Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #61
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V
 
Pink Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Don't close the coffin yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
EXACTLY. So, how does the difference in woods vibrating change what frequencies a pickup picks up?

Because science happens whether you accept it or not?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?


Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #62
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Muse
Because science happens whether you accept it or not?


There wasn't any logic to that whatsoever.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #63
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
STOP IGNORING ME! Different tone is just different frequencies put out. Let's say wood does make a difference. It wouldn't matter because you're completely changing the frequencies with all the knobs on your amp and pedals.


In that case the EQ settings of a pickup wouldn't matter either because you could just "completely" change the frequencies with the knobs, according to you only the amp and pedal EQ controls the frequencies, and nothing else with a guitar has a set bass or treble output?

EQ only adds or reduces, it does not completely elliminate the tonal nature of your guitar unless you do some really extreme EQing, but my assertion stands under normal circumstances.
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #64
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
I'm assuming it's a Black Sabbath reference; Black Sabbath is completely overrated by everyone. Not saying they're bad, but people like you blindly like whatever everyone says is good

So because I listened to an overrated band, my opinion is invalid? Sounds like you're grasping at straws to me.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #65
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
In that case the EQ settings of a pickup wouldn't matter either because you could just "completely" change the frequencies with the knobs, according to you only the amp and pedal EQ controls the frequencies, and nothing else with a guitar has a set bass or treble output?

EQ only adds or reduces, it does not completely elliminate the tonal nature of your guitar unless you do some really extreme EQing, but my assertion stands under normal circumstances.


ehhh... you kinda got me. But pickups also have a hot/cold element to them.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #66
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
So because I listened to an overrated band, my opinion is invalid? Sounds like you're grasping at straws to me.


Well, this isn't an "opinion" topic.
But to your opinions, you're likely to not have an opinion, you just carry everyone else's opinion.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #67
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
EXACTLY. So, how does the difference in woods vibrating change what frequencies a pickup picks up?


Different woods resonate different frequencies back to the strings changing the string's tone, and the pickup picks up those frequencies. The pickup does not just detect vibration only stupid.

And you're such a troll about W4RP1G's musical tastes, we're not even talking about that you just thought you would insult rather than answer to W4RP1G's which completely rebutted yours and proved you wrong.

Last edited by KSEjunkie2468 : 11-15-2012 at 02:45 AM.
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #68
danvwman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
At this point we all assume you are TONE deaf and not very smart or just good at being a troll
__________________
What the hell!!!
danvwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #69
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Well, this isn't an "opinion" topic.
But to your opinions, you're likely to not have an opinion, you just carry everyone else's opinion.


If it isn't an opinion topic then why did you bring up musical tastes and state your opinion about Black Sabbath? So incompetent.
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #70
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V
 
Pink Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Don't close the coffin yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Well, this isn't an "opinion" topic.
But to your opinions, you're likely to not have an opinion, you just carry everyone else's opinion.

If he carried everyone else's opinion, why is he arguing against yours?

Look at it from our perspective. You made a pretty bold claim, we pointed out its flaws, you brought no solid claims, we did, you then turned to ad hominem arguments, and still had the audacity to get upset with us.
Everything you've brought up has been countered, and you haven't managed to refute anything of ours.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?


Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #71
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468

And you're such a troll bitch about W4RP1G's musical tastes, we're not even talking about that you just thought you would insult rather than answer to W4RP1G's which completely rebutted yours and proved you wrong.


Mega-butthurt fag detected. Well, the musical tastes thing was kinda off topic, but that kind of thing just bugs me "Ohhh, M3tallica420 would be such a cool name"... but it looks like you're starting to lose since you have to refer to my invalid argument to continue yours.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #72
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Well, this isn't an "opinion" topic.
But to your opinions, you're likely to not have an opinion, you just carry everyone else's opinion.

This is definitely an opinion topic, since there is no concrete evidence on the matter.

And you're still grasping at straws. You've made no sound arguments against anything I've said, so you are going to just ignore me? That's pathetic.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #73
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Muse
If he carried everyone else's opinion, why is he arguing against yours?

Look at it from our perspective. You made a pretty bold claim, we pointed out its flaws, you brought no solid claims, we did, you then turned to ad hominem arguments, and still had the audacity to get upset with us.
Everything you've brought up has been countered, and you haven't managed to refute anything of ours.


I'M BRING UP MANY SOLID CLAIMS.
Alright:
1) Fingerboard isn't going to make a difference, this is proved every time you play a fret with an inlay
2) A pickup is a magnet. Magnets don't pickup wood.
3) Just because the wood vibrates with the strings, it doesn't mean the strings will create more of certain frequencies
4) If wood makes such a huge tone difference, then why do you mess with equalizers and effects, which will just overshadow your guitar's original tone?
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #74
OliOsbourne
Registered User
 
OliOsbourne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: US
fingerpicking sounds different from using a pick...
__________________

Where's Waldo?

show
show
show
show
show
show
show
OliOsbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #75
marianoarnaiz
Registered User
 
marianoarnaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: caracas venezuela
Hi, I am a REAL Scientist. I am a Geophysicist and I do REAL research and publish my findings. I will make the point that the arguments presented do not follow a true and honest methodology. The REAL way to test the HYPOTHESIS would be to make 2 identical guitars with only one difference (e.g. an ash body and a rosewood body) and test the frequency content (on a oscilloscope with fourier transform) and check if they are different.

If the point is that there is no wood in the "signal chain" well... a physics point could be made by explaining that even though this is true, when you play a note, all the guitar vibrate with the string (play an open string and slightly place your hand in the head of your guitar to test it). As your string and guitar are connected the string will vibrate differently if is connected to a denser material or to a flexible material (exactly why the bridge also affects your tone). Therefore, wood matters...physics says so
marianoarnaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #76
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
This is definitely an opinion topic, since there is no concrete evidence on the matter.

And you're still grasping at straws. You've made no sound arguments against anything I've said, so you are going to just ignore me? That's pathetic.


It's pretty pathetic you've wasted a solid 2 hours arguing with someone you claim has no argument.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #77
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V
 
Pink Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Don't close the coffin yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
I'M BRING UP MANY SOLID CLAIMS.
Alright:
1) Fingerboard isn't going to make a difference, this is proved every time you play a fret with an inlay
2) A pickup is a magnet. Magnets don't pickup wood.
3) Just because the wood vibrates with the strings, it doesn't mean the strings will create more of certain frequencies
4) If wood makes such a huge tone difference, then why do you mess with equalizers and effects, which will just overshadow your guitar's original tone?

Objection Your Honor; asked and answered.

Please read our posts, I'm out of here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?


Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #78
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianoarnaiz
Hi, I am a REAL Scientist. I am a Geophysicist and I do REAL research and publish my findings. I will make the point that the arguments presented do not follow a true and honest methodology. The REAL way to test the HYPOTHESIS would be to make 2 identical guitars with only one difference (e.g. an ash body and a rosewood body) and test the frequency content (on a oscilloscope with fourier transform) and check if they are different.

If the point is that there is no wood in the "signal chain" well... a physics point could be made by explaining that even though this is true, when you play a note, all the guitar vibrate with the string (play an open string and slightly place your hand in the head of your guitar to test it). As your string and guitar are connected the string will vibrate differently if is connected to a denser material or to a flexible material (exactly why the bridge also affects your tone). Therefore, wood matters...physics says so


Evidence you're a real scientist/ these studies?
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #79
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
It's pretty pathetic you've wasted a solid 2 hours arguing with someone you claim has no argument.

Same to you
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #80
samuraigoomba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Mega-butthurt fag detected. Well, the musical tastes thing was kinda off topic, but that kind of thing just bugs me "Ohhh, M3tallica420 would be such a cool name"... but it looks like you're starting to lose since you have to refer to my invalid argument to continue yours.

>_>

"Fag" in 2012 on a forum for guitar players (as in, NOT 4chan)? How old are you?

Also, my opinion is that black sabbath isn't overrated at all. I'm gonna call the cops and tell them to come make you listen to Planet Caravan and Faeries Wear Boots until you agree with me.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.