Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Tiagix

Question ZOOM g2.1nu or BOSS ME-25?

ZOOM g2.1nu or BOSS ME-25?

I need help on choosing 1 of the 2 pedals boards, and im very confused!

I already saw the ZOOM g2.1nu review and i love it. So many effects and all kind of things, and you can download patchs to ur guitar sound like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Metallica etc etc songs. I loved the quality.
BUT...
I friend of mine, told me BOSS is one of the best brands of pedals and zoom sucks.
The 2 pedals are similar... on quality, effects... ZOOM costs 148 and BOSS 179 but i think zoom is more "open" with the patches, dunno, thats what i think...

Btw... i will not use the pedal with a amp, cuz my amp is a Fender frontman 15w. I play my guitar with Guitar Rig, so i will connect the pedal on USB interface to record my playings and using zoom effects and patches... (i will not use guitar rig ofc)

I need ur opinion, please dont say ZOOM or BOSS, just because you like the brand, i really need to know which the best for me to record on computer and to play
And yes i want a pedal board instead of a record device like M-audio, line-6 etc.

REVIEWS and DEMOS:

ZOOM G2.1nu

BOSS ME-25

Thanks for you help

Last edited by Tiagix : 11-17-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Tiagix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Perverockstar69

I like the Zoom, distortions are way better than Boss's... Once I used one of those Zooms in front of my LC15 for a great gig at a party, then the LC15 in the FX Loop of a Peavey Bass amp. My tone was the best one over that party, I actually liked it a lot for what it is.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Tiagix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
I like the Zoom, distortions are way better than Boss's... Once I used one of those Zooms in front of my LC15 for a great gig at a party, then the LC15 in the FX Loop of a Peavey Bass amp. My tone was the best one over that party, I actually liked it a lot for what it is.

mmm thnks, i like the review of the pedal, nice tone
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Perverockstar69

Try it first though, it's not the same watching/hearing/reading a review that actually playing the thing.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

What I like about the Boss is the 38 sec looper and the Freeze effect.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
Try it first though, it's not the same watching/hearing/reading a review that actually playing the thing.

This is the most important part.

My preference would be the Boss - I had an ME50 for several years & it always served me well through loads of gigs.

The main reason I'd prefer it is because it's one of the few which focuses on simply being a few separate stompboxes without having to worry about editing patches & choosing amp sims etc. Nice & simple.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

The ME25 doesn't do the stompbox thing like the ME50. The ME25's big drawback is a lack of footswitches, but I think the Zoom has the same issue.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Talon64

The boss unit has a half a sec lag when changing patches which would be an issue if you used it for live purposes where as the zoom unit has a .7 millisecond lag but isn't noticeable.... something that the boss users fail to advise when recommending the ME series, i prefer the drives in the zoom and with a bit of tweeking can sound quite organic. Be aware the zoom has a learning curve which will require you to sit down with the manual and learn how to program it..... the choice is yours but i'd go for the ZOOM..!
Talon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Tiagix

Thank u for all ur opinions... anyway i guess i will go to ZOOM pedal
Thank u all
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
The ME25 doesn't do the stompbox thing like the ME50. The ME25's big drawback is a lack of footswitches, but I think the Zoom has the same issue.

Haven't tried it, but from reading the basic specs the ME25 does still work that way - or at least, Boss describe them as having "stompbox simplicity" like they did with the 50...I guess it doesn't mean it's true! It was more the 70 I considered when I upgraded so I only had a quick look at the 25.

Last edited by GaryBillington : 11-17-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos

A friend of mine has the Zoom. He wishes he'd never bought it. He's never had any luck getting good distortions out of it for his playing style. The other effects aren't bad. He's also found that it doesn't like to play well with certain amps he has, mainly Fender, in front or through the effects loop. He gets a lot of feedback. Marshall and Blackstar amps seem to handle it fine. Regardless of that he can only get it to sound good through headphones anyway. It sounds completely different through an amp. He has also had quite a few issues with recording. It does work, but he has to disable almost everything on his computer, which is fairly new and powerful, to avoid lag issue and clicking. Wireless really kills it. The free Cubase software it comes with is also constantly having lockups which no amount of updating and reinstalling can seem to fix.

I've used the old 505 and 510 pedals with no issues in the past. They don't sound the best but they aren't bad at all. I have nothing against Zoom. I just haven't seen where the G2.1Nu has been very good.
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall 6100LM Head with Slash Signature 4x12 half stack.
http://gideond.wordpress.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Fourfourforever

he never got good sounds out of the zoom from a guitar amp because its not a full range flat response type of amp what happens is the amp colors the effects the zoom is pumping out through the guitar amp so u get this shitty tone
Fourfourforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Haven't tried it, but from reading the basic specs the ME25 does still work that way - or at least, Boss describe them as having "stompbox simplicity" like they did with the 50...I guess it doesn't mean it's true! It was more the 70 I considered when I upgraded so I only had a quick look at the 25.
Definitely not stompbox like in any way. It has 3 switches. Two are preset up and down, and the third does double duty as a boost or looper control. It's unfortunate that they don't allow at least assignment to the boost f/s.

The looper works very well with a single switch. The freeze effect uses the expression pedal very well too. I wish that EHX could implement the same expression control on their freeze FX.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

In that case, it's not a 'real' ME series - and not how they describe it either!

Can't help noticing nobodies questions TS's statement about wanting an effects unit to record with rather than getting a proper interface. Is there a reason for that?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Can't help noticing nobodies questions TS's statement about wanting an effects unit to record with rather than getting a proper interface. Is there a reason for that?
Because the USB connection is a proper audio interface for the multifx.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #16
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

However, he could probably get a decent interface for less than one of those multifx units and he'd be able to use all sorts of free plugins/VSTs etc which would probably give him even more options than what he's considering.

IDK, just asking the question to see where it leads - maybe he's thought about it & ruled that out already, maybe he just hadn't looked into that option yet
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #17
chatterbox272

Quote:
In that case, it's not a 'real' ME series - and not how they describe it either!

My guess would be they are making the assumption that although TS does say record, s/he really means play guitar through the computer speakers. S/He says s/he plays through guitar rig normally (how I don't know, maybe already has an interface? that could explain it) and just wants to use computer speakers with the multi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
Because the USB connection is a proper audio interface for the multifx.

Proper interface like the one on a vypyr . Just because it's capable of doing it doesn't mean it's any good at it.

TS, whatever you end up doing I would recommend you try using ASIO4ALL drivers over the ones that come with the device. Every multi I've seen has had crappy drivers, but works way better (and with less latency) with ASIO4ALL. Also, do you mind telling us how you are connecting to guitar rig at the moment?
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #18
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Proper interface like the one on a vypyr . Just because it's capable of doing it doesn't mean it's any good at it.

...and that's why I asked the question

The way I figure it with this sort of thing, if you want to do a job, get something designed to do it - not something else that has a similar function as an optional extra.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourfourforever
he never got good sounds out of the zoom from a guitar amp because its not a full range flat response type of amp what happens is the amp colors the effects the zoom is pumping out through the guitar amp so u get this shitty tone

Which to me means that it's only usable for recording your sounds into the computer. You can never really replicate those sounds with it through an amp. Maybe a PA would work better with it. Regardless, I think it's just too much function in one package to do any of it all that well. I'll keep my pedal board and a true interface for recording.
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall 6100LM Head with Slash Signature 4x12 half stack.
http://gideond.wordpress.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
Fourfourforever

well i do not know why that would mean that to u, you can still play live with it like u said plugged in to the PA or gig with it plugged through a monitor or keyboard amp or any other sort of speaker type as long as its frfr and you will get the sounds you hear from it through your headphones/computer. Also yes most of those boards come with a direct usb connection for recording but you can use any type of recording interface you really choose. But really u can use whatever the **** u want lol i just think digital is the wave of the futurrree i mean shit axe fx or any kind of pod is pretty damn cool imo.

Last edited by Fourfourforever : 11-18-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Fourfourforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: