User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #41
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
i have done this, and it is truly a great feeling. and if i can do it, anyone can.

i'm kind of tipsy ATM, so i'm in a mushy mood lol. but seriously, anybody can do what i do, as long as they have the discipline and are willing to put in the effort.

you can do it man.

I know you're hammered, but no you haven't.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #42
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
Quote:
i have done this, and it is truly a great feeling. and if i can do it, anyone can.

i'm kind of tipsy ATM, so i'm in a mushy mood lol. but seriously, anybody can do what i do, as long as they have the discipline and are willing to put in the effort.

you can do it man.

I dunno man, 100% of listeners are never going to agree. I always thought if you could get 3 out of 4 people to really dig it then you're doing it right.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #43
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
to be honest i'd like to create something that someone (anyone, literally one person would be fine) could listen to and really enjoy

that's it.

Just make a song that consists of shitty djent breakdowns and all the scene feggits will love you. elitists will hate you though

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #44
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
Just make a song that consists of shitty djent breakdowns and all the scene feggits will love you. elitists will hate you though

in like 3 years you're gonna look back and be like 'wow no way i was such a dumbass metalhead'

then we'll show you posts like these

and you'll drink a bunch of draino
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #45
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
in like 3 years you're gonna look back and be like 'wow no way i was such a dumbass metalhead'

No I won't. And no, I won't.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #46
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:

Stop hatin' on metal you bastard.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #47
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
Stop hatin' on metal you bastard.

white devil, black metal

i hate metalheads with a passion. most genre's are fine, but the fans as a whole are just god awful. especially when they mix up the deathcore and djent crowds because they don't know what they're talking about.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #48
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
white devil, black metal

i hate metalheads with a passion. most genre's are fine, but the fans as a whole are just god awful. especially when they mix up the deathcore and djent crowds because they don't know what they're talking about.

Horrible generalization, but it's true of a lot of metalheads I suppose.

sort of on topic, this week has been good for gigs, saw:

Architects (with the Acacia Strain and Bury tomorrow)
Parkway Drive (with Emmure)

Needless to say I'm quite bruised

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #49
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
Horrible generalization, but it's true of a lot of metalheads I suppose.

sort of on topic, this week has been good for gigs, saw:

Architects (with the Acacia Strain and Bury tomorrow)
Parkway Drive (with Emmure)

Needless to say I'm quite bruised

but those aren't metal silly
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #50
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

SHUTUP

(sorry im drhk)

Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #51
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Don't know, I've more or less given up.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #52
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
I know you're hammered, but no you haven't.

you're funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
I dunno man, 100% of listeners are never going to agree. I always thought if you could get 3 out of 4 people to really dig it then you're doing it right.

agreed. where did anyone say anything about 100%?

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #53
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
to be honest i'd like to create something that someone (anyone, literally one person would be fine) could listen to and really enjoy

that's it.

You know what, I used to have the exact same goal. Perhaps the wording was a little different, that I could write something that will be "remembered". And then it was pointed out to me that I'd already accomplished this goal.

About 10 years ago now (geez, I'm sounding old hahah) my mum wrote a song about my home town Mallacoota, and I was hungover and made a parody of it. It was fleshed out and my mates and I thought it was very funny, chanting the song through the streets while walking to the pub, then chanting it more in the pub.

People started joining in. They actually started requesting the song and everybody would chant. Even now people ask "are you the guy that wrote that song?" like it's some sort of urban legend.

I uploaded it to youtube a number of years ago , and as of today the view count stands at 2,236 views, which is a little over twice the population of that town.

So one day I say "I want to write something that's remembered" and my brother goes, "dude, you've already done it!" (pointing out this song). I initially thought it was silly, because the song is a novelty song and was written in about 5 minutes, however over time I've come to appreciate that the song has become bigger than me, and is a school yard chant in my home town, probably one that will last a long time.

So yes, that's a little story from the book of Alan.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #54
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

^ i think i've heard that story before. man, i would love to be able to pull that off in NYC...

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #55
Hydra150
not so cowardly

^^ , I can't make out many of the words in that song, but that's cool because if I shouted about Glesga you wouldn't have a clue what I was saying either.
Quote:
^ i think i've heard that story before. man, i would love to be able to pull that off in NYC...

Shame NYC has a population slightly over 2,236...
Quote:
Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #56
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
you're funny.

agreed. where did anyone say anything about 100%?

Holy shit, I totally read the post you quoted as "Write a song everyone can enjoy."

The other way makes way more sense.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #57
B&J

Being able to play whats in my head, and improvise on it in the best way possible to create even better songs
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #58
Hydra150
not so cowardly

I guess my goal is to be in a band playing songs people like, having fun doing it and getting paid, and to do this a few times a month preferably. It's hardly unrealistic, but I'm dot doing anything currently to realise this goal.
Quote:
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #59
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Just to add a bit more;

It's great to have goals, but it's another thing to take steps to accomplish them. I'm already doing session stuff on the side, and had a really great unpracticed gig last night which will hopefully lead to more referrals.

But the only way I got to this point is by seeking out opportunities, and taking nearly everything that was offered to me.

It personally astounds me that there are so many musicians out there who will say "I want to be the greatest guitarist alive, playing stadiums etc", but if you ask them whether they'd play with Justin Bieber, they'd go nooooooooo he's gay.

So here's a part of the Justin Bieber show:

And that is great. And it looks like a crapload of fun.

So the guys then say "yeah, well I guess if I was offered to do that, I might do that".

But the issue is that they'd never get offered to do that. When they were in x cover band back in smalltown they refused to learn certain songs because they were too "gay" or easy. Somebody else learnt them, and started backing small pop artists around the place, and now they're playing Madison Square Garden whilst Mr "it's too gay" is still back home complaining about the guys on TV.

So I guess that's a bit of a rant, but my main point is that the main thing that holds musicians back is a self-wanking attitude, and inability to learn songs that they wouldn't listen to otherwise.

And I guess that's why I get a lot of work, I'm known as someone who takes songs no questions asked, and learns the crap out of them. It's not even relevant to me whether I like the song or not, I just take it apart and learn it. And then when I do get the odd semi-famous dude whom I'm meeting on the night, they love it, because that's how the song goes and they can perform better, whilst also being surprised that I know the parts (of course along with my awesome hand-picked band mates).

Then the question comes "how could I enjoy it?", well playing with other people is fun. You learn to derive joy simply from executing a song perfectly rather than the content of the song. Sometimes I do have an actual dislike for the material (Wolfmother immediately comes to mind), but that just forces me to sit down with it longer, a personal guitar challenge.

I have to tie this back into the thread somehow.

I encourage all of you to make a goal of learning to derive joy from the act of playing, rather than your personal preference to a song. Pick a really annoying song from the Top 40 and learn it. Play with it enough times to get over the whole shock of "I'm playing x artist" and think of it simply as another song. I think you'll find yourself enjoying playing with the song as a result.

Accomplishing this goal a big step forward for a musician, and absolutely essential if you want to work as a professional musician in the future, part time or full time.

Of course another argument is whether you refuse to do any jobs that you dislike at your other job"

Work at Maccas and refuse to make a McChicken because Big Macs are better? Refused to sell the gluten free stuff at you checkout supermarket job because it tastes like crap?
Or maybe even refused to do the filing that your boss asked you do to because it's just not your style?

What happens if you do this, you get fired (or not hired if they get clued on in the interview). So why would you do this in a band, if you're claiming to be professional?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #60
amonamarthmetal

If I had the opportunity to tour with bieber id take it. Then on the last tour date id smash all the instruments and take my guitar and smash it over bieber's head

Rate This Thread: