Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #21
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
So, why DO people believe wood makes a tonal difference?

As I told you before, I could hear a difference when I swapped pickups between different guitars. It's not in my head either since I thought I would never hear a difference as I was doing it.

Also... My anecdotal evidence > Your anecdotal evidence. It's a fact.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #22
Sullinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
You might want to check that link or find another source. It's not loading- the guitarsquid may be guitarcalimari...

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/musi...od-myth-busted/
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #23
OliOsbourne

Would you also say that guitar picks make no difference either?

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #24
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

Quote:
Understand this: I'm not saying wood doesn't change tone; it just doesn't matter when you're plugged in. The tone you hear from your amp is just pickups and pots. No two pickups are the same and the distance the pickup is from the strings makes a difference too.

Well, I really gotta do my homework. I'll be back for all of this tomorrow!

Amp, pickups, pots, all have effects. Distance from pickup probably does, but is most noticeable with clarity vs gain. The effect of wood on tone is not diminished at all just because the signal is going through the pickup- they still affect how the soundwaves vibrate and ring out once the strings are plucked, and thus which hit the pickup and how strong they are when they do.

Can you concede that wood type has a very pronounced effect on acoustic guitar tone?

If you can't you have no reason arguing this at all, and just need to learn more about guitars.

If you can, realize that what you're saying is an acoustic guitar with a pickup in the soundhole will suddenly discount the wood types. Electric guitars work on similar principles, though not as extreme, but wood type still has a very quantifiable effect on the overall tone of the guitar, even when plugged in and going through the pickups, the effects, the amp, and the speakers (cab wood and construction also has an effect, in case you want to try and discount that, too).

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #25
Sullinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
As I told you before, I could hear a difference when I swapped pickups between different guitars. It's not in my head either since I thought I would never hear a difference as I was doing it.

Also... My anecdotal evidence > Your anecdotal evidence. It's a fact.

Yes, but distance and jacks make a difference (and pots; but you said they were the same previously)
And it's not a fact. Give me a link to a legitament source that proves material makes a tonal difference in an electric guitar.

And you always complain about how I ignore you. Please explain my inlay evidence.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #26
Sullinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Muse
Amp, pickups, pots, all have effects. Distance from pickup probably does, but is most noticeable with clarity vs gain. The effect of wood on tone is not diminished at all just because the signal is going through the pickup- they still affect how the soundwaves vibrate and ring out once the strings are plucked, and thus which hit the pickup and how strong they are when they do.

Can you concede that wood type has a very pronounced effect on acoustic guitar tone?

If you can't you have no reason arguing this at all, and just need to learn more about guitars.

If you can, realize that what you're saying is an acoustic guitar with a pickup in the soundhole will suddenly discount the wood types. Electric guitars work on similar principles, though not as extreme, but wood type still has a very quantifiable effect on the overall tone of the guitar, even when plugged in and going through the pickups, the effects, the amp, and the speakers (cab wood and construction also has an effect, in case you want to try and discount that, too).

When you hear a guitar played acoustically, you're actually hearing the guitar. Through an amp, you don't. And even if it did make a tonal difference, why do people use there band eq? That kinda defeats the purpose of different tonal wood, huh?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #27
OliOsbourne

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #28
Sullinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliOsbourne
Would you also say that guitar picks make no difference either?

Why would they?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #29
KSEjunkie2468

Quote:
And if certain frequencies vibrate better than others, they'll carry through. Thus affecting tone. Density and mass affect sustain, wood hardness affects absorption of soundwaves.

Quote:
Understand this: I'm not saying wood doesn't change tone; it just doesn't matter when you're plugged in. The tone you hear from your amp is just pickups and pots. No two pickups are the same and the distance the pickup is from the strings makes a difference too.

Well, I really gotta do my homework. I'll be back for all of this tomorrow!

That makes no sense, the sound the string makes, the tone of the strings is amplified by the pickups. The tone of the strings is not ignored by the pickups, the pickups do not ONLY detect that the string is vibrating, there are different frequencies involved.

Take for example, two unplugged guitars, one mahogany and one maple, the mahogany guitar is going to sound darker when it is unplugged (this will happen for most guitars when comparing mahogany to maple.

Take your guitar, strum all six (or seven w/e) strings open, and lightly touch your finger against the back of your fretboard. You are going to feel your fret-board resonating with little vibrations. Wood is used because WOOD RESONATES. That's why a flute made out of wood sounds different than a plastic flute. The body of the guitar resonates a lower frequency. Its why they're called woodwind instruments not dogshitwind or plasticwind. This resonating of the wood changes the tone of the guitar as when the string begins to vibrate the wood resonates affecting how the strings sound when strumming, the when the strings are vibrating, the pickup, picks up the vibration of the string, and amplifies it (like you said).

Pink Muse has it right, the hardest of wood vs. Mahogany affects sound-waves (TONE). You have no argument Sullinger all you do is continuously ignore everything we say that goes against your ignorant opinion. Its really just silly XD
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #30
Sullinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliOsbourne

hahaha, no, but I saw that in my tonal wood research. He makes plenty of legitament points and we have same basic arguments.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #31
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

Quote:
When you hear a guitar played acoustically, you're actually hearing the guitar. Through an amp, you don't. And even if it did make a tonal difference, why do people use there band eq? That kinda defeats the purpose of different tonal wood, huh?

Not really. It's all part of an equation that we can throw into crude percentages, but can never really pinpoint. Play a fat Strat and a Les Paul with the same bridge pickup through the same setup, and tell me they even sound similar; you can't even tweak the tone knobs to make them sound that alike.

It's like saying a Ferrari and a go cart are basically the same thing when the engine is on because, hey, they've both got a frame and four wheels. Kinda defeats the purpose of different engines, huh?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #32
bobthebum16
UG Freak

The type of wood changes the type of vibration in the string that the pickup picks up. That's what makes it so neat.
bobthebum16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #33
Sullinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
That makes no sense, the sound the string makes, the tone of the strings is amplified by the pickups. The tone of the strings is not ignored by the pickups, the pickups do not ONLY detect that the string is vibrating, there are different frequencies involved.

Take for example, two unplugged guitars, one mahogany and one maple, the mahogany guitar is going to sound darker when it is unplugged (this will happen for most guitars when comparing mahogany to maple.

Take your guitar, strum all six (or seven w/e) strings open, and lightly touch your finger against the back of your fretboard. You are going to feel your fret-board resonating with little vibrations. Wood is used because WOOD RESONATES. That's why a flute made out of wood sounds different than a plastic flute. The body of the guitar resonates a lower frequency. Its why they're called woodwind instruments not dogshitwind or plasticwind. This resonating of the wood changes the tone of the guitar as when the string begins to vibrate the wood resonates affecting how the strings sound when strumming, the when the strings are vibrating, the pickup, picks up the vibration of the string, and amplifies it (like you said).

Pink Muse has it right, the hardest of wood vs. Mahogany affects sound-waves (TONE). You have no argument Sullinger all you do is continuously ignore everything we say that goes against your ignorant opinion. Its really just silly XD

I really didn't want to go here: but you guys are some of the biggest idiots I've ever experienced. If I'm ignoring all of you guys, why hasn't anyone said anything about my inlay evidence?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #34
KSEjunkie2468

Quote:
Why would they?

Guitar picks absolutely make a tonal difference. A brass metal pick, striking metal, vs. a nylon pick strumming sounds different Ms. Keller.

Also, more expensive guitar cables don't just carry high frequencies that only dogs can hear, they carry frequencies that the 5$ piece of crap cable that comes with a starter amp simply cannot: FACT

I cannot believe invalid your arguments are, its astounding.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #35
thetimo

The strings are attached to the wood, so the wood affects their vibrations by absorbing some frequencies.
The wood makes strings vibrate differently, the pickups pick up their vibrations.
thetimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #36
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

Quote:
I really didn't want to go here: but you guys are some of the biggest idiots I've ever experienced. If I'm ignoring all of you guys, why hasn't anyone said anything about my inlay evidence?

A.) we conceded that neck wood is a much more subtle change in timbre than body; B.) if you're fretting far enough back to get on the inlay and no wood, it's improper technique, and you should worry about that before tone.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #37
danvwman

Wood acts like a parametric EQ, different density wood amplifies different frequincies thus tone.

And a chunk of basswood could be the same density as a chunk of mahogany ect, depends on the tree.

Different wood will vibrate different in high volume situations also.

But really everything about a guitar effects its sound/tone

Higher mass bridges sound fuller,stronger. So why wouldn't wood do the same??? Dumbass
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #38
samuraigoomba

Hmmm, an incomplete study and no link to the abstract or peer-reviewed journal that looked at their findings. A suspicious man might suggest their methodology was flawed and/or biased and their results purely subjective. The guy doing the research isn't even a professor, just an honors student. Seriously? And the website calls him a "university researcher?" Matthew even states up front that he went into the research with the idea that tonewoods don't affect tone. So it's hardly unbiased research.

What a shock, the ratings and comments are disabled on the video, too! Again, exactly like how the creationists and 9/11 truthers do things. >_>

He may very well be correct, but the research needs to be done properly by experts qualified in fields related to tone, not some random guy with an express desire to prove his own preconceived notions.

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/articles/2012/article/does-$10,000-guitar-sound-better-than-$300

This seems to be the only study I can find that anyone has ever done on tonewoods, so there needs to be more work done in this field.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #39
Sullinger

Quote:
Not really. It's all part of an equation that we can throw into crude percentages, but can never really pinpoint. Play a fat Strat and a Les Paul with the same bridge pickup through the same setup, and tell me they even sound similar; you can't even tweak the tone knobs to make them sound that alike.

It's like saying a Ferrari and a go cart are basically the same thing when the engine is on because, hey, they've both got a frame and four wheels. Kinda defeats the purpose of different engines, huh?

THEY DON'T SOUND THE SAME BECAUSE OF ELECTRONIC DIFFERENCES, MOSTLY WITH THE PICKUPS. (My counter analogy) It's like taking the same opaque red paint and painting an oak board and a pine board and then saying "Well, the red is a lot warmer on the pine then the oak"
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #40
KSEjunkie2468

Quote:

How are we idiots, you're saying thinks that are factually incorrect and we are disagreeing. I and W4RP1G addressed your inlay argument in the previous post. The guitar fret is not made completely of the inlay material. The inlay is made in the fretboard's wood, with wood underneath it, this causes barely a change in tone, because the wood of the fret stays the same. We've already discussed this, but as i said, YOU IGNORED US, and THAT IS WHY YOU DON'T REMEMBER US SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT INLAY EVIDENCE,
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: