Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #41
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Stop trolling and do some reading.

In a nutshell, wood does make as large a difference. Different woods will have different frequency responses and resonate differently when say an E chord is played. The energy from the initial strike of the strings is transmitted to all parts of the guitar body, and the vibrations will have a whole mix of frequencies. Different tonewoods will cause certain frequencies to be combed out or peaks in certain frequencies... for example, alder will be brighter than something like mahogany because of increased treble and upper mid presence. Yes, the pickups do not "hear" the wood vibrations, but the wood the strings are attached to will affect the way the string-guitar system responds; there's energy transfer to the wood and the strings and vice versa and this causes the so-called 'tone' due to the wood. The wood basically damps certain frequencies which is reflected in the vibration of the string and this is the effect the pickup sees.

The inlays you talk about on the Gibson fretboards would make a difference, but it would not be noticeable in the grand scheme of things. They are only a thin slither sitting flush with the fretboard surface, and the fretboard is mostly rosewood. Therefore, the tonality of the mahogany/rosewood combination will dominate.

You can quite easily come up with a counter argument to yours BTW... why does the same pickup sound different in a different body? It can even be the same wood but a different shape and the strings will resonate differently.
baumaxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #42
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
Hmmm, an incomplete study and no link to the abstract or peer-reviewed journal that looked at their findings. A suspicious man might suggest their methodology was flawed and/or biased and their results purely subjective. The guy doing the research isn't even a professor, just an honors student. Seriously? And the website calls him a "university researcher?" Matthew even states up front that he went into the research with the idea that tonewoods don't affect tone. So it's hardly unbiased research.

What a shock, the ratings and comments are disabled on the video, too! Again, exactly like how the creationists and 9/11 truthers do things. >_>

He may very well be correct, but the research needs to be done properly by experts qualified in fields related to tone, not some random guy with an express desire to prove his own preconceived notions.

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/articles/2012/article/does-$10,000-guitar-sound-better-than-$300

This seems to be the only study I can find that anyone has ever done on tonewoods, so there needs to be more work done in this field.


I agree there has to be more professional research, but it's just... (for lack of a better term) idiotic to say wood makes a difference with tone (when it's plugged in)
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #43
OliOsbourne
Registered User
 
OliOsbourne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Why would they?

From my experience, different picks affect tone. My Planet Waves Chrome Dome, for example, sounds warmer than my ultex picks. The effect really isn't that apparent, but, for me, it's noticeable between disparate picks.
__________________

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #44
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V
 
Pink Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Don't close the coffin yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
THEY DON'T SOUND THE SAME BECAUSE OF ELECTRONIC DIFFERENCES, MOSTLY WITH THE PICKUPS. (My counter analogy) It's like taking the same opaque red paint and painting an oak board and a pine board and then saying "Well, the red is a lot warmer on the pine then the oak"

... Thus giving them the same pickups. Hell, make it same pickups, pots, caps, and wires. They will still sound different; it's a fact, you can't argue with a fact, and you can't be smarter than a fact, and you're not doing anything to refute that fact.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?


Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #45
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by baumaxx1
Stop trolling and do some reading.

In a nutshell, wood does make as large a difference. Different woods will have different frequency responses and resonate differently when say an E chord is played. The energy from the initial strike of the strings is transmitted to all parts of the guitar body, and the vibrations will have a whole mix of frequencies. Different tonewoods will cause certain frequencies to be combed out or peaks in certain frequencies... for example, alder will be brighter than something like mahogany because of increased treble and upper mid presence. Yes, the pickups do not "hear" the wood vibrations, but the wood the strings are attached to will affect the way the string-guitar system responds; there's energy transfer to the wood and the strings and vice versa and this causes the so-called 'tone' due to the wood. The wood basically damps certain frequencies which is reflected in the vibration of the string and this is the effect the pickup sees.

The inlays you talk about on the Gibson fretboards would make a difference, but it would not be noticeable in the grand scheme of things. They are only a thin slither sitting flush with the fretboard surface, and the fretboard is mostly rosewood. Therefore, the tonality of the mahogany/rosewood combination will dominate.

You can quite easily come up with a counter argument to yours BTW... why does the same pickup sound different in a different body? It can even be the same wood but a different shape and the strings will resonate differently.


I agree with you, and that makes sense. If the guitar is played acoustically. I don't know how to explain it, since all my previous attempts seemed to fail: it doesn't matter once it hits the pickup. If all this tonal wood hype was true, then why do we have 3 band eqs on our amps? Even if wood did make a difference plugged in, it wouldn't matter since the amp and effects you use would overshadow it.

Last edited by Sullinger : 11-15-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #46
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Muse
... Thus giving them the same pickups. Hell, make it same pickups, pots, caps, and wires. They will still sound different; it's a fact, you can't argue with a fact, and you can't be smarter than a fact, and you're not doing anything to refute that fact.


That's complete BS. Use the same everything, even pickup height. It'll sound the same. You can't say something is fact just because you say it is; you need at least some logic and reason.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #47
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
I really didn't want to go here: but you guys are some of the biggest idiots I've ever experienced. If I'm ignoring all of you guys, why hasn't anyone said anything about my inlay evidence?

I addressed your "evidence" before and told you why it didn't work. The full length of the string oscillates, not just at that one fret. In fact, all fretting does is shorten the length of the string. And I personally don't think the difference in fretboard materials makes a tonal difference, but your inlay argument makes no sense.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 11-15-2012 at 01:39 AM.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #48
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V
 
Pink Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Don't close the coffin yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
I agree with you, and that makes sense. If the guitar is played acoustically. I don't know how to explain it, sense all my previous attempts seemed to fail: it doesn't matter once it hits the pickup. If all this tonal wood hype was true, then why do we have 3 band eqs on our amps? Even if wood did make a difference plugged in, it wouldn't matter since the amp and effects you use would overshadow it.

You have an EQ because, believe it or not, not everyone has a custom amp made to their exact specifications for each guitar, and even though there hundreds, if not thousands, of amps to choose from, sometimes you need to tweak that base sound. Seriously, I don't know how you can make the connection from "wood doesn't affect tone" to "that's why we need EQ knobs!"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?


Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #49
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
That's complete BS. Use the same everything, even pickup height. It'll sound the same. You can't say something is fact just because you say it is; you need at least some logic and reason.

Dude, I've done that(as I've already stated). The difference can be heard, and it's as clear as day.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #50
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I addressed your "evidence" before and told you why it didn't work. The full length of the string oscillates, not at that one fret. In fact, all fretting does is shorten the length of the string. And I personally don't think the difference in fretboard materials makes a difference, but your inlay argument makes no sense.


It does when people say "Well, rosewood is brighter than maple" because 9 of your frets aren't even being played on the wood. So, I convinced you halfway. So, now, do your best to explain how the body wood would change the frequencies a string would create.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #51
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
I agree with you, and that makes sense. If the guitar is played acoustically. I don't know how to explain it, sense all my previous attempts seemed to fail: it doesn't matter once it hits the pickup. If all this tonal wood hype was true, then why do we have 3 band eqs on our amps? Even if wood did make a difference plugged in, it wouldn't matter since the amp and effects you use would overshadow it.


Did you really just say that? Man, you are being annahlated here on this forum, and you keep saying that it doesn't matter once it hits the pickup:

YES. IT. DOES. XD

This resonating of the wood changes the tone of the guitar as when the string begins to vibrate the wood resonates affecting how the strings sound when strumming, the when the strings are vibrating, the pickup, picks up the vibration of the string and the sound and tone it is making, and amplifies it.

Stop ignoring us please,
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #52
sacamano79
Fighter of the Nightman
 
sacamano79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: College Station, TX
Smelling Trololo
__________________
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
sacamano79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #53
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Dude, I've done that(as I've already stated). The difference can be heard, and it's as clear as day.


All the sudden you're using the same pickup height? And I'm not going to believe some butthurt guy on the internet, who, based on there username, evidently just follows the popular belief of the crowd.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #54
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
 
nickdohle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Why the hell are we doing this thread again?
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #55
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
It does when people say "Well, rosewood is brighter than maple" because 9 of your frets aren't even being played on the wood. So, I convinced you halfway. So, now, do your best to explain how the body wood would change the frequencies a string would create.

Ok, I'll explain it AGAIN. The vibrations from the strings transfer into the wood and then back into the strings. Difference woods vibrate differently.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #56
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
Did you really just say that? Man, you are being annahlated here on this forum, and you keep saying that it doesn't matter once it hits the pickup:

YES. IT. DOES. XD

This resonating of the wood changes the tone of the guitar as when the string begins to vibrate the wood resonates affecting how the strings sound when strumming, the when the strings are vibrating, the pickup, picks up the vibration of the string and the sound and tone it is making, and amplifies it.

Stop ignoring us please,


STOP IGNORING ME! Different tone is just different frequencies put out. Let's say wood does make a difference. It wouldn't matter because you're completely changing the frequencies with all the knobs on your amp and pedals.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #57
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V
 
Pink Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Don't close the coffin yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
It does when people say "Well, rosewood is brighter than maple" because 9 of your frets aren't even being played on the wood. So, I convinced you halfway. So, now, do your best to explain how the body wood would change the frequencies a string would create.

The ****? How are any of your frets not being played on the wood? Even if you have a scalloped fretboard, they're resonating through the neck.

Look man, if you want to just come clean and tell us you wanted a decent troll thread, then I'll applaud you now. But you've got no points that are sticking, ignore both anecdotal and scientific data while providing no support that sticks, and yet continue to claim we are wrong and ignoring your claims. If you were on our debate team, you would be kicked out for any combination of those, and yet we're still giving you a chance because we don't want you being unhappy with a guitar after thinking wood won't matter. If you're going to keep on this warpath and just pretend we're blubbering idiots who post gibberish for our own entertainment, though, then I'm out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?


Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #58
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
All the sudden you're using the same pickup height? And I'm not going to believe some butthurt guy on the internet, who, based on there username, evidently just follows the popular belief of the crowd.

What about my username?

Go ahead and dismiss my claims. But I told your dense, stupid ass in the other thread that I used the same pickup height.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #59
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Ok, I'll explain it AGAIN. The vibrations from the strings transfer into the wood and then back into the strings. Difference woods vibrate differently.


EXACTLY. So, how does the difference in woods vibrating change what frequencies a pickup picks up?
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #60
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
What about my username?

Go ahead and dismiss my claims. But I told your dense, stupid ass in the other forum that I used the same pickup height.


I'm assuming it's a Black Sabbath reference; Black Sabbath is completely overrated by everyone. Not saying they're bad, but people like you blindly like whatever everyone says is good.

But that's not my point.

And sorry if I didn't see one post you made, I'm arguing against the world here.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.