Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
thebestjoe

Trade Schecter 8 string for Ltd 8 string?

Yet another guitar trade has arrived in my interest. My local GC has a new Ltd H-308 for a steal; $270. I played it last time I was there, and I liked it a lot. I don't have complete funds for it and I don't think I need 2 8 strings. I'll list the pros and cons of this versus my current 8 string, a Schecter Damnien Elite 8.

Ltd Pros
Thru-neck
Locking tuners
Same pickups as the Schecter
Deeper cut away with a contour.

Cons
25.5 inch scale
Not used to satin finish

Schecter pros
26.5 inch scale

Cons
Cinder block neck heel
My pinky hits the pickup switch a lot, making it nearly impossible to play with just the neck pickup

My main concern with the Ltd is the scale length is only 25.5 inch, and I hear there's problems with intonating the 2 lower strings.
Then again, I've pretty much only played this Schecter for the past 5 months.
What would the good people of UG do? Keep the Schecter? Jump on the Ltd? ***** myself out so I can have both? Trade unused pedals instead?
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I'd probably work towards a true upgrade. That 25.5" scale length would be a no go for me. I feel like a 25.5 on a 7 is too flubby, so I wouldn't even consider it for an 8. I don't know about the intonation problems, but if there is truth to that, then that's a great reason to avoid it.

I'm guessing you could probably sell either one on CL for $300, so I say buy the LTD if you can, try it for a bit, and then sell the Schecter if you decide to keep it. If not, I think GC offers a 30 day return policy for if you aren't satisfied, so you could just return it and go back to your Schecter. Or course, that's assuming you have the money to do that.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

IIRC they're both made at the same plant. So you'll probably end up with basically the same guitar sans flame maple veneer.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark Mass
IIRC they're both made at the same plant. So you'll probably end up with basically the same guitar sans flame maple veneer.

Not necessarily. The neck heel, and scale length are different. They could have used a different neck profile for the LTD. And some guitars are just better than others, even if they are made in the same plant.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
thebestjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I'd probably work towards a true upgrade. That 25.5" scale length would be a no go for me. I feel like a 25.5 on a 7 is too flubby, so I wouldn't even consider it for an 8. I don't know about the intonation problems, but if there is truth to that, then that's a great reason to avoid it.

I'm guessing you could probably sell either one on CL for $300, so I say buy the LTD if you can, try it for a bit, and then sell the Schecter if you decide to keep it. If not, I think GC offers a 30 day return policy for if you aren't satisfied, so you could just return it and go back to your Schecter. Or course, that's assuming you have the money to do that.

I forgot about flubby-ness completely! I have 7 strings ranging from 25.5 to 27 and There's no flub with them personally, but I feel that the low F is flubby on my current 8. I think my only true gripe was the heel, and the Ltd felt better that high. I think I'll just keep this and wait and see what ERG will catch my eye next.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Not necessarily. The neck heel, and scale length are different. They could have used a different neck profile for the LTD. And some guitars are just better than others, even if they are made in the same plant.

True...

Then again I'm not the biggest fan of either Schecter or ESP LTD.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

Trade un-used pedals.
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: