Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
PLVNET

Question Stereo Rig Troubleshoot. Who can help?

Okay, I'm definitely not a newbie when it comes to creating a "Franken-Rig". I've been running stereo for several years now. I used to slave Mesa Dual Rec into a MusicMan Rd100, but I recently downsized my rig and sought new tone because the Boogie wasn't doing it for me anymore.

Enter the Vox Night Train 50 watt head and matching cab. Tonally, it's phenomenal and more of what I wanted. Has a great effects loop (unlike the Dual Rec which carried some extra noise). At first I was just ecstatic with my new tone, but then I began feeling the itch to have that stereo sound again. I found the EHX 44 Magnum to be an inexpensive and light weight amp to push my wet signal through another cab.

Here's my issue: When I plug straight into the 44 Mag and into the cab, it's a VERY clean sound, BUT when I run my stereo out to the 44, I started getting a high pitch hum. It kind of sounds like a gnat. To boot, the same high pitch hum starts affecting my other cab with the NT50H pushing. Anyone Have any ideas on why this is happening? I will attempt to show my signal chain below.

"Dry Rig"
Guitar<-> TC Polytune<->MXR DynaComp<-->MXR Smart Gate<-->EHX POG2<-->BBE Green Screamer<-->EHX Electric Mistress<--Main out---->Vox NT 50 <--16ohms-->NT212

"Effects Loop"
Vox Night Train Effects Send<---> EHX MemoryBoy<--->EHX Holy Grail Nano<---->Boss DD6 (MONO in)<---> Nightrain Effects return.

"Wet Side"
EHX Electric Mistress<---Stereo out---->Boss DD6 Stereo in<----out to---> BBE Sonic Maximizer<---->EHX 44 Magnum<----> Custom 16 ohm 2x12 Cab

If that ^ makes sense. PLEASE HELP! The little 'gnat' sound is standing between me and an otherwise incredible stereo rig.
PLVNET is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: