User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #41
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
I pirate lots of music and buy lots of physical copies. I enjoy finding and having the physical copies there, I'm pretty sure I've described that aspect in length on here before.

Downloading lots of music is pretty obviously great. The commodification of art is lame so I don't really care.

I agree with this part, but...what about small-time artists? Do you also pirate their music?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #42
DonGlover
UG's Tom Servo

I don't have the spare income to buy a lot, and honestly, a majority of what I listen to can't be found at any local stores. So I'm forced to either pay more online, or just download it and expect to pay for it eventually when I can. I like having vinyl and CDs, it's just not very affordable on minimum wage and part-time, on top of rent and groceries. So I basically have an "IOU" system for downloading.

Yes

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DonGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #43
Thrashtastic15
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I agree with this part, but...what about small-time artists? Do you also pirate their music?

Do you even understand the implications of what you apparently agree with? You clearly don't.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #44
Spaztikko

I pay for music, because of my tastes I can get them cheaper than iTunes or wherever else digitally.

Real music shops are like the steam of games for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #45
iam19feettall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
I prefer CDs over downloads, paid or pirated. I like the artwork and the notes and stuff inside

This. Every time.

Ibanez TS9
Boss Volume Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss DS-1

Fender Blues Junior
Crate 15w
iam19feettall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #46
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
Do you even understand the implications of what you apparently agree with? You clearly don't.

Actually, I do. I also recognize the reality that, until EVERY musician stops selling their music, we'll have to pay for it. (I've been saying for quite awhile now that I'd like all music to be free. However, I've compromised to saying that artists/record companies should no longer get royalties for their music after 5 years. I recognize that music is most artist's living. Without people buying their music, most small-time artists would go broke.) I'm simply asking whether you're willing to let small-time musicians suffer because you don't believe that music should be a commodity.

So, stop acting like such a fuckstick already, Thrash.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #47
Rojam

I've started buying recently because I was tired of low quality downloads. I've only bought a few songs, but I'm getting there.

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Rojam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #48
Thrashtastic15
Golden

I made myself perfectly clear. I don't believe music is a commodity and don't believe that I have an obligation to support that. I still do in many cases when I want to, but I don't feel an obligation to and moreso than ever I don't have to thanks to the progression of technology. If I was more of an idealistic person I wouldn't pay for any music on principle, but in fact I pay for quite a bit. Regardless, rarely ever is my rationale behind that feeding some poor starving artist. It's because they have offered me a product or service that I deem valuable to me and worth my assets that they are requesting in exchange. You some kinda commie?

You said you agree with my statement, but then posted something that contradicts the statement you supposedly agreed with. Pointing that out and having a general confused sentiment regarding that isn't necessarily being a "fuckstick", if anybody is being one it'd be you in this circumstance.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #49
ecvMatt
clamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese_boy
I'd rather pay for water than music, and I'll never pay for water.

So I guess you'll use public restrooms and outhouses and bathe in the fountain then?

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
ecvMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #50
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

good. thank you, TS. sincerely.
primusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #51
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Say goodbye to all your money, OP. It'll be worth it.

Anyways, I used to have something like 40 gigs of pirated music. Then once I had the spare money, I started buying from my favorite bands. Then it got addicting so I wanted to buy everything from every band I listened to. Then I decided to delete any music from my computer that I wouldn't be willing to pay for, and surprise surprise, I don't even listen to that music on Youtube anymore. My collection is up to somewhere around 160 cds now, and I have maybe 5-10 albums on my computer I haven't gotten around to buying yet.
Atlas' Burden (Instrumental)
And for those who really enjoyed that and want to hear other random songs unrelated to that album...
Other music
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #52
GuitarQ33r0
Deathcore Messiah

If I quit pirating music now I can't keep my language on facebook as pirate.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #53
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I used exclusively buy CD's, then I got uTorrent. Then I was all download. Now I usually only download what I can't find at my local record store (which is pretty extensive).

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 AM   #54
Cardbored

I'd buy CDs if they sold anything I liked where I live.
Cardbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #55
NordicThrasher
Something Wild

First album I'm buying, ever, is going to by Time I from Wintersun. Probably Children Of Bodom's next album, too.
Respect both bands too much at this point to get it for free, especially from what Jari went through making Time I.
NordicThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #56
Wolfmanxci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
I prefer CDs over downloads, paid or pirated. I like the artwork and the notes and stuff inside

I agree, it might be rack up the spending in the long run, but nothing beats putting the CD on and reading through the booklet whilst it plays.
Wolfmanxci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #57
Jyrgen
Used Register

No excuses for stealing IMHO... for example Spotify is 5 a month and much more convenient than piracy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #58
spitonastranger
Kinski Assassin

Most of the people who buy music here do it because they want to be rockstars and get scared when they see traditional revenue streams drying up.

I have Spotify. It's legal but still screws over the artist because fuck the artist!
spitonastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #59
Jyrgen
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitonastranger
Most of the people who buy music here do it because they want to be rockstars and get scared when they see traditional revenue streams drying up.

I have Spotify. It's legal but still screws over the artist because fuck the artist!

I think it's more to do with people thinking that because music is not meant to be free, it's also wrong to get it for free.

Of course buying the actual CD is the best for the artist, but Spotify is the least one can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #60
metacarpi
The GTs new Grundy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen
I think it's more to do with people thinking that because music is not meant to be free, it's also wrong to get it for free.

Of course buying the actual CD is the best for the artist, but Spotify is the least one can do.

I think it's more that I enjoy music, and respect the time and effort that the artists put into making their music - that work deserves financial renumeration if I consume their product.

The argument that "Music is art, and art should be free" holds no water with me - it only ever comes across as "I want something, and I don't want to pay for it".

I may be a tiny chimney sweep, but I've got a great big brush
metacarpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: