Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #81
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliOsbourne
fingerpicking sounds different from using a pick...


Alright, pick may have a difference, since the strings will vibrate in a different manner.
You won there.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #82
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
 
nickdohle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Watch this. I got most right except a Two. The all single coil Corvus and the Les Paul Studio in Single coil mode. Definitely a difference on most of these I felt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFF5...&feature=relmfu

The guy is an ass hat though
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #83
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
>_>

"Fag" in 2012 on a forum for guitar players (as in, NOT 4chan)? How old are you?

Also, my opinion is that black sabbath isn't overrated at all. I'm gonna call the cops and tell them to come make you listen to Planet Caravan and Faeries Wear Boots until you agree with me.


He called me a "Troll bitch", so you're obviously biased.

Oh, and I have all of Black Sabbath's albums, I'm not saying they're good, but much too overrated.

Last edited by Sullinger : 11-15-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #84
marianoarnaiz
Registered User
 
marianoarnaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: caracas venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
I'M BRING UP MANY SOLID CLAIMS.
Alright:
1) Fingerboard isn't going to make a difference, this is proved every time you play a fret with an inlay
2) A pickup is a magnet. Magnets don't pickup wood.
3) Just because the wood vibrates with the strings, it doesn't mean the strings will create more of certain frequencies
4) If wood makes such a huge tone difference, then why do you mess with equalizers and effects, which will just overshadow your guitar's original tone?


"Just because the wood vibrates with the strings, it doesn't mean the strings will create more of certain frequencies"

Actually IT WILL. Some building are standing up today because when you have different materials connected their stiffness adds up in different ways and they react differently to vibrations. Works for buildings, bridges, seismology and guitars mate
marianoarnaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #85
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
At this point we all assume you are TONE deaf and not very smart or just good at being a troll


Well,
people laughed at everyone who said the Earth was round at first.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #86
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianoarnaiz
"Just because the wood vibrates with the strings, it doesn't mean the strings will create more of certain frequencies"

Actually IT WILL. Some building are standing up today because when you have different materials connected their stiffness adds up in different ways and they react differently to vibrations. Works for buildings, bridges, seismology and guitars mate


yeah, but you're stiffness doesn't apply since you have to change your string's stiffness constantly.
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #87
danvwman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I got into a discussion about why I dislike gibsons and the a person said "you can play 10 or more of the same model and they will all feel and sound different, you may play 20-30 before you find one that feels or sounds right" or something close to that.

They all have the same hardware,electronics, strings and wood.

What is different is the DENSITY of each piece of wood that makes each one sound different.
__________________
What the hell!!!
danvwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #88
samuraigoomba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianoarnaiz
Hi, I am a REAL Scientist. I am a Geophysicist and I do REAL research and publish my findings. I will make the point that the arguments presented do not follow a true and honest methodology. The REAL way to test the HYPOTHESIS would be to make 2 identical guitars with only one difference (e.g. an ash body and a rosewood body) and test the frequency content (on a oscilloscope with fourier transform) and check if they are different.

Exactly. I've been trying to say this, but apparently the response is, "shut up, they're the same and you're an idiot to say otherwise because lololol it's plugged in."

Simply put, if it's not in a peer-reviewed scientific paper, if it's not put forward by a team of qualified researchers in relevant fields, if the methodology can be shown to be flawed or the researchers can be shown to have extreme, obvious bias...

It's not a reliable study and it doesn't mean anything!
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #89
marianoarnaiz
Registered User
 
marianoarnaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: caracas venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Evidence you're a real scientist/ these studies?


you can look for my papers online:

−Arnaiz-Rodríguez, M.S., Rodríguez-Millán, I., Audemard, F., 2011, Análisis gravimétrico y flexural del occidente de Venezuela: Revista Mexicana de Ciencias Geológicas, v. 28, núm. 3, p. 420-438.

−Arnaiz-Rodríguez M., Garzon, Y., 2012 Anomalías gravimétricas del Caribe. Interciancias 37(3) ,172-182

-“Magnetic anomalies in the Eastern Caribbean” Orihuela, N., García, A., Arnaiz, M. Int J Earth Sci (Geol Rundsch) DOI 10.1007/s00531-012-0828-6
marianoarnaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #90
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Okay, I give up. Go back and read my posts until you understand them. My fault for assuming the world was as smart as me.

Good night!
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #91
Sullinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianoarnaiz
you can look for my papers online:

−Arnaiz-Rodríguez, M.S., Rodríguez-Millán, I., Audemard, F., 2011, Análisis gravimétrico y flexural del occidente de Venezuela: Revista Mexicana de Ciencias Geológicas, v. 28, núm. 3, p. 420-438.

−Arnaiz-Rodríguez M., Garzon, Y., 2012 Anomalías gravimétricas del Caribe. Interciancias 37(3) ,172-182

-“Magnetic anomalies in the Eastern Caribbean” Orihuela, N., García, A., Arnaiz, M. Int J Earth Sci (Geol Rundsch) DOI 10.1007/s00531-012-0828-6


I could post a Stephen Hawking paper and tell you I'm him.
and where's your guitar research?
Sullinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #92
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
 
nickdohle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Dude. You're a dick
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #93
marianoarnaiz
Registered User
 
marianoarnaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: caracas venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
yeah, but you're stiffness doesn't apply since you have to change your string's stiffness constantly.


Not quite, stiffness is not time dependent, as the strings behave elastically and not plastic-elastically or viscoelastically the stiffness of the full guitar does not variate as you play
marianoarnaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #94
marianoarnaiz
Registered User
 
marianoarnaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: caracas venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
I could post a Stephen Hawking paper and tell you I'm him.
and where's your guitar research?


ERM

First, I made the point I am a geophysicist i work with the Earth and as you can check my name is Mariano Arnaiz... real work here.

Second, I base what I said in my knowledge of elastic solids a finite elements methods applied to elastic materials and bulk structures (as the Earth crust, seismic resistant structures, etc).
marianoarnaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #95
Miyagi84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
This is crap. Even though the tone pots, pickup types/amp type/ string type all have a huge impact on the tone, possibly even moreso than the type of wood used, the fact remains is wood has a big impact on the sound a guitar makes... this fact is undeniable.
Miyagi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #96
DKDinky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Hmmm... somebody seems really high on himself. You're the only over educated moron in this thread who is arguing your point. Not one other person has come in here and tried to back you up or believed what you're trying to prove. Other than some stupid youtube video you didn't even find! So maybe, if the general consensus is that pickups can pickup the tonal differences in TONE woods, and that everything in the guitar has an impact on the vibrating strings, that maybe you should shut the hell up and quit trolling.
DKDinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #97
marianoarnaiz
Registered User
 
marianoarnaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: caracas venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Okay, I give up. Go back and read my posts until you understand them. My fault for assuming the world was as smart as me.

Good night!


Bring us a real and scientific prove of your point, if you give me a mechanically valid reason of it i will support you, but until now i have the most physically validated point if view. Is not about smartness, is about fact and someone not-smart can hold a real and valid fact
marianoarnaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #98
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
I agree with you, and that makes sense. If the guitar is played acoustically. I don't know how to explain it, since all my previous attempts seemed to fail: it doesn't matter once it hits the pickup. If all this tonal wood hype was true, then why do we have 3 band eqs on our amps? Even if wood did make a difference plugged in, it wouldn't matter since the amp and effects you use would overshadow it.


Yes it does... the pick-ups do not change the way the strings vibrate, merely read it. The wood the strings are attached to do. So say the wood dampens some upper midrange vibrations in the strings, the pickups will notice this.

The fretting on inlays thing has another point... the string vibrates after a metal fret, not on the board itself. That;s why inlays are negligible compared to the overall construction.

The study you linked is incomplete and so far it's incomplete, there's no paper or procedure to read and the results discussed were a quick look over 2 weeks, which is only a little bit of time and you wouldn't expect a massive difference. The differences are subtle as you're playing the same note at the end of the day. I'm also interested how the response will be to chords.

I found this study: http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/t...guitar_wood.pdf

He for some reason concludes at it makes no difference through the pickups, but shows a noticeable difference in his results. If you play it through a highly gained and compressed amp these overtones may get lost, but judging by those graphs the difference in response is not insignificant IMO. The conclusion is not supported by the data presented. I've seen smaller differences in the frequency response of headphones and can still tell a difference between the pairs. Furthermore, he's managed to pick up a difference in Alder and Ash which are reasonable similar tonally. It should have been an Alder/Mahogany mix. The procedure in the experiment seems sound, but the study is a bit flawed; it wasn't comprehensive enough to come to the conclusion that tone woods make no difference. If he found such an even smaller difference between mahogany and alder you could make the conclusion that the tone woods make no difference but that wasn't the case.

Now on your point on the EQ; yes, there is an argument that you can approximate the tonality of ash using an alder bodied guitar by manipulating the volume, tone and eq pots in the guitar and rig. However, a 3 band EQ is very crude; you can not seriously expect to make a les paul sound like a strat with 3 bands and the guitar tone knobs which trim bass and treble. Maybe with a 10 band parametric but it's still a huge over-simplification of the peaks and troughs in the actual signal. You will be surprised how small a noticeable difference looks.

edit: The pickup's magnetic field does have an effect on the vibrations of the string too, but this does not eliminate the overall effect on the wood. Their effects are combined, along with the other hardware on the guitar.

Last edited by baumaxx1 : 11-15-2012 at 02:45 AM.
baumaxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #99
MR.ParKs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Metal
Why can you not accept the fact that different wood densities create different frequency? For christ sake, forget guitars, go grab a piece of mahogany and a piece of maple. Knock on them with your hand, they sound different. When strings mount to the bridge, and the bridge to the body, frequencies resonate from the picked string and reflect through through the body. Yes the pickups recieve the vibration from the strings before all this happens, but that doesn't change the fact that they still resonate differently depending on the wood type.
MR.ParKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #100
KSEjunkie2468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinger
Evidence you're a real scientist/ these studies?


What do you want, a pdf copy of his degree you moron? And whether he is a professional scientist or a scientist at all, what he describes is correct. Google it, its physics.
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.