Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
KailM

Are there any other pedals like the Boss Hm-2?

I only ask because I'm really into the sound I'm getting out of my Hm-2 -- just pure, raw carnage when used as a boost. I didn't think one guitar + 1 amp could sound so thick and brutal. My go-to death metal tone.

Anyway, I got to thinking -- are there other pedals that might work in a similar fashion, but have a slightly different voicing, perhaps? I've got two great tones going already; my 6505+ with a TS-9 and EQ pedal engaged for most of my stuff, then the HM-2 w/ EQ engaged for a strictly death metal tone. But more variety is always nice.

So, to make a long story short, are there any other "death metal" pedals I could look at or do I already have the best of the best? Please discuss.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

you shoun't need it with a 6505. they have a ton of gain. IMO a tubescreamer in front is a must, but HM-2's are shit and wont help get any other tone.

if you must have a metal pedal, look into a wampler triple wreck.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
you shoun't need it with a 6505. they have a ton of gain. IMO a tubescreamer in front is a must, but HM-2's are shit and wont help get any other tone.

if you must have a metal pedal, look into a wampler triple wreck.

With all due respect, you are mistaken goodsir. You might be thinking of the MT-2, which is indeed little better than a pile of spooge.

The HM-2, on the other hand, is good for getting the EXACT tone of At the Gates, Bloodbath, Entombed, and countless other Swedish death metal bands. It's not for getting more gain -- it's to get a different tone. It can do kind of a fuzzy, chainsaw/grinder tone that's as thick as molasses in January.

I'm just wondering if there are any others that produce a similar (but different in a good way) effect.
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 11-14-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
With all due respect, you are mistaken goodsir. You might be thinking of the MT-2, which is indeed little better than a pile of spooge.

The HM-2, on the other hand, is good for getting the EXACT tone of At the Gates, Bloodbath, Entombed, and countless other Swedish death metal bands. It's not for getting more gain -- it's to get a different tone. It can do kind of a fuzzy, chainsaw/grinder tone that's as thick as molasses in January.

I'm just wondering if there are any others that produce a similar (but different in a good way) effect.

i typod. i have a HM2. i got it in an amp trade with Dallas from Maylene and the sons of disaster. he used it on the amp (speed twin) that was used on one a song or two of one of their albums. i live an hour from him and at some point he was going to the university that i got my BA in Econ and MBA.

they sound like shit. maylene's tone isn't anything is amazing. they aren't my favorite band either.

maybe i don't play at the gates or entombed but it doesn't sound good. however maybe i didn't give it enough of a shot, because it sounded like shit so i packed it in my closet.. at least its worth a few bucks. its MIJ.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
Kikuta
Grim and Frostbitten

Quote:
i typod. i have a HM2. i got it in an amp trade with Dallas from Maylene and the sons of disaster. he used it on the amp (speed twin) that was used on one a song or two of one of their albums. i live an hour from him and at some point he was going to the university that i got my BA in Econ and MBA.

they sound like shit. maylene's tone isn't anything is amazing. they aren't my favorite band either.

maybe i don't play at the gates or entombed but it doesn't sound good. however maybe i didn't give it enough of a shot, because it sounded like shit so i packed it in my closet.. at least its worth a few bucks. its MIJ.

You are entirely missing the point of the HM2.

Kikuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
godgrinder

Quote:

This is what you need to do:
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

hm-2 is pretty much the only decent cheap high-gain pedal. that and the hm-3. the rest sound like the typical wasps-in-can.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
NeverShade

Not really the same but rats and shredmasters get some great tones, the only three distortions I use
NeverShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
ragingkitty
meow?

Not sure if this is anything close, but have you heard of the Gizmo Audio Sawmill?

http://www.gizmoaudio.com/products-page/

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hm-2 is pretty much the only decent cheap high-gain pedal. that and the hm-3. the rest sound like the typical wasps-in-can.

lolwut

The TL-2 and Metal Muff are two that come to mind. I have the TL-2, and it sounds fantastic. In fact, it's the only reason I didn't quit guitar, back when my only amp was an MG30. Since then, I've used it with a Fender HRD (not the best pairing), a Fender Blues Junior (actually, sounds great...this is my backup rig for gigs ), my Egnater Vengeance (It sounds teriible through the front...these two don't really like each other. Going in through the back ( ) sounds much better, although it bypasses the Preamp of the Vengeance) and it's currently my "Silent Rig" by running it into a PA head that has the MV on 0, is run into my headphones (through a record outon the front), and has my computer run into it as well (for playing along to GP6 and songs in iTunes).

Unless we are talking about some different form of High-Gain, but I generally don't run the gain past 1:00 and it's enough for the stuff I play (Modern Thrash, Progressive, Groove, Metalcore, Melodic Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal, and a few others)

The Metal Muff was the other pedal I was considering when I bought this.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

yeah i've tried both the tl-2 and metal muff. was not impressed with either of them. not at all.

hm-2 i owned for a while. and from what i've heard, hm-3 is similar.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I like the Tl-2. The only thing I'm not a fan of is that it has an utter lack of lower-mids. In fact, I think that the mid frequency control and the tight/loose switch are both useless. The mid frequency just makes the mid knob confusing as all hell, and the Tight/Loose feature would be much better suited as a feature on girlfriends, but even then, it would probably have the same problem, where you always have it set to tight For me, I always have the mid frequency set all the way to the left, and the mids turned up in order to get the best tone out of it.

I liked the Metal Muff, but IIRC it was darker than what I wanted. That could be way off, though, because there were two other pedals that were in the final four I was looking at, but I can't remember the names, and it's been about 5 or so years since I was trying them. Since then, though, I've changed taste in Metal tone and prefer a somewhat darker tone.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
KailM

This is how to use an HM-2 (as a boost through an already overdriven amp):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9q-sUP5Es

Now, are there any other pedals that approach this kind of tone? Metal Muff?
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 11-15-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
This is how to use an HM-2 (as a boost through an already overdriven amp):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9q-sUP5Es

Now, are there any other pedals that approach this kind of tone? Metal Muff?

To my knowledge, no. HM2 seems to be quite unique, I dont know if any other pedal (other than clones or FX boards with that pedal built in of course) produce similar effect when you max it out. I dont know what the hell that thing is overloading when you max out mid and low EQ knobs (level and dist are optional if you want Boost and SS distortion or not), but it happens quite suddenly and result is fricking intense! Its definetly not just MOAR GAIN alone because it also works with rather low gain, actually its quite advisable to keep the gain relatively low on amp side...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 11-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
MaaZeus

Quote:

If you have no use for it I could take that away from your hands for few bucks + shipping. The Behringer made clone I use is so damn ugly anyway.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
lolwut

The TL-2 and Metal Muff are two that come to mind. I have the TL-2, and it sounds fantastic. In fact, it's the only reason I didn't quit guitar, back when my only amp was an MG30. Since then, I've used it with a Fender HRD (not the best pairing), a Fender Blues Junior (actually, sounds great...this is my backup rig for gigs ), my Egnater Vengeance (It sounds teriible through the front...these two don't really like each other. Going in through the back ( ) sounds much better, although it bypasses the Preamp of the Vengeance) and it's currently my "Silent Rig" by running it into a PA head that has the MV on 0, is run into my headphones (through a record outon the front), and has my computer run into it as well (for playing along to GP6 and songs in iTunes).

Unless we are talking about some different form of High-Gain, but I generally don't run the gain past 1:00 and it's enough for the stuff I play (Modern Thrash, Progressive, Groove, Metalcore, Melodic Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal, and a few others)

The Metal Muff was the other pedal I was considering when I bought this.

Don't forget the Rat.

Rat boosting a JCM = instant KEA or RTL Tallica

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic

Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.

GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
C0FF1NF33D3R
Banned

The Metal Muff is different kind of monster. It's one of those pedals you either love or hate. I was using one for years til I got a MT-2. The MM sounds either like a muddy mess or ear piercing with no middle ground, IMO. The Hardwire TL-2 is a pretty decent pedal too.
C0FF1NF33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
Don't forget the Rat.

Rat boosting a JCM = instant KEA or RTL Tallica

Rats are the only 'high gain distortion pedal' I've ever tried that didn't sound like ass. That said I haven't tried the HM-2 or some of the more rare ones.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

You know, I've tried using my TL-2 as a boost Tubescreamer-style, but I've never maxed out the EQ and use it as a boost. I could possibly try it later to see how it sounds. How do you set the Treble? Just to taste?

Admittedly, I've never had it work well as a boost through my Vengeance, so just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else. Then again, I'm thinking it was due to uncontrolable feedback, probably caused by having the volume dimed. I'll have to try it later.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

HM2s sound horrible, then again, all death metal is just a wall of indistinguishable fuzz, so it works. Don't know of any other pedals that sound like that one though.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: