Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Carl21221

Unhappy Broken Guitar Nut

First of all, I hope this is in the right sub-forum! I couldn't make my mind up whether it should be in the electric guitar forum or not.

But anyway:

I was doing a pretty big gig last night and during soundcheck I stupidly leaned my guitar against my amp while I was setting my pedalboard up. Someone must have caught the guitar with their feet or something and my poor guitar feel flat on its face.

I picked it up and realised that there was no damage anywhere else except for the nut. The corner of the nut broke off so the low E string is bare at once side. Luckily the low E was JUST held in by a little point in the broken nut so I could play the gig!

I was just wondering what the best way to repair this is. Would it be feasible to use some sort of superglue to stick the broken bit of nut back onto the the nut or would it be better to get a luthier to replace the nut completely (maybe with the better quality one)?

For the record, my guitar is an Ibanez SZR520

Thanks for any suggestions
Roland Cube 30X
Carl21221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
mr7string

Get yourself some high quality super glue and try to stick it down, give it a couple of days to cure and make sure you DO NOT get any in the actual string grooves, it will play havoc with your sustain/ action.

If it works then great but if not then just take it to a local guitar luthier and have a new one crafted/ fitted. May be a little pricey depending on where you go but you'll find having a custom nut set up for how you like the guitar to play will help a lot.

Saying that im going to stick with the glue, considering how strong most glues are i dont see why it wouldnt work but try that before forking out a small fortune on a new nut haha
mr7string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Carl21221

Will any super-glue work? or does it have to be for a special surface/material?
Roland Cube 30X
Carl21221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
boblittle
meh

whats the nut made if?
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
boblittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Punisher23j

Any super glue should work. You can also pickup a new nut at Guitar Center or whatever less shitty music store is in your area. They aren't too expensive.
Punisher23j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
DomPitch33794

just go to a guitar repair shop and it takes like 30 sec and its fixed. it happened to me too
DomPitch33794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
theHAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl21221
I was just wondering what the best way to repair this is. Would it be feasible to use some sort of superglue to stick the broken bit of nut back onto the the nut or would it be better to get a luthier to replace the nut completely (maybe with the better quality one)?

Don't pay! I put together a video that I think you guys will really like. I hope that it saves a lot of people money. Let me know what you think and I can add to it to make it even better.

(link removed)
theHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: