Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #21
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Tube amps use vacuum tubes as opposed to digital circuitry *insert technical jargon here* to amplify sound. They sound better in many cases although tone is up to the ear of the beholder (completely subjective).

as a general term, analog usual means with tubes and solid state means digital.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #22
Dick Foster

A tube or valve amp as some call it is an amp that uses obsolete Fleming Valve technology to achieve gain.

Tubes kinda fade from use and their performance degrades over time but solid state stuff typically continues to go strong until it just goes tits up altogether, typically caused by some external force or poor heat management maybe. Picture the Energizer Bunny here.

Tubes also take most of the input power and converts it into waste heat which then bakes the life out of every other electronic component around it. For electronic stuff, heat is a bad thing and is the boogeyman in the closet. The less of it there is, the better off you'll be.

Tubes however are rad hard so your amp would still work, so long as it's all tubes, in case all out thermonuclear war were to break out. In that case all those solid state folks (me included) would be SOL as for all practical purposes all their transistors would all be reduced to little chunks of worthless sand. But then the power grid would be long gone too so who cares.

So now you know.

What's wrong with it exactly, noisy pots or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormwoode
What exactly is a tube amp? o.o

And no I don't hate my current amp, but it's old and dying.
Dick Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #23
Dick Foster

Actually that is somewhat incorrect but close.

The digital part is typically only used for FX or fiddling around with the sound.

First the analog signal from the guitar is buffered and converted into digital, then the digital signal (much like the the signal in your iPod etc.) is applied to one or more DSPs (Digital Signal Processors think microprocessors made for sound) for the FX and fiddling around in other ways such as tone and EQ, then the output from that is converted back into analog where it is then amplified with an analog power amp which is made with either bipolar transistors or FETs (field effect transistors) or both to drive the loud speaker.

That is the typical arrangement.

Sometimes there are tone controls done is analog too or they will do some stuff in analog before the power amp. I all depends on the makers and how they like to do things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Tube amps use vacuum tubes as opposed to digital circuitry *insert technical jargon here* to amplify sound. They sound better in many cases although tone is up to the ear of the beholder (completely subjective).

as a general term, analog usual means with tubes and solid state means digital.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
Dick Foster

I just took a look at the schematic and I didn't see that there was much to go wrong with it.

The power amp is a single IC but it's rated at 32W continuous/50Watts music power.
The rest of the amp is made with analog ICs too.

While it's no great shakes for power output, it should be fine unless you put a dead short on the output but you can still get those for pretty cheap. It will either be working or stone dead, there is nothing to wear out here.

If it's only noisy pots and such, a spray can of electronic contact cleaner would likely put it right again. You could even replace the really bad ones for cheap as they are pretty standard and common stuff that can be gotten from DigiKey and the like. Someone could go though it for cheap and make it like new again.

Is a matter of the amp wearing out or did it simply ugly out on ya and you're just bone tired of it now?

At least clean it up, sell it and put the money toward a new amp. Someone out there or in here needs an amp for cheap. Or else clean it up and keep it as a backup.
While it's not a great or expensive and feature laden amp, it looks to be a solid amp that should be if nothing else at least reliable.

Here's a link to the schematic if you need it or you have a techie type friend to go though it for ya.

http://support.fender.com/schematic...R_schematic.pdf

Quote:
What exactly is a tube amp? o.o

And no I don't hate my current amp, but it's old and dying.

Last edited by Dick Foster : 11-18-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Wow dude. Chill.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #26
Wormwoode

Oh...I thought it was the shape

Thanks people.
Wormwoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #27
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Wow dude. Chill.

holy shit, this times 1000. watch out cath.

tubes are better
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
Dick Foster

Oh really, and just how would you know that tubes are better since apparently you have exactly ZERO technical background to run with? Please elaborate.
I suppose next you'll be dishing out financial advice.

Is this something you do to compensate?

This sould be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
holy shit, this times 1000. watch out cath.

tubes are better
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #29
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
Oh really, and just how would you know that tubes are better since apparently you have exactly ZERO technical background to run with? Please elaborate.
I suppose next you'll be dishing out financial advice.

Is this something you do to compensate?

This sould be interesting.

After careful perusal of this thread and rational consideration of all the variables, it is my considered opinion that you haven't the foggiest ****ing idea what you're talking about.

Have a nice day.

Elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
Dick Foster

There are a hell of a lot of trolls in here aren't there?

I suppose it's all of those completely empty left brains that accounts for it.

Exactly what have you added lately, troll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
After careful perusal of this thread and rational consideration of all the variables, it is my considered opinion that you haven't the foggiest ****ing idea what you're talking about.

Have a nice day.

Elsewhere.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
There are a hell of a lot of trolls in here aren't there?

I suppose it's all of those completely empty left brains that accounts for it.

Exactly what have you added lately, troll?

Feel free to check my 3,000+ postings. Some are useful, some not so much. The real troll here would seem to be you?

But for the sake of argument, which of your 37 posts do you feel contributed the most to the forum?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #32
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Feel free to check my 3,000+ postings. Some are useful, some not so much. The real troll here would seem to be you?

But for the sake of argument, which of your 37 posts do you feel contributed the most to the forum?

Why even bother? Guy clearly has an agenda and his mind made up. He hates tubes as they get hot and cook hotdogs that are placed to close to the amp.

Maybe he had a bad experience with a "mean" tube amp when he was a kid and it scared him for life.

Anyway tubes do get warm but a properly designed amp accounts for the heat. No biggie...
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #33
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Man we always get these random grumpy old guys with years of anecdotal experience, who in a lot of ways could be assets to the community, but they get hung up on one silly thing that is anecdotally true but not technically true... Then they burn up in a blaze of glory and call us all trolls. It's a sad turn of events, that we see all too often.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #34
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

you know transistors get hotter then tubes.

they just stop working when they get warm.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #35
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Hello

I've been using a Fender Frontman 15g for years because I'm poor like that, but really its dying and it sucks more than rebecca black. I dont really know much about amps so I thought I'd post here.

My answers to the sticky "questionnaire":

Budget? -
~300 $

Genres? - I like playing a bunch of different things, from irish folk music to death metal, so something polyvalent would be great. However I like punk rock and power metal a lot.

New or Used? - New because I tend to keep my stuff for 10 years

Home or Gig? - Home

Closest City? - Montreal

Current Gear? - My guitar is a fender strat squier affinity (pretty long name i know o_O) I dont have any pedals

Thanks!

Summary: I like when there is a great variety of tones, so not lets say something awesome for metal but terrible for everything else. I searched on google and found "peavey vypyr 30" it looks great but like I said I dont really know much. Thanks again

since you are just playing at home i'd check out a fender "super champ XD" as well as the vypyrs and other amps you may be considering.

very versatile amps that sound good and are very easy for beginners to get used to.

good luck.

edit: if you have had any personal experience with this Rebecca Black for comparison to your frontman, hats off to you brother!

Last edited by gregs1020 : 11-19-2012 at 02:26 PM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I absolutely love Super Champ XDs.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #37
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Actually that is somewhat incorrect but close.

The digital part is typically only used for FX or fiddling around with the sound.

First the analog signal from the guitar is buffered and converted into digital, then the digital signal (much like the the signal in your iPod etc.) is applied to one or more DSPs (Digital Signal Processors think microprocessors made for sound) for the FX and fiddling around in other ways such as tone and EQ, then the output from that is converted back into analog where it is then amplified with an analog power amp which is made with either bipolar transistors or FETs (field effect transistors) or both to drive the loud speaker.

That is the typical arrangement.

Sometimes there are tone controls done is analog too or they will do some stuff in analog before the power amp. I all depends on the makers and how they like to do things.

+1

this part is pretty dead on. it's a bit dense, but dead on.

i think it just looks like you're trying really hard in a 'what amp' thread. it's bugging people a bit.

these long term guys are not trolls, we have just been around to see what advice is usually needed where. most of these "i am a guy who doesn't need to know much more than what is the next amp i should get" usually don't need a bunch of technical advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
since you are just playing at home i'd check out a fender "super champ XD" as well as the vypyrs and other amps you may be considering.

very versatile amps that sound good and are very easy for beginners to get used to.

good luck.

edit: if you have had any personal experience with this Rebecca Black for comparison to your frontman, hats off to you brother!

i like the vypyr idea. i have been meaning to try out a super champ XD but they are discontinued right?

i will also say i use free software when i am on the road. just plug the guitar into the computer and play out my computer speakers. it is an option anyway.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #38
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Yeah, the SuperChamp is a cool amp. I might even prefer over the Vypyr for lower gain stuff. It won't do Death Metal though or anything really over Hard Rock.

Quote:
I didn't see where he said he hated it, he said it was dying. I don't look up all the amps, I simply assumed that since it was old it was a tube unit.

This is where your credibility went South.

Also, I used to own a Fender Frontman 212DSP. Getting into the chassis looked all but impossible to me. Cleaning pots really would not have done much.

TS - I wanted to thank you for creating a great 'What Amp' OP. I wish more people would do this. It is succinct and to the point. For the range of stuff you are looking for I really think the Vypyr is the way to go. Like I said, you can find Vypyr 60's (they are the ones with a tube power section) in the $250 - $350 range. If you could find a used Line 6 Flextone II - that might be worth looking into as well - but I have never played one.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #39
Dick Foster

While you seem intent on expressing opinions qualified or other wise I was trying to actually help the guy. Instead of using it an an opportunity to open my mouth and spew garbage.

Opinions are much like butt holes, everybody has one and they all stink and you can't make up for crappy quality by pumping it out in higher volume.

Just a couple of thoughts for you to ponder. That last bit applies especially to music.

Quote:

Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #40
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
While you seem intent on expressing opinions qualified or other wise I was trying to actually help the guy. Instead of using it an an opportunity to open my mouth and spew garbage.

Opinions are much like butt holes, everybody has one and they all stink and you can't make up for crappy quality by pumping it out in higher volume.

Just a couple of thoughts for you to ponder. That last bit applies especially to music.

And the value in this post was....?

I make no claims in regard to qualifications, since everybody on the internet is an 'expert'.

I'm perfectly happy to let the readers determine if my input has value or not.

Now do you want to continue this digital pissing contest or would you rather step back, take a deep breath and continue forward as an adult?

I'm fine either way...

Rate This Thread: