Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
SamWhiteBASS

Recommend me some basses to try out?

So I know its a little while off yet, but i'm starting university next year. And if all goes according to plan I should be studying Popular Music and Recording! Due to my Dads abnormally low wage I'm eligible for a pretty big grant/bursary. Seen as I'm studying Music, I figured it is the perfect time to finally get hold of a top quality bass.

Obviously, my idea of top quality is going to be lower than some other peoples... But I'm probably wanting to spend 1000 tops, and I want to know what people would recommend is the best bass in terms of bang for my buck.

I'm probably looking to get a second hand bass, I'm not phased by casual wear and tear and as I said, I'm looking to get the best quality bass I can and pre owned is going to be the way to go.

I'm looking for something kind of Jazz bass styled. Two single coils, 4 strings and a thin neck. Ideally I'm also looking for a maple fret board. And thats more or less it! I'd also be interesting in trying some basses with a humbucker at the bridge, like the music man although there are none anywhere near me and I hear the necks are pretty chunky which is a pretty big put off for me, also I do like to try before I buy...

Anyway, Any help you guys can offer me would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure many of you are far more well informed than I am! Thanks in advance!
SamWhiteBASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
bassofthe

If you want a high-end Jazz, I would recommend a Dingwall Super J. I haven't tried the Super J myself, but the Dingwalls I have tried (including my own) are absolutely fantastic. Necks are pretty thin as well.
bassofthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
SamWhiteBASS

I've never seen these before, they're beautiful! I noticed they offer some fanned fret options aswell, do you have any experience with them? I've always wanted to try a fanned fret bass but never had the chance
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
bassofthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWhiteBASS
I've never seen these before, they're beautiful! I noticed they offer some fanned fret options aswell, do you have any experience with them? I've always wanted to try a fanned fret bass but never had the chance
All their basses have fanned frets. They aren't any more or less easy to play than parallel frets, but they sound awesome, and the string-to-string balance is better than on a regular bass.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
SamWhiteBASS

Yeah, I noticed that upon looking a bit further.... I have always wanted to try one, the concept seems like it would be right up my street. But I couldn't help but notice they dont have any prices on the site... How much do you think one of these would set me back?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
bassofthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWhiteBASS
Yeah, I noticed that upon looking a bit further.... I have always wanted to try one, the concept seems like it would be right up my street. But I couldn't help but notice they dont have any prices on the site... How much do you think one of these would set me back?
Depends on the model. You would have to ask them for a price list, which you can do here.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

You aren't getting a Dingwall jazz for a grand anytime soon. They run at nearly 3k new.

Go used. Bassdirect.co.uk has some nice instruments in at the moment, check the secondhand bit on their site

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
SamWhiteBASS

Thankyou sir, I'll give them a message now. Although, all this price secrecy is making me think that they're way out of my price range... I just saw a used Dingwall for 2,500 on ebay so thats not too reassuring!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
bassofthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
You aren't getting a Dingwall jazz for a grand anytime soon. They run at nearly 3k new.

Go used. Bassdirect.co.uk has some nice instruments in at the moment, check the secondhand bit on their site
My instinctual eraction to something I want being too expensive is to save up. I would rather wait a bit and then get the best of the best, than get something cheaper now.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
SamWhiteBASS

Although they're lovely basses, having just turned 18 and heading off to university at the start of next year, I'm not really in a position to be saving an extra 2,000 nor do I really want to even if I was! Thanks for the help man, but I really am looking to spend not much over 1000
Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassofthe
My instinctual eraction to something I want being too expensive is to save up. I would rather wait a bit and then get the best of the best, than get something cheaper now.

And my instinct is to look at the situation. This young man is starting university next year, and from experience, dropping several thousand pounds on a bass isn't high up on the priority list next to food, rent, books etc. He's stated he only wants to really top out at a grand, and that's fine. Dingwalls tend to hold value very well, so realistically for a Dingwall jazz, he'd be looking at double his top budget. There s a time and a place to start recommending saving up more, especially 2-3 times more, but this isn't it, I feel. There are plenty good basses at the ~1000 mark for what he wants to do.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
bassofthe

Quote:
And my instinct is to look at the situation. This young man is starting university next year, and from experience, dropping several thousand pounds on a bass isn't high up on the priority list next to food, rent, books etc. He's stated he only wants to really top out at a grand, and that's fine. Dingwalls tend to hold value very well, so realistically for a Dingwall jazz, he'd be looking at double his top budget. There s a time and a place to start recommending saving up more, especially 2-3 times more, but this isn't it, I feel. There are plenty good basses at the ~1000 mark for what he wants to do.
I certainly see you point, but I personally would and will save up for what I believe to be the best option. The issue here is priorities; I prioritize music over most other things.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
SamWhiteBASS

Quote:

Haha, hit the nail on he head there! I just want to get the best quality bass I can for playing/recording within my uni course.

I've been looking at the Fender Geddy Lee signature recently, I really like the feel of the neck and it ticks all the boxes in what I was looking for specs wise. But so far, I've owned two squire basses and I'm looking at buying a fender and I cant help but feel I'm only looking at fenders to kind of play it safe.

I haven't really looked into many other brands and I just want some advice on what is actually out there in this kind of price range and if I can get anything that might be more suited to what I want from another brand.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
SamWhiteBASS

Quote:
I certainly see you point, but I personally would and will save up for what I believe to be the best option. The issue here is priorities; I prioritize music over most other things.

I'm studying Popular Music and Recording at university I have prioritized music over more or less everything and 1000 is really the most I can muster up at the moment. I need to get a good quality bass for my university work and I feel I can get something that'll suit my needs within this price range
Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:

As do a lot of us. However, prioritsing does not mean blowing out over the odds for an instrument. In fact, prioritising is a non-issue here. If I knew Sam in real life, and he prioritised the instrument over everything else right now, I'd slap him upside of the head and tell him he's an idiot. Evidently he knows the value of money, and I applaud him on that. Plus, more money does not equal the best. I spenr 1659 on my CS Warwick. I worked two jobs for it at uni. I fell out of love with it for 2 months, but I've played more basses than I care to count, and it's still one of the best basses I've played at any price. It seems you're equating cost with how good something. You probably don't, but that's how it's coming across. And before you start saying you prioritise music above most things again, I f*cked up my early career as a biomedical scientist by signing a record deal, after three years of very hard study. I overprioritised music, if anything. You say you'd save up for the best option? It looks like Sam already has, and it's a grand. Law of diminishing returns is definately in effect with bass guitars, and that's coming from a Warwick, Ritter and Drozd fan.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
bassofthe

"Saving up" means waiting, not spending more than you have. I would rather wait until I could afford what I really wanted than buy something cheaper.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
SamWhiteBASS

Just going to throw this out there, I dont know what I really want... I'm looking for ideas of what to buy and where to look!

Despite the Dingwalls being beautiful basses, 3,000 is almost an alien sum of money to me and I dont intend to spend that on a bass. I have waited and I have saved what I deem a suitable amount of money for me to spend on a bass. To me, 1000 is a lot of money and probably more than I can justify spending on a bass in the first place.

1000 isnt my limit just because its all I can afford, its also my limit because I would not feel comfortable spending much more than that on a bass
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Sorry Sam.

As I said, try bassdirect.co.uk. Also, The Bass Gallery tends to keep a good stock of second hand instruments. Both have physical shops (Reading I think, and London respectively), so if you could go down to at least one of them for a day, that'd be a good thing to do.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
SamWhiteBASS

Quote:
Sorry Sam.

As I said, try bassdirect.co.uk. Also, The Bass Gallery tends to keep a good stock of second hand instruments. Both have physical shops (Reading I think, and London respectively), so if you could go down to at least one of them for a day, that'd be a good thing to do.

Thanks for that, I'll check out the website now
Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Also trying to think of places more up your neck of the woods (I studied in Chester, so a bit closer to home than London/Reading). I went to a place just outside Stockport I think which had a decent bass collection (including a Warwick BO 5 string at below a grand, which was ridiculous). I'll post once my mate gets back to me on where it was, he bought his amp from there.

Rate This Thread: