Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #21
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Why does everyone get all butthurt and won't accept that wood doesn't make a tonal difference? It's like evoultion...

I'm not butthurt at all. I hope you're not one of those people that assumes everyone is hostile when they disagree with you.

And until you can prove your point with objective facts, your opinion will be subject to criticism. So feel free to put your opinion out there, but don't get upset if someone questions it.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #22
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd
 
MegadethFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery


This is a video of two "identical" guitars made of different body wood so have a listen.

I do find these discussions interesting but they always go the same way.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
Ok you seemed to dismiss my point.

Heres guitar A, what of plywood and garbage. Here's guitar B made of the highest quality mahoney. The ONLY THING that is different about the guitar is what the guitar's body is made of and everything else is built to scale, same pickups, electronics, tone and volume pots, etc.

You are saying that those two guitars would sound the same? Because if you think they would, you have no business playing guitar.


They WOULD! Alright, I already mentioned this above, but using your logic, on a fingerboard, you'd get a different tone on your 3rd, 5th, and 7th fret because the inlay material is completely different then that of the actual fingerboard wood.

I don't have evidence like that for the body wood; but do you REALLY think the wood is going to make a difference on a magnet? Really.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #24
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18


This is a video of two "identical" guitars made of different body wood so have a listen.

I do find these discussions interesting but they always go the same way.

unless they're using the same EXACT pickups (since no two are the same) and it's the same height, it's invalid.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #25
zilant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Why does everyone get all butthurt and won't accept that wood doesn't make a tonal difference? It's like evoultion...




When the argument is so bad your not sure it's a troll...

Last edited by zilant : 11-14-2012 at 11:16 PM.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #26
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Why does everyone get all butthurt and won't accept that wood doesn't make a tonal difference? It's like evoultion...


Evolution has evidence to back it up, whereas your claims have none whatsoever.
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #27
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
Evolution has evidence to back it up, whereas your claims have none whatsoever.

IT DOES HAVE EVIDENCE, LOOK AT MY POST JUST ABOVE.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #28
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I'm not butthurt at all. I hope you're not one of those people that assumes everyone is hostile when they disagree with you.

And until you can prove your point with objective facts, your opinion will be subject to criticism. So feel free to put your opinion out there, but don't get upset if someone questions it.


No, it's just beyond me how stupid everyone can be (But you actually had some logical points that would make me believe there's a tonal wood difference)
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #29
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilant
When the argument is so bad your not sure it's a troll...

When you're such an idiot you take the one post with no evidence and try say my argument is bad just off that.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #30
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
They WOULD! Alright, I already mentioned this above, but using your logic, on a fingerboard, you'd get a different tone on your 3rd, 5th, and 7th fret because the inlay material is completely different then that of the actual fingerboard wood.

I don't have evidence like that for the body wood; but do you REALLY think the wood is going to make a difference on a magnet? Really.

It's like you didn't read a word I put out there
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #31
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
They WOULD! Alright, I already mentioned this above, but using your logic, on a fingerboard, you'd get a different tone on your 3rd, 5th, and 7th fret because the inlay material is completely different then that of the actual fingerboard wood.

I don't have evidence like that for the body wood; but do you REALLY think the wood is going to make a difference on a magnet? Really.


Well using your logic there's no reason to make guitars out of wood at all, there's no reason for guitar companies to make guitars out of different kinds of wood. But guess what, THEY DO. AND THERE IS A REASON.

And the magnet is simply not the only thing that affects the guitar's tone
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #32
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
Well using your logic there's no reason to make guitars out of wood at all, there's no reason for guitar companies to make guitars out of different kinds of wood. But guess what, THEY DO. AND THERE IS A REASON.

And the magnet is simply not the only thing that affects the guitar's tone


They companies only do it for marketing, plus wood is really easy to work with since guitars have weird curves.

And yes, your pickup is a magnet. It picks up a strings magnetic vibration. It goes to your amp. It's simply impossible for the wood it sits on to change the amount of bass, treble, etc. the pickup picks up.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #33
zilant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
When you're such an idiot you take the one post with no evidence and try say my argument is bad just off that.



It was much easier than quoting all of your posts.



Do you honestly believe people pay for superior tonewoods just to hear them acoustically?
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #34
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd
 
MegadethFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
unless they're using the same EXACT pickups (since no two are the same) and it's the same height, it's invalid.


Surprisingly I've actually never heard anyone say that, I've thought about it myself though. You hear about people trying loads of the same model of guitar but you never hear anyone say "I had to try 10 EMG 85s before I found one I liked"

There are a lot of variables and it is hard to determine which ones are actually making a difference, I mean does persons fingerprint affects tone?
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #35
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilant
It was much easier than quoting all of your posts.



Do you honestly believe people pay for superior tonewoods just to hear them acoustically?


People pay for "superior" tonewoods because they think there's actually a difference! The companies know this! They know they can make lots of money off it!
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #36
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
This thread:

__________________
Gibson, Peavey, Washburn, Ibanez and Comic Saaaans

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #37
zilant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
People pay for "superior" tonewoods because they think there's actually a difference! The companies know this! They know they can make lots of money off it!



You sound like a 9-11 "truther".


Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
This thread:





Congrats. You win Laugh of the night

Last edited by zilant : 11-14-2012 at 11:28 PM.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #38
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18
Surprisingly I've actually never heard anyone say that, I've thought about it myself though. You hear about people trying loads of the same model of guitar but you never hear anyone say "I had to try 10 EMG 85s before I found one I liked"

There are a lot of variables and it is hard to determine which ones are actually making a difference, I mean does persons fingerprint affects tone?

(finally someone who can think for themselves)

There are plenty of variables, but it's just impossible for the wood a magnet sits on to change the amount of different freq. it picks up. People just buy it because that's what guitar companies want you to think. Eventually I'll take the time and money to but the exact same guitar, but with different fingerboard woods, and switch out the pickup and do a blind switch test. I'll even switch out the pots, jack, etc.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #39
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilant
You sound like a 9-11 "truther".






Congrats. You win Laugh of the night


...that moment when you actually believe 9/11 was a government setup...
but really, it's like saying "Well, when I paint this oak board red and this pine board red, the oak just has a deeper red to it" (assuming it's the same can of opaque paints)
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #40
OliOsbourne
Registered User
 
OliOsbourne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: US
I'm sure that if you put a pickup in an acoustic and plugged it in, the wood would matter...
__________________

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.