Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #81
mystical_1
**** it

I would interpret "habitual" use of anything to avoid reality (self medication) a warning sign of something deeper. Depression, stress, abuse, neglect, etc.

Parents who enable this behavior are avoiding the real issues that their kids might be having rather than being a real parent and figuring it out. Habitual use of anything to bandaid a problem has a big chance to fail badly and do more harm then good, over time.

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

mystical_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #82
Ssargentslayer
Registered Abuser

I think my rents were happy as long as my grades were good. Like mid 80's
Call me Keenan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
I basically slap my dick on my girlfriend's stomach until I get off.
brot pls
Minecraft: Bunnies4Breakfst
Xbox: Bunies4Breakfst
Ssargentslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #83
rock.freak667
Time Traveler!

My parents' were overly strict with me, apart from school things, I was rarely allowed out with friends.

My brother on the other hand basically got to do what he wanted.
rock.freak667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #84
guitarhero_764
Bouncy

I plan to smoke weed with my kids all the time. I've got absolutely nothing against it.

last.fm
guitarhero_764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #85
theogonia777
Professional Musician

I think it depends on the kids. My parents were never overly strict with me or my sister, and we turned out fine because we're both naturally well mannered. With my youngest sister on the other hand, they've taken the same approach and it has failed miserably.

"Cool" parents can be fine, but only if their kids are unbelievably good kids to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - The Origin of "Loombag"
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #86
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhero_764
I plan to smoke weed with my kids all the time. I've got absolutely nothing against it.

yeah, you think you'll do it, but you probably won't.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #87
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhero_764

And when they get kicked out of school for selling it to other children I expect you'll accept all responsibility for how your irresponsible parenting lead to that, yeah?
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #88
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie

My parents never really did that for me but then again, i never asked. When i think about it, they've been extremely lenient with me in practically every respect. I guess i turned out alright in terms of not becoming an alcoholic or a drug addict but it has more to do with my own reasoning than how i was raised.

Personally, i'd be very willing to turn a blind eye to drugs and alcohol assuming it isn't out of control but i wouldn't be comfortable as an accomplice to it. I wouldn't buy them that shit, besides, illegally getting alcohol themselves is such a classic teen experience, i'd hate to deprive them of it.

I don't smoke weed much, but theres no chance i would with my kids. In fact, i would never try and be 'best friends' with my kid like that, to me its desperate and really weird. Doing drugs or drinking with kids just seems weird to me. That kinda stuff has the essence of rebellion about it so doing it with your primary authority figures just feels wrong. I don't find those 'cool' parents very cool at all tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
TOMMYB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #89
Ninja Vampirate
up the hoods

My dad started buying me beer (to drink in the house) when I was 16, which is completely normal, or at least it was where I lived
Old 11-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #90
Metallicuh
Dropping that acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock.freak667
My parents' were overly strict with me, apart from school things, I was rarely allowed out with friends.

My brother on the other hand basically got to do what he wanted.

This is what you tell your parents when they say no, "I'm the boss, and I do what I want." and then you walk out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsLesPaul
I like penis

If God was a woman, we would all be sandwiches.

Last edited by Metallicuh : 11-17-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Metallicuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #91
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
When I was 16 my mom let me have a drink or two when she was drinking with the rest of the family. My mom is really close with her side of the family and we would often go out to my aunt's house for parties. When I was younger I would hang around with my cousins and all the other kids there, but when I got older the rest of the family would offer me alcohol despite only being in my teens. I think it was a good experience. It removed all the mystery around alcohol. And in highschool, where kids often brag about drinking to make themselves look super cool, I would just laugh at them.

"You had 22 beers last night? HAHAHAHAHA. My aunt let me try a glass of wine."

I can see how this would have worked out for you, metal4eva.

OT: When you're under-age you can always find someone to supply booze. It never was my parents but if you know a guy whose 21, it's really pretty easy. And when you turn 18 and go off to college it's so easy you start to forget it's supposed to be illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Old Country. Old Blues. Old Rock. Old Metal. Gangsta Rap.

Last edited by VanTheKraut : 11-17-2012 at 02:23 PM.
VanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #92
josh999x
Internet Dickhead.

Being from the UK the legal age over here is only 18, which i think is about right, but all drinking requires a a sensible individual, i have never touched the stuff myself despite being 20. In America i would consider giving it to an 18 year old especially due to the fact American alcohol is like tap water compared to what we have over here.
josh999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #93
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #94
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh999x
In America i would consider giving it to an 18 year old especially due to the fact American alcohol is like tap water compared to what we have over here.

wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - The Origin of "Loombag"
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #95
AdamDK
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh999x
Being from the UK the legal age over here is only 18, which i think is about right, but all drinking requires a a sensible individual, i have never touched the stuff myself despite being 20. In America i would consider giving it to an 18 year old especially due to the fact American alcohol is like tap water compared to what we have over here.

What? You've never tried alcohol in Britain, yet alone America, but you can compare the two?
AdamDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #96
dubstar92
Freetarded

My parents never let me drink or smoke around them, but they knew if I wanted to go out and do it, I would. So they didn't really care what I did as long as I kept my grades up.

dubstar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #97
Harvey Swick
UGs Token Native American

Native Americans have always had a certain way of raising their children. usually extended family is a lot closer and children are often raised by relatives. aunts can be second moms, uncles can fill father roles, cousins are like siblings. Most tribes have also taken a passive stance as far as children making mistakes (drug abuse in this case) the philosophy is that children learn from making mistakes and if they dont learn, they must not have learned their lesson and must make more mistakes. of course with that translated to a modern society and in relation to drug abuse, there is a lot more underage drinking and drug abuse. i remember these 11 year old kids got busted for breathing coolant out of A/C units behind houses because one of their friends died from it. it also results in a lot of long term drug abuse as well (though i dont think thats the main contributing factor).
as far as my own daughter goes i don't plan to hide anything from her and will tell her everything about alcohol and drugs so, if she does try to experiment in the future, she will know what she's getting into. i will of course do what i can to prevent her from trying any drugs in the first place, though i realize she will probably try it anyway. the only thing i can do is educate her and make sure i am there for her when she needs my help.

I often create feelings in others that they themselves do not understand.
Harvey Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #98
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I really don't care. My parents did it for me.
Being 20 and having to have your parents supply your booze is absolutely hilarious though. Well done America.

Being 17 and not being able to drive a car is hilarious. Well done UK.

Nah, but our alcohol laws are ridiculous.
TheChaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #99
rock.freak667
Time Traveler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicuh
This is what you tell your parents when they say no, "I'm the boss, and I do what I want." and then you walk out.

that would have probably worked if I did that now as I have a job and money, otherwise, I would be told to leave and never return.
rock.freak667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #100
jakesmellspoo
BrBa Survivor's Club

"cool" parents are annoying and weird.

between my former friend's mom talking casually with me about abusing Ambien and smoking "bones" and my one friend's ex-girlfriend's parents being weirdos and hosting underage drinking parties, they're not really cool so much as irresponsible and lame.

Rate This Thread: