Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
MastodonMonkey

Smile Band's first recording/demo

Hey guys, I've been a member of the forum some time now, but really haven't ever had the need to post anything.

Anyways, my band Intergalactic Caravan has just finished their first recording and I though I'd share it so I could get some honest feedback from some people I don't know instead of from friends and family that won't tell me the truth. lol

I uploaded it on youtube:

The quality isn't too good because of youtube compressing it and such, but there's better quality on a facebook page. There's a link in the video description to our page.

FYI, we recorded the guitar, bass, and drum tracks on one track with a single condenser and then over dubbed vocals and such. Hope you guys enjoy and feedback would be much appreciated.
MastodonMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Drums sound bad, which is to be expected with only a room mic. Could have done without the nonsense in the middle. Guitar actually doesn't sound bad. Sounds like you're going for a Black Sabbath influenced sound, but maybe thats just because I'm thinking of Planet Caravan. Not bad, but I can't say you've won me over as a fan. That said, if this is really your first recording, well done, the quality isn't totally unbearable, though the drums need improvement, usually self recordings are pretty awful (I speak from experience trying to do it myself.) Keep at it I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Sounds cool, the poor quality of using one mic for the most of it actually gives it a unique cool sound (not that it hasn't been done before) that works well in this case. Does sound like something where I can see 4 guys just getting high and jamming to ****, whether that was the case or not I don't know haha. Good work
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
MastodonMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo's Guitar
Drums sound bad, which is to be expected with only a room mic. Could have done without the nonsense in the middle. Guitar actually doesn't sound bad. Sounds like you're going for a Black Sabbath influenced sound, but maybe thats just because I'm thinking of Planet Caravan. Not bad, but I can't say you've won me over as a fan. That said, if this is really your first recording, well done, the quality isn't totally unbearable, though the drums need improvement, usually self recordings are pretty awful (I speak from experience trying to do it myself.) Keep at it I suppose.

Yes, the drums aren't great, to me it sounds like we're in a hole, but it was our best bet in getting a good groove because it's pretty much impossible to get a natural groove by single track recording. I guess we sacrificed overall all quality for a raw sound. And the name was definitely inspired by planet caravan. We're looking to get a mixer at some point so we can individually mic everything up and record at once, but with better quality, but that's where money becomes and issue. Thank you for the input and taking the time to listen. A lot of people don't take the time, so thank you sir.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
ComradSputnik
UG's enlightened one

something seem off to me. It's moving a bit too slow. Maybe it would sound better if you would speed it up a bit, it would get more punch.
ComradSputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
MastodonMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Sounds cool, the poor quality of using one mic for the most of it actually gives it a unique cool sound (not that it hasn't been done before) that works well in this case. Does sound like something where I can see 4 guys just getting high and jamming to ****, whether that was the case or not I don't know haha. Good work

We weren't high lol. But yeah, that's the feel, we hope to have insane acid tripping live shows. And there' actually three of us, and bassist is a chick lol

Thank you for the time and input, glad you enjoyed

Rate This Thread: