Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
LeeAlacoque

Amp sim isn't doing anything to clean guitar sound

I got Cantabile Lite with the Nick Crow 8505 Lead plugin. My guitar is plugged into the audio input jack with an auxiliary cord. There's a clean, unaffected guitar sound coming from my speakers. The amp sim is doing nothing to change it. I tried Guitar Rig too but it's the same problem.

What do I do?
LeeAlacoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

What DAW are you using? It sounds like you aren't monitoring the sound post-fader. A quick google search on how do that in your DAW will solve it.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAlacoque
I got Cantabile Lite with the Nick Crow 8505 Lead plugin. My guitar is plugged into the audio input jack with an auxiliary cord. There's a clean, unaffected guitar sound coming from my speakers. The amp sim is doing nothing to change it. I tried Guitar Rig too but it's the same problem.

What do I do?

Whelp

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
LeeAlacoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Whelp

Is that why? Does it absolutely have to be a special guitar interface?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
LeeAlacoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
What DAW are you using? It sounds like you aren't monitoring the sound post-fader. A quick google search on how do that in your DAW will solve it.

I have no idea what DAW is or anything else in that post... Quick explanation please? Google didn't help
Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
FenderStrat21
UG's smartest dumb person

Digital Audio Workstation.....(What program are you using?)
FenderStrat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
ToXyN
I am mine

your just not set up right. You don't need a DaW with guitar rig anyway.

You need to go into your computers sound settings. If your using Line in make sure the "playback" Line in is muted. (it's not, if your hearing your clean guitar..)

Next, make sure your setup in your software, Line in as input, output as soundcard or whatever you have listed.

Ah.. i should state that in your sound settings, you may have a "record" section, you may have to select line in there also. (you can hear your guitar, so it should already be set)

Last edited by ToXyN : 11-20-2012 at 01:05 PM.
ToXyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Is that why? Does it absolutely have to be a special guitar interface?

Nope, but normally it sounds better, works better, less likely to break something and in general is just better and easier. Even with cheapo interfaces.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
LeeAlacoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXyN
your just not set up right. You don't need a DaW with guitar rig anyway.

You need to go into your computers sound settings. If your using Line in make sure the "playback" Line in is muted. (it's not, if your hearing your clean guitar..)

Next, make sure your setup in your software, Line in as input, output as soundcard or whatever you have listed.

Ah.. i should state that in your sound settings, you may have a "record" section, you may have to select line in there also. (you can hear your guitar, so it should already be set)

This got it working! But it sounds pretty bad with lots of fizzy static in the background. The distorted sound is also delayed by about half a second. Is this more computer issues or is it from using the aux cord?

Last edited by LeeAlacoque : 11-22-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
BloodReverence

Definitely an Aux chord problem. Get yourself an interface man, it's the only way to avoid blasphemous amounts of latency.
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
LeeAlacoque

What's a good interface?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
NothingRocks
:^)

I really don't recommend using a stock port on your computer to record guitar input. You could easily damage your soundcard and it will also sound like poop. A "good" interface is the Saffire 6 which is about 200USD. You could always get a Behringer Guitar Link for about 30USD, but it won't sound as nice. It's still better than going directly into a soundcard that isn't made for "real" recording.

My Livestream

Awakia Facebook Page

Anime List
Music
Youtube
NothingRocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
ToXyN
I am mine

Quote:
This got it working! But it sounds pretty bad with lots of fizzy static in the background. The distorted sound is also delayed by about half a second. Is this more computer issues or is it from using the aux cord?

This is due to the Buffer size in the sound options, probably within the software itself. Lowering will cause the delay to go away But, it can cause problems (drop out, fizzy/distorted sound) if your soundcard can't handle it. Sounds like your buffer is to low, which raising it should fix the sound issue, but introduce more Delay.

Try Asio4all driver, usually with asio you can set the buffer much lower and eliminate the delay while still having good sound quality.

Basically, it's due to your soundcard and drivers not being very good. An interface would obviously remedy this. Or try the Asio4all driver with your current sound device (which is free.. so just try this first).

Last edited by ToXyN : 11-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
What's a good interface?

We have a sticky for that.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
LeeAlacoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXyN
This is due to the Buffer size in the sound options, probably within the software itself. Lowering will cause the delay to go away But, it can cause problems (drop out, fizzy/distorted sound) if your soundcard can't handle it. Sounds like your buffer is to low, which raising it should fix the sound issue, but introduce more Delay.

Try Asio4all driver, usually with asio you can set the buffer much lower and eliminate the delay while still having good sound quality.

Basically, it's due to your soundcard and drivers not being very good. An interface would obviously remedy this. Or try the Asio4all driver with your current sound device (which is free.. so just try this first).

The Asio4all fixed the delay. There's still some fuzziness so I'm going to try some different amp sims
Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #16
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Will people please SHUT UP about how 'awful' using the Line In jack is?

Not everyone has $200 to drop on an interface when they just want to have a mess about with the software or record a few tunes.

I've gotten very decent results using a 1/4" > 2.5mm adapter plugged straight into the PC, it works great for jamming and cutting rough demos.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
Will people please SHUT UP about how 'awful' using the Line In jack is?

Not everyone has $200 to drop on an interface when they just want to have a mess about with the software or record a few tunes.

I've gotten very decent results using a 1/4" > 2.5mm adapter plugged straight into the PC, it works great for jamming and cutting rough demos.

I'll shut up about it when threads like this one stop showing up. Just because you got it to work with decent results doesn't mean everyone will and from pretty much every post I've seen on it, it creates more problems than it solves.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
I'll shut up about it when threads like this one stop showing up. Just because you got it to work with decent results doesn't mean everyone will and from pretty much every post I've seen on it, it creates more problems than it solves.

This. My main reason for not promoting it is that half the time it doesn't work, when it does it often lags and it's really just impossible to standardise it. We can't tell people who to work the crap when it basically doesn't work the same every time.

Also you don't NEED to have a $200 interface... cheaper ones exist.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
ToXyN
I am mine

Woah woah here.. slow down guys.

I've been doing this an awfully long time. I'm 35, an electrical tech, musician and a DJ.
There seems to be confusion with this adapter so maybe i can help straighten out preconceptions a bit.

The adapter does nothing more then take a TRS 1/4" (Tip, Ring, Sleeve). And Directly connects each TRS to the same TRS area of an 1/8". It is a direct connection, (Tip to Tip, ring to ring, sleeve to sleeve)

There is Zero, i repeat Zero sound difference. The problem you guys have had is NOT from the adapter.

There are 2 different adapters that we would use. One has one black ring near the tip, This is a MONO plug, which Guitars use. The other has 2 black rings near the tip, This is a STEREO plug. Match the adapter to the cord your using.

All the issues you guys are having is with software or computer hardware. Never use your guitar for the mic in. Use Line In, it's what it's made for. Having delay or distortion is usually due to bad audio drivers, usually on-board or cheap soundcards just aren't very good, and there drivers are even worse. Using Asio drivers, Like Asio4all can remedy this.

Before there were ever USB interfaces this is what we HAD to do. you can send any line level signal into your line in (hence the name.. "Line in") So you can mic up anything you want as long as your mixer can send a "Line Level" out. DO NOT SEND ANYTHING AMPLIFIED.

Hope it helps.

Also should note, A lot of 5.1 sound or things like that can use your Line in jack as a speaker output jack. Ensure that you change your surround sound to stereo, 2 speakers so that the soundcard switches the Line in back to an input.

Last edited by ToXyN : 11-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Outside Octaves
Thinking about the octave

ToXny is correct on this people. The adapter is not the problem here, nor are the sound cards/chips... well chips can be, but most have cards these days because of gaming n movies n such.

Anyways, It used to be LINE IN was the only way to get it into the PC really (if you're doing it right), for years.

Now that we have USB and USB 2.0 interfaces with preamps and such you people have been spoiled... er we all have been spoiled. But I'm thankful for these things.

The OP just needs some good advice.

the low down here?

You can use your sound card, but PLEASE, PLEASE be gentle with it! Best bet would be to hook a length of 1/8" extension cable (one end male, the other female) to you sound card's LINE IN input, and rest the other end with the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on it on your desk or whatever. Then use that to plug and unplug your guitar's jack from the PC. This will help keep you from damaging your sound card. They don't use the best inputs.

Make sure you are not going direct from the guitar into this extension. Make sure you have a DI box (Direct Input) first to bring it to Microphone levels... otherwise bad crap can happen. The LINE IN expects a Line Level signal, not raw instrument output.

You also need to make sure your settings are right. I'm ok with this stuff, but others can help you out more.

If you don't have a sound card, and just have what came with an off the shelf pc... DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE THIS METHOD MENTIONED ABOVE! It just doesn't work, unless you have one hell of a power gaming pc...
In this case it would be best to purchase a guitar to pc interface and a set of studio monitors.
You don't have go supper expensive here. Behringer makes a cheap interface called the Guitar Link, it's like 30 bucks... but with interfaces you pay for what you get generally. 30 bucks for an interface isn't going to give you the best sounding results. This is why they recommend the Saffire 6 for around 200 bux USD. (and now the replacement for that, the Scarlett 2i4 which I just purchased and am currently (as of the writing of this post) waiting for)

All in all, it depends on you, what your end result wants are, and your budget.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Outside Octaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: