Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
VillainousLatin
That Latino Guy

From what I've heard, it helps to look at someone you feel comfortable while doing the presentation, obviously not all the time but fall back to him/her every time you feel nervous.

PS: I'm talking out of my ass because when I give oral presentations I get super nervous and sweat like a pig... which makes me more nervous so I sweat even more until I finish my presentation... it sucks.

Also, I'm reading this with interest since I somehow managed to screw myself and volunteer to act a scene of a play in front of a group... seriously, being as socially awkward as I am I don't know how I managed to **** myself over like this.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

I used to be bad at it and would get nervous and fumble through it. But here's how I got over it: stop caring. Prepare as best you can, but then stop caring.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Nelshizzle
Find a place and go there

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
So here's the deal. I got asked to do a presentation on ethnic music and instruments for this music appreciation class this friday. I'm going to do it, but I'm terrified of speaking to large groups of people (especially ones I don't know). Anybody got some tips for me to not be so terrified and awful when I go in to do this presentation? Do I make eye contact with the students? If so, how long? Just simple shit like that makes me paranoid. Halp

Whenever I did presentations I would imagine that everyone in the room did not give a shit. They didn't care if I stuttered, they didn't care if I made a good or bad joke, they were just as nervous as me and that we all worked together somehow in order to get through this nerve wrecking situation. It always worked for me.

Also, try to look at everyone's noses or forehead instead of making eye contact. Some eyes can divert your thinking elsewhere.

Not enough action

Too much action

Not enough thoughts
Nelshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
Demon Wolf
GT's Iron Fisted Leader

Yep it is true, it is some sort of general tip for speaking in public.

I can't comment because I am super-relaxed talking to big groups, I love it. But I haven't really practiced either and I usually don't prepare too much, don't bog yourself down in notes. Keep a few short sentences as support and free talk.
Demon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Open your face and use your diaphragm to propel air through your vibrating larynx and vocal folds. Take breaths between sentences.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Carnivean
Banned

A couple of years ago I had to give a very intricate final economics presentation to my class and renowned economics professor. I didn't understand the concepts, and could only memorize the content. I was freaking out.

Not knowing what to do, I bought and chugged an entire 32oz redstripe in the bathroom before going to class. This turned out to be way more than I could handle in such a short time, and I was pretty much drunk after sitting in class 5 minutes.

I dunno, the rest is a blur...
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
JustRooster
Organ Donor

There's a chapter in the book Mindhacker about memorization that really helped me out. Instead of just reading through your prepared note cards thoroughly to memorize them, read through them and try your hardest to memorize the first sentence of every card. I find that with all the songs and speeches I write that if I remember the first sentence of each paragraph or stanza, the rest comes to me pretty easy. That'll help eliminate the um's and er's.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #28
raoooos
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsean
Whenever I did presentations I would imagine that everyone in the room did not give a shit. They didn't care if I stuttered, they didn't care if I made a good or bad joke, they were just as nervous as me and that we all worked together somehow in order to get through this nerve wrecking situation. It always worked for me.

This is good advice. I also remind myself that I don't laugh or look down on others when they're nervous or make mistakes in their presentations, and that everyone else is the same when it's me doing the presenting.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #29
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

The best advice I can give is to not screw up, because if you screw up, the consequences will be devastating. Everyone is going to think you're an idiot, it will be incredibly humiliating, and you will probably get jumped/murdered.

Nah, I'm kidding. Just relax and realize a lot of the students might not be paying as much attention as you think. Not trying to be insulting, but this approach always helped me with public presentations.

EDIT: Oh, you're a teacher? I was thinking you were a student making a presentation. In that case, I can't really help too much because I have no real classroom teaching experience.

Last edited by MrDo0m : 11-15-2012 at 03:16 PM.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #30
Venice King
UG Monkey

Just be confident, which is easier said than done, even if you feel like you're faking, pretend to be confident it will come across well.
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Venice King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #31
eGraham
Logjammin'

Before you go in, if you have any doubts, just remind yourself that it has to be done. It won't last forever.

That's what I do, anyway. "I don't have an option, so might as well make it as good as possible."

Then I dive out of the plane and take out as many Vietcong as I can before I go down.

October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #32
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean
A couple of years ago I had to give a very intricate final economics presentation to my class and renowned economics professor. I didn't understand the concepts, and could only memorize the content. I was freaking out.

Not knowing what to do, I bought and chugged an entire 32oz redstripe in the bathroom before going to class. This turned out to be way more than I could handle in such a short time, and I was pretty much drunk after sitting in class 5 minutes.

I dunno, the rest is a blur...
What was your grade?
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #33
Trowzaa
munchy crunchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoooos
People legit give that advice? I thought Trousers was just taking the piss.

I was I was assuming they were minors.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #34
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Boy, the lot of you sure give bad advice.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #35
Jackal58
Pit Daddy

Eye contact scan more than a stare down. Speak a bit louder than you normally would. That will prevent you from stumbling over your words. Don't scream just be loud. Works.
Don't worry about content. You know your stuff or you would not have been invited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jackal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #36
Mark Roxx
Thor Reincarnated

Imagine the attractive portion of the female audience is naked.
Mark Roxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #37
Carnivean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
What was your grade?

I got a B in that course. It was economic growth and development. Very hard. I didn't even have the prereqs for it; I dunno how in the hell the prof let me stay in there.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #38
ThrashUnleashed
caught w/the wack calzone

My trick is that I never have solid script with specific things to say, that just makes me more nervous. I just have general guide lines, and keep it somewhat casual. If your teacher wouldn't mind this, and you're not bad at improvising to a certain degree, this will definitely help.
ThrashUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #39
Ometh
nobody

Shoot all the black people. Shoot them dead. DEAD.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #40
way Of the dodo

Get stinking drunk..acid may be in order too.. it's clearly easier to lecture elves and such.
way Of the dodo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: