Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
PeaveyBOS429

cymbal talk

im currently in a metal band. i trying to figure out a cymbal company that i think is best for me. i have no idea which i like best. any ideas or suggestions?
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
guitar>tuner>808>noise decimator.
LOOP-EQ>sonic stomp>phase90>time machine.
PeaveyBOS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
joeythedrummer

Most metal drummers play zildjian, sabian or Meinl, but use that just for starters. The great thing about drums is being able to mix and match. Don't write off a piece of equipment just because it's not the brand you want. You could find some obscure cymbal that you've never heard of that has just the sound you've been looking for.

FYI... although I exclusively use a tama set while gigging because it's sturdier, I still have a little $800 Dynamic set that I occasionally use for recording... It's all about the sound, dude \m/
joeythedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
PeaveyBOS429

alrigh thanks for thr advice man. deffiently keep that in mind.
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
guitar>tuner>808>noise decimator.
LOOP-EQ>sonic stomp>phase90>time machine.
PeaveyBOS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

Get what sounds good to you. It's really that simple.
If you really wanted to you could check reviews on the durability of the cymbal.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
Steve08

Just go to a store, and either bring your own sticks or ask to borrow a pair, then play some and see which sounds to your preference. Most cymbals (even another of the exact same kind) don't sound exactly alike so there's a chance of one watching a video review or something of the sort, buying the cymbal based on that then finding it doesn't sound the same... so, I guess I would recommend to not be that guy.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!

Just to add to what everyone else has been saying, look up your favourite drummers/bands and see what gear they're using. Should point you in a rough general direction.

I'd also recommend looking at lesser known brands like Istanbul, Stagg, Dream, Soultone, Wuhan etc.. They almost always have something that may surprise you and might fall in love with.
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
MatrixClaw
UG God

Just try a bunch of stuff.

I originally started on Sabian B8s and fairly quickly regretted that decision. Ended up selling my drum set after my band broke up, but I got another one down the line and I thought Zildjian A Customs were gonna be the best, based on the bands I liked, so I bought a full set of them. I ended up selling them all, except for the crashes (which are still my favorite of any brand/series).

I had a REALLY hard time finding a China cymbal I liked. I went through like 20 before I finally settled on an 18" Sabian HHX and a 14" Sabian AAX. Still, not completely happy with either, but I've yet to find any I liked better.

Rides can be tricky - You need something that can cut through all the rest of your cymbals (ie: extremely loud crash cymbals), as well as the guitars. Finding a bell that has a nice ping, that isn't too high pitched, but still could be heard over the rest of the kit in fast blast beats and dense chord progressions was difficult. The A Custom could cut, but the ping was obnoxious, I had a 20" Sabian HH Medium Ride I really liked the sound of, but it just wouldn't cut over my other cymbals to save its life, sounded fantastic for anything BUT metal, but it just didn't work for the genres I was mainly playing. Also had an old Zildjian Avedis 19" that was really cool, even as a crash, but it suffered from the same volume difference as the others. Ended up trading the A Custom ride for a Meinl Byzance Traditional 20" Heavy Ride and it sounds awesome, probably the loudest cymbal on my kit, but in a good way, without being obnoxious. The Sabian Raw Bell Dry Ride is really cool, too, I wanted one of those before I got the Meinl.

Hi-Hats, I just went to the store and played everything. The Zildjian K-Custom Hybrids came out on top, but good Lord were they expensive. I drooled over those for months while I grinned and bared it with my clangy A Customs, and finally scored a pair on eBay for cheap. Haven't looked back since. Kinda wish I had a second pair that sound a bit more trashy and washy, but as a main pair of hats, they just kill.

Crashes, I tried a ton, but kept coming back to my A Customs. The 16" is my "main" crash, while I have a 17" that I added later on the left side. I tried Sabian Vault, AAX and AA, as well as Saluda Decadence and Zildjian A and K and while the Vault was a really nice sounding cymbal, I bought the 17" A Custom at the same time, and it beat it out by a tad... plus the Sabian was worth more, so I sold it and made some cash back. Really dig the Zildjian Ks, but if I were to go with those, I'd have to buy new cymbals in every other position, because they just didn't fit with my others in volume or tone. I also found that I don't like anything smaller than 15" as a crash (and even then, most 15" I didn't like), or bigger than 19" (and again, most 19s were kinda iffy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
Beezerk

For metal...Paiste Rude...job done.
Beezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Skinny91
Object-beater

I'm a big supporter of Meinl, Chris Adler from Lamb of God and Brann Dailor from Mastodon use them and a lot of the "djent" guys like Matt Halpbern from Periphery and Matt Garska from Animals as Leaders. But as the others have said its all down to trying them out and mixing and matching whatever you like.

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Skinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
zeek7pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerk

Exactly this.......
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
HeretiK538
Petrol

Everything that has been said about mixing and matching, and looking for your sound, is totally right. That said, I'm just working with Zildjians at the minute - I've got some Zildjian Avedis 14" hi-hats, an 18" Z3 crash and a 20" ZBT ride. The ride is obviously lower-quality than the rest of the set, but I personally feel it really stands up to the rest of the set - I can't see myself upgrading from it unless it really starts losing it's brightness or I come into money or something. I suspect the only way you're really going to get a good sense of what you want is through trial and error. So long as you don't get something just because your favourite band use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
HeretiK538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Lordyboy
Sp0drman

I would recommend to anyone the Sabian AAX-Treme 19' China. It cuts through incredibly well, as well as being incredibly loud, yet also has a nice depth to it that gives it a very full sound. Mine seems to work well in any rock or metal setting
Lordyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:

They're certainly loud. The sound isn't really for everyone though.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #14
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

if i were on a budget and wanted to play metal i would get the Zildjian cymbal pack for $600. i have all zildjain now, but some A and some A custom.

i used to have all Meinl soundcaster but i regret selling them, i only have one that is a 16" crash and am scooping up whatever soundcasters i find on craigslist.

when i decide on cymbals for my other set it will likely be the zildjain pack. however i would prefer meinl soundcaster/soundcaster customs.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Fabian69

Sup guys , I gota basic bottom of the line DB percussion drum set and im looking to build on it starting with symbols .Can i please have some suggestions on good quality and affordable symbols
Fabian69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
wes_jett2008

Quote:

We have a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian69
Sup guys , I gota basic bottom of the line DB percussion drum set and im looking to build on it starting with symbols .Can i please have some suggestions on good quality and affordable symbols

I recommend starting with a set of Paise PST-3's (except the china) or if you can afford it ... PST-5's. Nothing else comes close for the price / value IMO.

Last edited by wes_jett2008 : 11-21-2012 at 07:43 PM.
wes_jett2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #17
Second Rate

Well, i was in a metal band for a time, and my cymbal set up consisted of the following:

4 Zildjian A Custom cymbals: 20 inch Ping Ride, 12 inch Splash, 15 inch fast crash, 14 inch Mastersound Hi-Hats

1 Meinl: Bottom of the line 16 inch crash, but it has a great crash sound and is a killer choke cymbal

2 vintage Zildjians that were actually a flea market score. Don't know what series they are, but they both appear to be and sound like crash rides and are about 16 inches across.

I also recently procured a 21 inch A Zildjian Sweet Ride.

All in all, I've been quite satisfied with my cymbals, however, cymbal choice (much like almost everything in drumming) boils down to personal preference. So, just go to the shop and try some out, and don't limit yourself to one manufacturer.
Second Rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #18
babynancy543
Banned

What is the actual name of the wire that connects the orange Guitar Hero cymbal inside?
babynancy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #19
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynancy543
What is the actual name of the wire that connects the orange Guitar Hero cymbal inside?

seriously this is not a video game forum. its a drum forum. and this is related to cymbals.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: