Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
bAngiel01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I regret joining this site and taking an interest in guitar gear.

+1

And I regret not researching anything guitar-related before buying my first set-up. When I started guitar, I didn't know there were any brands other than Gibson/Epiphone and Fender. Yeah, I was that naive and clueless. After buying my Les Paul (which wasn't a terrible purchase), I got a Fender G-DEC to go with it (that was a bad idea).

Had I done more research, I probably would have paid more attention to what kinds of guitars I was experimenting with, and would have bought a better amp.
bAngiel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Dean Vendetta
Vypyr 15 (shoulda got a used 30)
Boss MT-2
Ibanez RG120
Peavey Valveking 212
LTD V-50

Stupid waste of money. I.stead of buying that crap I could have had 2 more LTD Deluxes or 1 and a decent head.

This also emphasizes how much money you can spend on crappy gear when you don't go used. I spent over 1K on that crap, and that was *with* the Boss and the Valveking being used.

I discovered UG somewhere between the RG120 and the Valveking.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 11-15-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #23
iheartgun
UG's user of common sense

buying a jet city picovalve. i cant give the damn thing away so its mod time for it
selling my b52at100 head after i got it fixed but couldnt get sounds out of it that i liked. so i sold it even when u guys told me not to.

the big one.
getting mad and refusing to listen to you guys when you were telling me that my spider 2 halfstack was trash and that it sounded like hot garbage

im so glad i have come to my senses.

Guitars
Epiphone 58' explorer(jb/59)
ltd ex-260(emg81/60)
ltd m400nt(t2/liquifire)
78 hondo2 les paul
85 peavey horizon 2

Board
i has pedulz lots of pedulz
iheartgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Charvel Desolation DX-1.
It was a real piece of crap and got sent right back.

Oh and also a Boss GT-6, used it about 3 times and decided it was total shit. Keep meaning to sell it on but keep forgetting about it.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I regret joining this site and taking an interest in guitar gear.

I regret posting this.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
kindadumb

My early dalliance with tube amps. I experimented with a Blackstar HT, Bugera V22, Peavey Valve King, Egnater Tweaker and Fender Super-Sonic 22 before finally finding "my" sound - in a solid state Peavey Special 112. I'd written off solid state because I was new to guitar and had many friends who'd been playing for years - some of whom even recorded professionally - and they all pushed me into tube gear.

The problem is, while my friends want to sound like this, I prefer this instead - and I couldn't get my preferred sound until I tried out that old Peavey. (Coincidentally, that guitarist now plays a solid state Peavey as well).

Of course, there's the matter of that old Peavey being damn near 70 lbs, but that's my only other regret. Moral of the story? Trust your ears. For most of you, that will mean tube amps, but for the rest of you, don't think for one second that your rig is inferior just because it's transistor-driven.
kindadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Not a godamn thing. It's called research, guys.

+1
I have enjoyed all of my gear. Like everyone here at the beginning it was mediocre gear, but I felt like a rockstar playing through that 25 watt Dean amp when I was a kid.

I regret selling some pieces of gear over the years
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #28
harrisonatsix

I had an ibanez gio as my first guitar and only guitar up until a couple months ago, although i'm not sure i regret is as although now i hate it and never play it, it served a purpose when i knew no better.
However the big mistake was when i went out to buy what I thought was my first "proper" amp, and i came back with a 75watt spider, it was fine for a couple weeks then i realised it had no good sounds and absolutely everything sounded crap, so then i went and wasted 45 on an od3, thinking i'd be able to get a nicer overdrive, which was a total waste as ss amps hate pedals.

Luckily now I've got an amazing ac30 and a fender telecaster ja-90 and the sounds are amazing, tubes made so much difference, but i suppose having shitty gear has allowed me to appreciate how amazing my new gear really does sound.
harrisonatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #29
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

Quote:

+1
I've had some ridiculously shoddy gear over the few years I have been playing guitar, but that's the journey one takes to try to find their own sound. And it's also made me a more discerning customer.
Right now, I'm really stoked with the gear I have - although I probs should get my WH-10 modded and I've had GAS to get an Orange Dark Terror and a 4x12...but that'll make me broke
UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #30
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Probably my fender Champ. I bought it cheap. And used the hell out of it. But looking back, I bought it because I thought my DSL was broken, when in reality, I had a broken speaker cable. Thats being a dumb ass for ya. But I learned and lived.

Though I did crank that champ all the time. Then boosted it with an overdrive. It sounded fairly good. The speaker sucked but when I hooked it up to my 4x12 it wasnt to shabby. Needs new tubes though. Haha
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #31
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Damn, it seems like this is turning into "The People who bought MG's and Spiders"

At least now we'll have somewhere to point the people that come on and say "Why does X piece of gear get so much hate?" or that argue that the Spider they have is amazing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
It's not that I hated the sound of my MG at the time, it's just that I wasted so much time on bad tone, when I could have easily afforded a used 5150, Valveking, etc.

With my current rig, I just can't wait to get home and pick up my guitar. It's not so much the fact that I want to play, it's that I just can't wait to hear my rig. This has made me a much better guitar player.

That was my main regret - that I could have spent that money on something that would have suited me much better and lasted longer for me.

I'm the same way

It just makes me sad that I hardly get a chance to play through my rig at home right now, due to my living situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
It's not like I would buy this stuff again, or recommend it to anyone else, but I think it helped me learn the limitations of certain gear and appreciate what I have now.

I can appreciate this point of view. I do have the knowledge of how to get a decent sound out of an MG to help out other poor suckers who have bought them. My MG also led me to getting my TL-2, which I still use today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
It was playing up and someone who worked for my dad offered to fix it - but my dad ended up sacking him before I got round to getting it back

That freaking sucks!

Quote:

Well, Mr. I don't make mistakes, I have yet to meet a 12 year old that is more into research and less into whatever looks cool and is cheap. I don't beleive for a second that every member of this forum hasn't made a gear purchase that they didn't like. Even when making informed decisions by getting advice from people that know what they're talking about (See:My JCA24S purchase) you can still end up with something that isn't what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
+1
I have enjoyed all of my gear. Like everyone here at the beginning it was mediocre gear, but I felt like a rockstar playing through that 25 watt Dean amp when I was a kid.

I don't think anyone should ever regret their first steup. You have to start somewhere, and if it weren't for that first amp and guitar, you wouldn't be sitting here now. I'll never regret my Squier Strat and Squier Frontman clone, nor the Frontman 15 I was given when that amp broke. Without those, I probably would have quit guitar.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 11-15-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #32
gregs1020
Hi mom!

I regret nothing.

NOTHING!!!!!

Yes I'm trying to convince myself mostly.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #33
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

I only regret getting rid of my Mesa F30. Otherwise, no gear I ever bought didn't serve its purpose. Sure, I bought a squire 10 watt amp, and sure it sucked. I also had no idea what I wanted in the electric guitar world, so it served its purpose.

Now that I think about it, I regret getting rid of my crate gx65. It went to a good home though, so I guess that wasn't too bad. (btw, those amps were basically the vh140c preamp into a smaller mono power amp)

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #34
kindadumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonatsix
so then i went and wasted 45 on an od3, thinking i'd be able to get a nicer overdrive, which was a total waste as ss amps hate pedals.

Hm?
kindadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #35
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
(btw, those amps were basically the vh140c preamp into a smaller mono power amp)

Are all of the GX amps (heads) like that? I may keep an eye out for one if so.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #36
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

buying a rockbox boiling point.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #37
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Make sure its got the old block logo. But I don't know that they are all like that. I have an older than the gx65, g40C XL and it sounds pretty similar, though it does have 2 8 inch speakers so it isn't exact. They are dirt cheap though and definitely pretty raw sounding. Worth it to snag one. If you find one of the stereo chorus models the chorus actually sounds pretty good.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Years ago I had a really nice yamaha acoustic. I was starting to play with other musicians and drummers(haha) so I bought an ovation electric acoustic and traded the Yamaha for a couch. Less than a month later I was already missing the Yamaha and not even using the ovation. After 13 years, just a few days ago, I finally bought an acoustic (a very sexy Hohner HW-60) that I like as much as I liked that Yamaha.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #39
mark66saints

Buying a 30 watt Spider III, when for the same price I could have had an Epiphone tube amp (which was re-badged as a Legacy). I didn't want to be seen playing through a Legacy, so I went with the Line 6. Makes sense, right?
I've played through a couple of the Epiphone amps recently, and to be honest I don't particularly like how they sound, but it still would have been such an improvement on my sucky Line 6, which I had to put up with until this year.

I think that in the end, everyone's going to regret the gear they bought early on. Part of learning guitar is learning what gear you like, what tone you want, so maybe it wasn't really such a bad decision for us all to get an amp that could do a wide range of sounds averagely before we spent serious money on something that could do a narrower range of sounds a lot better. But can you imagine what'd be like to buy a beginner's rig with the knowledge you now hold..
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
mark66saints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #40
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
buying a rockbox boiling point.

I have only heard good things about this box. Why didnt you like it?
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: