Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Are strings stronger than we think?
Yes 18 62.07%
No 11 37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Dan477
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Do strings take more tension than we can imagine

I think we are underesitmating their strength. I got a Low E up to C#. I got a B string up to G.

Guages Low E .056 B string .016

Last edited by Dan477 : 11-18-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Dan477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
DylanHendrix
Acid King
 
DylanHendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere in time
I voted yes, but being as I find changing strings inconvenient I will not be conducting any tests
__________________
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
DylanHendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH


It's already time for cats.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
 
AcousticMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
they are exactly as string as their maximun tension.

the fact that you said low E string and B string instead of giving the actual gauges makes me believe that you are approaching this investigation with less then a full box of clues.

the box of clues may actually be empty.
__________________
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Last edited by AcousticMirror : 11-18-2012 at 11:10 PM.
AcousticMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Skullivan
JKap's Trusty Headband
 
Skullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The opposite of Compton, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
the fact that you said low E string and B string instead of giving the actual gauges makes me believe that you are approaching this investigation with less then a full box of clues.

the box of clues may actually be empty.

I guess we better sit on down and figure it out...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by link no1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz-rock-feel
How damaging is it for a trans person to be referred to the incorrect gender as a child?
I don't see how it would be damaging. I got called C-dog for a number of years despite not being a dog. I turned out alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
PRS is not enough
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Phoenix V
Registered MUser
 
Phoenix V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullivan
I guess we better sit on down and figure it out...


Is it ok if I sit this one out? My head already hurts.
__________________
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light bulb. One to change the light bulb and 99 to stand around pointing and say..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 11-19-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia


Seriously, dude. The second result googling "guitar string tension" is this:
http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-19-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan477
I think we are underesitmating their strength. I got a Low E up to C#. I got a B string up to G.

Guages Low E .056 B string .016


I think we are over estimating the strength of our guitar necks. I got a Low E up to C#. I got a B string up to G. but i only assume the string takes the stress...

what about the neck man?

they use square necks on certain guitars that use high tension tunings so the neck doesn't warp or bow.




edit: cath beat me to the link
there is whole charts talking about strings and how much tension they can take

http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 11-19-2012 at 12:37 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
believe it or not when i was a sophomore in high school (2006) i did a similar project. i won school finals , the district finals and got an honorable mention at the state finals.

the take a lot. as somebody metioned the neck could bend.

i built a machine and i welded together a 1/4" steel vertical tower and put wights on them, and waited until they broke. i did two tests, one was longevity, meaning how long they would last under the weight, the second was how much at once (dropping the weight on the string). very different results.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
believe it or not when i was a sophomore in high school (2006) i did a similar project. i won school finals , the district finals and got an honorable mention at the state finals.

the take a lot. as somebody metioned the neck could bend.


that was like me, and i don't care if anyone else mentioned it (especially cath).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i built a machine and i welded together a 1/4" steel vertical tower and put wights on them, and waited until they broke. i did two tests, one was longevity, meaning how long they would last under the weight, the second was how much at once (dropping the weight on the string). very different results.


well now Bill Nye, this would be exactly the kind of information we would be asking for right? i always joke saying: "What? Do you think we are some kinda R&D firm?"... but you actually have empirical results from an actual controlled study.

so spill it. wtf.
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #12
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
that was like me, and i don't care if anyone else mentioned it (especially cath).



well now Bill Nye, this would be exactly the kind of information we would be asking for right? i always joke saying: "What? Do you think we are some kinda R&D firm?"... but you actually have empirical results from an actual controlled study.

so spill it. wtf.



its a long time ago and i don't think i have the exact documents on this computer unfortunaly. but from memory, on the longevity test, it would hold about tripple the wait was rated (on a 25.5" scale according to d'addario) held for quite a while, maybe a day. they would break on the dropping weight experiment, it didn't hold up to pound ratings. maybe slightly over half. best i can remember.

another year i did the relationship of tension and frequency on a single guitar string but didn't make it past districts. that on was harder as far as getting the right information displayed clearly, but it was fun. used the same rig as the previous experiment with a couple of modifications.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #13
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
its a long time ago and i don't think i have the exact documents on this computer unfortunaly. but from memory, on the longevity test, it would hold about tripple the wait was rated (on a 25.5" scale according to d'addario) held for quite a while, maybe a day. they would break on the dropping weight experiment, it didn't hold up to pound ratings. maybe slightly over half. best i can remember.

another year i did the relationship of tension and frequency on a single guitar string but didn't make it past districts. that on was harder as far as getting the right information displayed clearly, but it was fun. used the same rig as the previous experiment with a couple of modifications.


seems we can still draw conclusions: the more weight on the string, the shorter the life of the string.

so tension on the string doesn't just involve how much tension the string can take, but how long the string lasts. more tension = shorter life. also, let's not forget about the neck. poor thing.

there ya go TS. as mentioned in the other threads, nominal string tension should be observed. what is brough up in this thread is that any more tension than nominal effects the life of the string.
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
 
Blktiger0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marrietta, Ohio, USA
I estimate that my string will handle just as much tension as I put on it until it breaks. I haven't been let down yet. I didn't even need an experiment. (that's actually pretty awesome, trashedlostfdup)
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Science!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
trevh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Winnipeg Mb
__________________
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster


My Band - A Waste Odyssey
trevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
So based on all that 'scientific' analysis above, I could buy the new Peavey AT-200, tune it to C standard, use the Auto-tune technology so it sounded like E standard and my strings would last for-EVAH!!!!

And 2 step bends would be cake....I'mma sound just like SRV, minus the tore up fingertips!!
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Roc8995
Moderator
 
Roc8995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Stop making string tension threads. This is stupid.
__________________
rr, pe&a
Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.