I had found the one
We were good as married in my mind
but married in my mind's no good

wizards? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
Why do you listen to a lot of rap music then?

because i like it same reason i listen to all music
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #17
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds

Feel the same as brad, Mack, and turncoat

TheReverend724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
spitonastranger
Kinski Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
I wish. I think it's well-written and everything, only I find Capitalizing Random Words In Mock Catchphrase Fashion to be very irritating.

It's ok Due, Rivers made sex simulatenously safer and more intense for me too
spitonastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
daytripper75
First Sword of Braavos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack56

Spot on.

Great album. I've been a huge fan of Weezer since about 6th grade, so...1998? 1999? Something like that.

I just wish most of the new stuff held up to their first 3-4 albums. They have a couple of good songs on their new albums, but overall they've been disappointing.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
daytripper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
due 07
haaan

Hurley is pretty good. Green is terrrrrrible.

Rate This Thread: