Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Hollowbody Tele or PRS??? Help!!!

Hey guys.

I'm GASing again. I can't help it.

I love Teles. They are my favourite shape of guitar and I love the twang. My MIA Tele is untouched and I only might put some twang pickups in it to enhance the twang as opposed to change it, but I've never changed anything about my MiM. I rarely play my MIA Tele and stupidly keep it in its case, its so nice and I have lots of other guitars so I just want to keep it nice.

I'm learning more about modes and jazz and when I start getting heavily into a style of music I like to buy a new guitar that compliments it, also this helps me stay somewhat motivated through the dark days of theory and boring scale practice.

I don't know a lot about hollow bodies but I hear that they are good for jazz because of the warm tones.

I'm not really into the bigger type hollow bodies of the Epiphones, Rickenbackers, Epiphones, I really only like the Tele hollow body.

I am looking at two Teles, but mainly at one.

One is this one.

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-m...ransparent.html

It is a cheaper version that I expect is Mexican made. I'm unsure of it as its so cheap. I already have a MiM and a MIA so I really don't want to downgrade massively.

The main choice is this one.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...ter-Crimson/ASY

Because of the P90s I'm guessing this beast is a lot more useful for pop punk/rock. But whatever, I don't care. It looks so nice that I might have to get it just because its so pretty. Plus its a definite upgrade to my MiM and gives me some versatility. Also, with effects and amp settings you can get decent tone from most guitars for most styles. But does anyone have an opinion on it in general? Is it something to record with or is it a good workhorse kinda guitar? I'm concerned about the quality overall of itwhen comparing it to my MIA, which I'll probably start playing more soon.

But then I'm tempted by some PRS. I'm looking to spend £500-£600 and would ideally like it to be on par with my Gibson and Strat. Any PRS suggestions? I generally like to upgrade or to have something as good quality for the purpose I'm going to use it for. Which worries me about the Adkins as I already have a couple of Teles, but the colour, the P90s...

One thing I should add is that I had to change the neck on my MIA Strat from Rosewood to Maple as I couldn't get on with the Rosewood neck. The open pores on the neck just led me to feel my finger grate against the fretboard too much. The higher frets on the Gibson and the tight grain means I don't have that issue at all with them. I see that the Tele is Rosewood, which worries me, I might not be able to try it before I buy as my local stores don't have one :/ But I'll probably go and have a feel of some other Rosewood Fenders, the guys in the store were very good but didn't find too much wrong with my Strat so it could just be me lol.

It might seem weird but it was like nails on a chalkboard to me. I really tried but just couldn't get on with it. I believe the PRS RW necks are more like Gibsons, higher frets and tighter grain. I will be able to play some at my local stores.

tl;dr Jim Adkins Tele, thoughts? PRS for Jazz around £500-£600?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 11-15-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

Honestly, you don't need a hollow or semi-hollow to get a nice jazz tone. The likes of Adrian Ingram, for example, is one who uses a tele. I'd suggest you just mess around with your current gear and see if you can come up with a certain tone that you consider "jazzy" - which can honestly be anything...from Joe Pass on the cleans to John Scofield's slight-overdrive. I've watched people play jazz on what I would consider "heavy-metal guitars".
What I've done with my Les Paul copy is roll back the bass a bit so it's not too muddy, boost the treble higher than the bass where you like it, put the mids where you like them (but not too high) and roll back the vols on your guitar, switch to the neck pickup and yay! Jazz tones! But I'm not sure that'll work for a single-coil tele, I'm more of a humbucker guy. And my EQing has got so much simpler with the purchase of my AC15.

But if you like the sound of a hollowbody - then that's another story. Don't discriminate the
P-90s to being punk/rock, some of what could be considered the most iconic jazz guitars has
P-90s. If you like semis and PRSs then the SE Semi-hollow would probs be right down your alley if you're not looking to sell your bodily organs. Otherwise I really like the look of the JA-15
It's really nice to GAS, but judging by your current gear in your sig, I think you already have the potential to achieve some really rad jazz/blues tones with your teles and super 60.
UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

There's a dude here at my school (The University of the Arts) who uses a Jackson Rhoads for jazz. Dude's awesome.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

So I'm still GASing. I'm not too sure about the tele. I think that it wouldn't be an upgrade to what I have.

I would probably have to go for a USA thinline and I'm not too sure if I actually could explain another tele to my girlfriend.

So I'm looking at PRS and I don't think that these guitars are an upgrade until I get into the £1300+ range. Perhaps the semi acoustic PRS SE is something to look at but I don't think it's an upgrade although it is different to what I have so it would be utilised differently. I may have to look at the thinlines in the future though.

I'm looking at Charvel, PRS, Schecter. I'd like a HSH or HH setup. Suitable for blues, jazzy stuff and rock and is an upgrade to what I have. I love my guitars but I'm always on the lookout to improve my stuff.

My budget is around £1000 - £1300 I don't mind looking used. I'm in the UK.

I don't need another guitar but I've had a shitty year. Deaths in the family, illness and I'm off work due to some disc herniations and I want to give myself an upgrade to my current gear as a gift to myself to cheer me up. Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on my Fender Super 60? I love it although the clean channel isn't super loud. What would be considered an upgrade to that? The cleans are amazing but when I use any of the amps reverb it hums. I think it's just old, the tubes have been changed recently.

Thanks again!

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

With that kind of budget, you might want to consider a Stevens UK custom "Tele", which start around £1000. He does do thinline hollowbodies- his T-Hollow uses Bareknuckles, FWIW.

http://www.stevenscustomguitars.co.uk/index.html

I don't know for sure, but I believe the Patrick Eggle Vienna is also in your price range.

http://www.patrickeggleguitars.com/vienna.html

MJ Guitars has the Duke DeVille Special. Normally, it would be just outside of your price range at @£1500, but they have one on sale right now for @£1200.

http://mjguitars.com/

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-02-2012 at 06:38 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

They do look nice. I wouldn't import from the states due to the cost, but it's something to look at.

I'm also considering upgrading my LP studio to a Traditional.

Any thoughts on the Super 60?

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
They do look nice. I wouldn't import from the states due to the cost, but it's something to look at.

Well, that still leaves you the Stevens or the Eggle to contemplate.

I don't know much about amps, though I did find this article: http://m.premierguitar.com/Magazine...r_Super_60.aspx

Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Hey, thanks. I'll look into that.

I'll have a closer look at those guitar companies. They seem like top quality guitars.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz

I just found both brands this year. Patrick Eggle seems to have a stellar rep, and I just missed an opportunity to buy one. I haven't seen any Stevens UK, but I get the impression its a one-man shop. I've dealt with 2 guys like that over here in the US, and have not been disappointed.

Rate This Thread: