Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
shortyafter

Drinking/Smoking lost my voice

I'm a 21 year old college student, been drinking/smoking regularly for like 3 years now but kinda turned up the heat recently. Halloween I got pretty drunk, my friends and I were a mariachi band, I burnt the hell out of my vocal chords screaming La Bamba (it was fun!) Had band practice a few days later and strained em more. Been smoking/drinking decently heavily since then. My range has never come back since Halloween. I literally can't hit a falsetto, like my throat just cracks up and no sound comes out.

So any tips? Is it gonna come back? It's gotten a lot better - like from not being able to talk hardly to being able to sing pretty normally. Still can't hit the falsetto at all though. Must I quit my bad habits all together? Any advice is appreciated.
shortyafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Usernames sucks

Does drinking really affect your vocal chords?
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
shortyafter

Seems to. With a 100% certainty the day after - my voice is always shot. Not sure about the long-term impact but smoking definitely takes care of that.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Don't drink and smoke as much? That much seems obvious. Lemon juice is also a good short term cure for voice problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
HotspurJr

Learn how to warm up and cool down your voice.

Stop smoking.

The issue - I think - with drinking is that drinking is an analgesic and messes with your coordination. The problem is that you sing sloppy (forcing too much air) and don't notice that you're hurting yourself.

The only real cure is rest. Stop singing. Cold turkey. Give it two weeks. Then see where you are.

Think of it as a strained muscle. Every pulled a hamstring? You can't just go on playing soccer the same way you did before and expect it to get better.

I would go a couple of weeks without singing after a day or two without talking at all.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernames sucks

Yes. It makes them relaxed, because your brain is relaxed. Vibrato and pitch is harder to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
shortyafter

I like the muscle analogy. Guess I'm just gonna nurse it for the next couple weeks. Wish the stop smoking thing was so easy but at least this is a good reason to cut back/hopefully quit. Thanks for the help guys. I really want it back! Haha
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Sethis

Habits like this one will definitely have an impact on your voice. Whether it will be good or bad is uncertain and depends on your personal preference. Some people might even like it. But if you want your voice to remain in pristine condition I would definitely avoid heavy smoking/drinking. Give your voice some weeks to heal first and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernames sucks

It dries them out. You don't want that.

Last edited by Sethis : 11-16-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
shortyafter

So last night I got drunk and sang like 5 songs with an 80s cover band while smoking cigs on stage. Singing We're Not Gonna Take It probably wasnt the best idea ever. So much for rest, rock n roll dudes!!! Hahaha oh man..

Last edited by shortyafter : 11-17-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
merriman44

Lol, in a couple of months you'll be posting something like this on the forums:

"MY VOICE IS COMPLETELY GONE OHHH NOOOOEEESSS!"

Seriously though, best of luck mate. You will probably trash your voice if you keep doing this sort of thing but the vocal folds are pretty resilient. It's kind of just a roll of the dice when they are going to give out when you chronically abuse them without any sort of real relief.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
Tyson2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Yes. It makes them relaxed, because your brain is relaxed. Vibrato and pitch is harder to maintain.

they should be relaxed. vibrato isn't something that should be forced, its a result of proper technique.

smoking doesn't have nearly the effect on one's voice as its lead to believe..enrico caruso was a heavy smoker

alcohol dehydrates your vocal chords, dry chords don't move well.

rest and proper hydration are going to be the only things that will help you out. smoking also dries out the cords, but as long as you stay hydrated you should be fine. take a few days off, try not to talk much, but if you have to speak quietly (not whispering, this is worse for your voice than normal speech)

hope I helped!
Tyson2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: