Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
ChucklesMginty
lol

Limiting input in Reaper?

Recording some guitar into Reaper and noticed the input signal is way too loud, it's not audibly clipping but I can see the top of the sound wave getting cut off. I tried using the Pad input on my UX2 but it's still too loud.

I'm just recording direct and using VST plugins, which I have set to make the signal quieter. Haven't used Reaper in ages but I don't remember this happening.

How do I limit the signal?

But seriously, everybody knows skeletons don't exist in real life.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Turn down the gain on the interface's preamp? That's what you should be doing, because you need to stop the signal clipping BEFORE it is converted into a digital signal by the DAW. Once it hits the DAW (as in, recording - not monitoring), if it is already clipping, it's irreversible.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Turn down the gain on the interface's preamp? That's what you should be doing, because you need to stop the signal clipping BEFORE it is converted into a digital signal by the DAW. Once it hits the DAW (as in, recording - not monitoring), if it is already clipping, it's irreversible.

Would turning down the channel fader in Reaper not have the same effect? Doesn't that control the level for the recording?
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
ChucklesMginty
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath

I'll have a look round the settings, I guess something changed since that last time I used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Would turning down the channel fader in Reaper not have the same effect? Doesn't that control the level for the recording?

No, it just turns down the level of a recording that's already clipping.

But seriously, everybody knows skeletons don't exist in real life.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
No, it just turns down the level of a recording that's already clipping.

OK. Didn't know 'cause I've always left those virtual faders alone for recording and set the levels on my mixer, which happens to also have a 12-channel USB interface. That way I don't have issues with clipping in the monitors (which I drive from the mixer, not the computer).
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: