Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #41
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd
 
MegadethFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
This is a post I read from another forum:

"An electric guitar is not a quiet acoustic guitar. An electric guitar works because a vibrating (ferrous metal) string causes a flux in the magnetic field of the pickup which is converted into a small electric current by the pickup coils. That current is then amplified and the sound transmitted via the amp loudspeaker.

A magnetic pick up does not and cannot amplify sounds generated by the wood of the guitar. When you play an electric guitar unamplified the vibrating strings (and to a much lesser extent the body of the guitar) causes air molecules to vibrate which carry the sound to your ear. A pick up does not do that. When you "hear" an amplified electric guitar you are actually hearing the amp loudspeaker."


I am not saying tonewood does or doesn't exist but I do think it is a very clever marketing ploy. The only way a company could know if a piece of wood sounded good was if they made it into a pre-guitar to see how it sounded and then made it into a final guitar based on how it sounded. What they probably do is pick the nice looking pieces of wood, judging a book by it's cover so to speak.

That and wood isn't very expensive I got a Grade AAA 1 piece Ash Blank for 50 ($75 ).

Last edited by MegadethFan18 : 11-14-2012 at 11:41 PM.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #42
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliOsbourne
I'm sure that if you put a pickup in an acoustic and plugged it in, the wood would matter...

If it was an actually magnet pickup and not a microphone pickup, the wood wouldn't make a difference.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #43
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18
This is a post I read from another forum:

"An electric guitar is not a quiet acoustic guitar. An electric guitar works because a vibrating (ferrous metal) string causes a flux in the magnetic field of the pickup which is converted into a small electric current by the pickup coils. That current is then amplified and the sound transmitted via the amp loudspeaker.

A magnetic pick up does not and cannot amplify sounds generated by the wood of the guitar. When you play an electric guitar unamplified the vibrating strings (and to a much lesser extent the body of the guitar) causes air molecules to vibrate which carry the sound to your ear. A pick up does not do that. When you "hear" an amplified electric guitar you are actually hearing the amp loudspeaker."


I am not saying tonewood does or doesn't exist but I do think it is a very clever marketing ploy. The only way a company could know if a piece of wood sounded good was if they made it into a pre-guitar to see how it sounded and then made it into a final guitar based on how it sounded. What they probably do is pick the nice looking pieces of wood, judging a book by it's cover so to speak. That and wood isn't very expensive I got a Grade AAA 1 piece Ash Blank for 50 ($75 ).


+1 (although I'm very convinced tonewood doesn't exist.) It's nice to know not everyone on UG is guitarded.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #44
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
IT DOES HAVE EVIDENCE, LOOK AT MY POST JUST ABOVE.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
(finally someone who can think for themselves)

There are plenty of variables, but it's just impossible for the wood a magnet sits on to change the amount of different freq. it picks up. People just buy it because that's what guitar companies want you to think. Eventually I'll take the time and money to but the exact same guitar, but with different fingerboard woods, and switch out the pickup and do a blind switch test. I'll even switch out the pots, jack, etc.


So your evidence is, " it's just impossible for the wood a magnet sits on to change the amount of different freq. it picks up." So you are saying that the magnet is the only thing that determines a guitar's tone? What about the strings and what they are made of, do you realize that strings are pressed against the fingerboard? Don't you think the type of wood the fingerboard is made of has an effect on the guitar's sound since the strings are constantly in contact with the fretboard when a note is fretted?

A guitar's sound is not defined as "the pickup." Other things factors are involved. That is an indisputable fact, and when you deny facts, it makes you look stupid.

This is simple.

(Guess I'm going to have to try to ask that pickup question another time XD)
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #45
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
(finally someone who can think for themselves)

get over yourself. I told you why your arguments don't hold water. I'm not regurgitating anything anyone else has said either.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #46
mrsixstrings12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Megadethfan actually made a valid point, but if the wood has no effect, what has stopped companies from not making a mold and pouring some sort of plastic into it and selling it for the same price? Build costs would plummet due to only having to pour some stuff into a mold and wire it up. no sawing, sanding, etc etc
__________________
Guitar Rig:
Custom Guitar (w/ Wizard Neck and SD Invader/Jazz Pups)
Schecter C-1 FR
Mesa Mark V

Bass Rig:
Schecter Raiden 5-String
Yorkville Bassmaster
mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #47
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
So your evidence is, " it's just impossible for the wood a magnet sits on to change the amount of different freq. it picks up." So you are saying that the magnet is the only thing that determines a guitar's tone? What about the strings and what they are made of, do you realize that strings are pressed against the fingerboard? Don't you think the type of wood the fingerboard is made of has an effect on the guitar's sound since the strings are constantly in contact with the fretboard when a note is fretted?

A guitar's sound is not defined as "the pickup." Other things factors are involved. That is an indisputable fact, and when you deny facts, it makes you look stupid.

This is simple.

(Guess I'm going to have to try to ask that pickup question another time XD)


You obviously don't get how an electric guitar works; the pickup (which is a magnet) is the only thing that goes to the amp. It picks up the string's vibration, thus recreating the note via amp. Sure it's fretted, but the wood is really affecting the sustain (and other things like that) not the tone (which is just the shape of the wave a note makes) These "facts" are/were created by the guitar companies to make money; you're stupid for actually falling for it.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #48
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsixstrings12
Megadethfan actually made a valid point, but if the wood has no effect, what has stopped companies from not making a mold and pouring some sort of plastic into it and selling it for the same price? Build costs would plummet due to only having to pour some stuff into a mold and wire it up. no sawing, sanding, etc etc


Well, because no one would fall for tonal plastic. Tonewood works with acoustics, so the average person would believe the same thing would go for electrics. They have these "tonal woods" for electrics so people will buy more guitars. It's cheaper to replace the pickups and pots in a $100 guitar then to buy a $1000 guitar (but there's build quality, too)... And if you're an avid guitar collector, you're going to buy the rosewood and maple fingerboard versions, since you want "tonal variety".
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #49
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
get over yourself. I told you why your arguments don't hold water. I'm not regurgitating anything anyone else has said either.


I already proved you wrong; you just didn't get it.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #50
T00DEEPBLUE
Sharpedophile
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Well, because no one would fall for tonal plastic.

According to your own theory, you would.
__________________
Gibson, Peavey, Washburn, Ibanez and Comic Saaaans

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 11-15-2012 at 12:31 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #51
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
According to your theory, you would.


...no? My theory is that: the material the neck, body, and fingerboard are made of make no difference in a guitar's tone when it's plugged in. People would probably fall for tonal plastic, but it's easier to just follow the same traditional route with wood, something people have been falling for for about a century.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #52
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
You obviously don't get how an electric guitar works; the pickup (which is a magnet) is the only thing that goes to the amp. It picks up the string's vibration, thus recreating the note via amp. Sure it's fretted, but the wood is really affecting the sustain (and other things like that) not the tone (which is just the shape of the wave a note makes) These "facts" are/were created by the guitar companies to make money; you're stupid for actually falling for it.


And you say we sound like the people preaching 9/11 conspiracy theories when you're the one talking about the guitar company marketing conspiracy.

If the guitar companies were trying to make money they would say money by making guitar's out of plastic, as Mrsixstring12 pointed out, they would just poor w/e into a mold. These facts of mine weren't created by guitar companies. You say that we can't think for ourselves, well you can't hear for yourself, because different woods have affects on tone however subtle. You said "the pickup (which is a magnet) is the only thing that goes to the amp." Yea, with the exception that the the pickup is connected to a freaking guitar, its not just pickup ---> amp.

Here is the bottom line, the pickup picks up the string's vibration like you said, but not all guitars sound the same unplugged. Sometimes the strings have more of a high-end twang, or they sound a bit darker, some guitars are a bit more midrangey when they are unplugged. This proves that the pickup is not the absolute only thing that affects the sound of a guitar.

Case closed. Now stop acting so silly XD

Last edited by KSEjunkie2468 : 11-15-2012 at 12:34 AM.
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #53
mrsixstrings12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
According to your own theory, you would.


+1 if it makes ZERO difference on tone and the company proved it, people would be all over them
__________________
Guitar Rig:
Custom Guitar (w/ Wizard Neck and SD Invader/Jazz Pups)
Schecter C-1 FR
Mesa Mark V

Bass Rig:
Schecter Raiden 5-String
Yorkville Bassmaster
mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #54
T00DEEPBLUE
Sharpedophile
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
...no? My theory is that: the material the neck, body, and fingerboard are made of make no difference in a guitar's tone when it's plugged in. People would probably fall for tonal plastic, but it's easier to just follow the same traditional route with wood, something people have been falling for for about a century.

So i suppose an electric-acoustic guitar can be made of plastic too?
__________________
Gibson, Peavey, Washburn, Ibanez and Comic Saaaans

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #55
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
And you say we sound like the people preaching 9/11 conspiracy theories when you're the one talking about the guitar company marketing conspiracy.

If the guitar companies were trying to make money they would say money by making guitar's out of plastic, as Mrsixstring12 pointed out, they would just poor w/e into a mold. These facts of mine weren't created by guitar companies. You say that we can't think for ourselves, well you can't hear for yourself, because different woods have affects on tone however subtle. You said "the pickup (which is a magnet) is the only thing that goes to the amp." Yea, with the exception that the the pickup is connected to a freaking guitar, its not just pickup ---> amp.

Here is the bottom line, the pickup picks up the string's vibration like you said, but not all guitars sound the same unplugged. Sometimes the strings have more of a high-end twang, or they sound a bit darker, some guitars are a bit more midrangey when they are unplugged. This proves that the pickup is not the absolute only thing that affects the sound of a guitar.

Case closed. Now stop acting so silly XD


Well, I should refuse to argue with someone who doesn't know the difference between "poor" and "pour", but I will anyways.
Acoustically, wood makes a difference. Strings will always make a difference. But it's just logic. Since you really know what your talking about, tell me how body wood and fingerboard wood changes the tone.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #56
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
So i suppose an electric-acoustic guitar can be made of plastic too?


It could be made of plastic. But, acoustically, material makes a difference. When you're using a magnetic pickup, it doesn't matter.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #57
mrsixstrings12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
...no? My theory is that: the material the neck, body, and fingerboard are made of make no difference in a guitar's tone when it's plugged in. People would probably fall for tonal plastic, but it's easier to just follow the same traditional route with wood, something people have been falling for for about a century.


So youre saying this art project of mine sounds the same as my epiphone les paul? I used the stock bridge pickup from my les paul to make it
__________________
Guitar Rig:
Custom Guitar (w/ Wizard Neck and SD Invader/Jazz Pups)
Schecter C-1 FR
Mesa Mark V

Bass Rig:
Schecter Raiden 5-String
Yorkville Bassmaster
mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #58
lemurflames
Resu Deretsiger
 
lemurflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oklahoma
He went from claiming it as fact to calling it his own theory. This thread must be saved.

__________________
Gear:

ESP LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
ProTone DeadHorse OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a cruel man.

lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #59
OliOsbourne
Registered User
 
OliOsbourne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: US

This obviously has the same tone as a strat with the same pickups, electronics, etc...
__________________

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #60
adamgur96
Not caring no more
 
adamgur96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
This thread.....
__________________
I put my sig in a spoiler because i view UG sigless anyway.
adamgur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.