Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
PotatoJunior

Ringing guitar notes and duration

If I play an open B string quarter note on one string, and then I play open D string quarter note, do I mute the B string before playing the open D string if the open B string is a quarter note and the open D string is another quarter note in a 4/4 time signature?

Some times it gets really complicated, and its hard to stop a string from ringing if I am to play the next note. Anyone have tips on this?

I have been trying to stop ringing strings when it reaches the end of the note, e.g. after the string rings for its time duration, I would stop the string with my left hand and sometimes my right. I am wondering if I am doing this right.

Last edited by PotatoJunior : 11-15-2012 at 07:50 PM.
PotatoJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

It depends on the piece. Music written for guitar often has this taken into consideration and assumes that stuff like that will ring out. It can also be left to the discretion of the player.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
I stop ringing notes with my right hand by palm muting. The reason is 2 fold 1. Distorted it can cause a natural harmonic and unless I want a harmonic I'll mute with my pick hand because..... 2. Palm muting allows you to control the amount and way the mute occurs.
I say mix it up and try both individually and together to hear what the different sounds are. Learn to use both hands to mute and you can get really quick gated type mutes.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

Typically the way I play is "as is" meaning that, how its written its how I play. No B note under the D? No ring.

But, I've also been known to add my own embellishments to pieces, which is also perfectly acceptable in practice. Or so says Bach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
Guitarra_acores

Depends entirely on your interpretation of the song. As long as your ears are developed and you are aware of what you want to do, both options are valid.
Guitarra_acores is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: