Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
jazzlp

Need help finding a hollow body

Hi there.

For a long time I have been wanting a Gibson ES-175. Unfortunately, I can't afford this. I don't have any hollow-body guitars and i am seriously considering selling my Gibson Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster to afford a one.

So i was wondering if you guys know any good hollow-body guitars that is a little bit cheaper than the Gibson ES-175? I play mainly Jazz.

My local music-store doesn't have much to choose from. I can ask them to order stuff so I can try them out though. I just don't know where to start.
jazzlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Look at the Godins and Reverend hollow and semihollow offerings:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thaveseriesp.htm

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Quality guitars at affordable prices.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Smigzy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Look at the Godins and Reverend hollow and semihollow offerings:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thaveseriesp.htm

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Quality guitars at affordable prices.

Man, you really love Godin guitars... Do you own stock? Every time someone asks questions about guitars Godin is always the first thing you recommend.

Not saying there is anything wrong with them. But I find it hard to believe a Godin is the answer to every guitar players needs.
Smigzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
jpnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigzy
Man, you really love Godin guitars... Do you own stock? Every time someone asks questions about guitars Godin is always the first thing you recommend.

Not saying there is anything wrong with them. But I find it hard to believe a Godin is the answer to every guitar players needs.

Godin hollow bodies are less expensive than other high-end brands, and they’re often promoted with steep discounts, so they’re usually a good answer to these threads.

The Ibanez Artcore AF and AG hollow bodies are very similar to the Gibson ES-175 and far less expensive, especially if you buy used.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigzy

I try out a lot of guitars, and I try to pay attention to what other people recommend.

So when someone starts a "Which guitar?" thread, I can depend on several things (on UG):

1) appropriate Ibanez, Schecter, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch and ESP/LTD models WILL be suggested by someone here. They don't need me to bring them up, but I WILL second certain suggestions.

2) typically, I'll be the first, second or only person to suggest some of the lesser known big brands like Godin, Fernandes, Reverend, Fret-King, Hagstrom, G&L, Carvin, etc. which may offer equivalent or better options.

3) Godin in particular has a fairly broad product line, with models aimed at most major genres. And they're very well made- assemblY & QC are all in Canada. As such, they're every bit as good a suggestion in general as the ubiquitous Ibanez, Schecter, LTD, etc.

Right now, the Godin Kingpins & Montreals and Reverend Pete Anderson hollowbodies (and semihollows like the Manta Ray and Club King) offer GREAT value for money in the $800-1400 range.

FWIW, those Artcores are really good guitars, but I knew that someone else would cover that base.

And Hagstom has some models that might work, as does Fret-King, but the Hags may be voiced more towards rock, and the F-K Gordon Giltrap sig is a killer, but it will be a nightmare to find outside the UK.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 07-26-2014 at 05:43 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Tony Done

Ibanez are very good value - I've seen a lot because my mate stocks them in his music store, and they would be the first place I would look for an inexpensive hollow or semihollow. - But I've never seen the Godins or Reverends.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
jazzlp

Thank you for the tips. I'll check them all out!
jazzlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Vulcan

Have a look at Eastman as well. They are terrific value in a jazz-specific guitar.
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Eastman AR605e
Eastman El Rey 1
Godin ACS SA ltd. ed.
THD Univalve
THD Flexi 50
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlp
Hi there.

For a long time I have been wanting a Gibson ES-175. Unfortunately, I can't afford this. I don't have any hollow-body guitars and i am seriously considering selling my Gibson Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster to afford a one.

So i was wondering if you guys know any good hollow-body guitars that is a little bit cheaper than the Gibson ES-175? I play mainly Jazz.

My local music-store doesn't have much to choose from. I can ask them to order stuff so I can try them out though. I just don't know where to start.

in case you're in UK or in Europe...
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/epiphone-e...intage-sunburst

Last edited by paruwi : 07-27-2014 at 06:15 PM.
paruwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
I K0nijn I

The Loar does some great jazz guitars as well. Peerless might be worth looking into as well. Gretsch might be associated with rock and rockabilly and the likes more nowadays, but they're great jazz guitars as well obviously.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: