Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
jumpnjax

marshall vs. marshall

hey guys i was wondering. for a foo fighters kind of crunchy sound (but that can handle hi gain too) what would be better between a marshall haze mhz40c and a marshall dsl40c. i play an epiphone wildkat, and a fender standard strat
jumpnjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Roc8995

I think the DSL is a lot more versatile than the Haze, and a better value. Between the two that would be my choice.

However the DSL40C is new and I haven't played it yet. Apparently the new 15 watt DSLs are pretty bad so hopefully they stuck with Original Recipe on the 40s.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

gregs said they aren't that good, and the new 100 watt head I tried was fizzier than club soda.

You may want to look for a used Marshall JCM900 SL-X. otherwise fill out this form so we can help you better. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Old 11-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
However the DSL40C is new and I haven't played it yet. Apparently the new 15 watt DSLs are pretty bad so hopefully they stuck with Original Recipe on the 40s.

i hope you are right, but i doubt they did.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

Go for a used JCM2000 DSL401c and you'll be set.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I played the 100watt last week at long and mcquade.

sounded like shit. It was wayy too fizzy. You could tell that the true marshall tone was there, just covered in fizz
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

I actually saw the DSL head at my local GC, I kind of wanted to try it, but I didn't have time. The original DSLs were already kind of fizzy, if the new ones are more so, than I would stay away and see if you can find something used, because I have played the 40 and 15 watt Haze and underwhelming would be a generous rating. Some of the suggestions here have been good, I like the idea of the DSL401 combo, it has EL84 tubes which I would think would help it to get closer to the Vox sound that Dave Grohl uses on a lot of stuff, but it can still get pretty heavy as well.

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto, KH2 and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I tried the 100 watt head at Sam Ash a few weeks back, and I thought it was a little more fizzy than the old DSL's, but not much. I think the main issue is that the stock speakers for the cabs and the stock tubes just suck. I would say if you re-tubed it with some JJ's and put it on a cab that had some better speakers, it would sound brilliant. I was actually surprised by how it sounded, as I expected much, much less.

I really think these thigns are just sleeping giants in the budget amp world. If I had the money, I would take one for the team and buy one, retube it, and play it through a better cab. Hell, if I could, I would see if they would let me just swap out preamp tubes and put it on a better cab in-store to try it. I also blame some of the fiziness on not being able to crank it. I thought the older DSL's kinda smoothed out a bit after you started getting some volume cranking out of them.

Honestly, if someone can try them out through a Jet City cab, that might be a good combo. They're both budget-minded, and I was reading in another forum where a guy bought a JCA24S that he paried with a Marshall head and he was pleased with how it reduced some of the fiziness in the amp and warmed up his tone some.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonpardy
I played the 100watt last week at long and mcquade.

sounded like shit. It was wayy too fizzy. You could tell that the true marshall tone was there, just covered in fizz

They haven't put decent tubes in a Marshall since the JCM900. There's your fizz. What speakers were in it? That would account for the rest of the fizz. If Marshall put decent tubes and speakers in their amps I reckon they'd sell a hell of a lot more amps. First impressions count as you just demonstrated.
If Ferrari put shitty Chinese tyres on their cars they wouldn't sell any either - wouldn't make them a bad car but it would make it a good car with shit tyres but that would give the impression that it was a shit car. That describes all modern Marshalls and most new amps in general really. We have entered an era where you have to budget in a full retube any time you buy a mass produced amp.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-17-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Foo Fighters? I thought David Grohl played Dual Rectifiers for all the non-clean stuff..
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDetroit
Foo Fighters? I thought David Grohl played Dual Rectifiers for all the non-clean stuff..

Correct. Mesa for dirt, AC30 for cleans.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #13
harrisonatsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Correct. Mesa for dirt, AC30 for cleans.
Actually recently they've been using ac30's as main dirt, for the majority of the wasting light tour and in recording, and the whole of nothing left to lose was recorded on an ac30, with occasional use of a rat
harrisonatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

I recently saw Chris using a Friedman (it looked like a) Brown Eye at a Foo concert, but I can't remember what everyone else was using.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
They haven't put decent tubes in a Marshall since the JCM900. There's your fizz. What speakers were in it? That would account for the rest of the fizz. If Marshall put decent tubes and speakers in their amps I reckon they'd sell a hell of a lot more amps. First impressions count as you just demonstrated.
If Ferrari put shitty Chinese tyres on their cars they wouldn't sell any either - wouldn't make them a bad car but it would make it a good car with shit tyres but that would give the impression that it was a shit car. That describes all modern Marshalls and most new amps in general really. We have entered an era where you have to budget in a full retube any time you buy a mass produced amp.

I completel agree. I was playing it through a marshall 412 with v30's I do believe.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #16
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonpardy
I completel agree. I was playing it through a marshall 412 with v30's I do believe.

Personally, I think V30's can be fizzy, especially with certain amps. I think Marshalls benefit more from a smoother speaker. I mean, when it comes to some of the big Marshall players that I think of when I hear the name, most of them don't use V30's. I mean, I think of:

Slash: V30
Kerry King: K100
Zakk Wylde: Custom EVM
Gary Moore: T75
Dave Mustaine: V30
James Hetfield: T75
Angus Young: Greenback (supposedly V30's on some of the newer stuff)
Brent Hinds: T75
Dave Murray: T75
Billy Gibbons: T75
Jimi Hendrix: Greenbacks and T75's
Yngwie Malmsteen: T75

More often than not, Marshalls are paired with T75's. I mean, considering their most famous cab is loaded with those, it makes sense that they would be used most often with this speaker, not to mention voiced with the T75 in mind as the speaker they are likely to be used with. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the entire Thrash scene started with JCM's and 1960 cabs behind the guitarists? Even though Mustaine is known more for using V30's now, I bet he had T75's in his cabs in the glory days.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Dave has always used a multitude of amps, but listen to some foos and you will definitely here some ac30 dirt in there. I know at one time he was big on recs, but I definitely here plenty of ac30, especially on the newes album

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto, KH2 and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
T7E
All smiles :)

3:04 ;

Right at the start

In short: In these two videos one can see a Fender Bassman combo, A Vox AC30 (Handwired i think), a hiwatt custom and, suprisingly, a Peavey 6505.
In a rack off to the left in the second vid there are some Fender heads, of which I am not sure of the model, and hat appears to be two Suhr Custom Audio Amplifiers.

I may have missed something, but that would appear to be the bulk of their current tonez machines

EDIT: There is a rack off to the right in vid 2, which looks like it contains more peaveys, but I can't be sure
Anarchy Audio Analog Phaser
Toyroom Effects Woolly Bully
Smallsound/Bigsound Mini
Chasebliss Audio Warped Vinyl
Diamond Compressor
Strymon EL Capistan
Neunaber Stereo Wet
Barwatt Rocket 30

Last edited by T7E : 11-23-2012 at 07:39 AM.
T7E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

3:28 you see Chris in front of a VOX and a Friedman.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Personally, I think V30's can be fizzy, especially with certain amps. I think Marshalls benefit more from a smoother speaker. I mean, when it comes to some of the big Marshall players that I think of when I hear the name, most of them don't use V30's. I mean, I think of:

Slash: V30
Kerry King: K100
Zakk Wylde: Custom EVM
Gary Moore: T75
Dave Mustaine: V30
James Hetfield: T75
Angus Young: Greenback (supposedly V30's on some of the newer stuff)
Brent Hinds: T75
Dave Murray: T75
Billy Gibbons: T75
Jimi Hendrix: Greenbacks and T75's
Yngwie Malmsteen: T75

More often than not, Marshalls are paired with T75's. I mean, considering their most famous cab is loaded with those, it makes sense that they would be used most often with this speaker, not to mention voiced with the T75 in mind as the speaker they are likely to be used with. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the entire Thrash scene started with JCM's and 1960 cabs behind the guitarists? Even though Mustaine is known more for using V30's now, I bet he had T75's in his cabs in the glory days.

Gary Moore used EV's, not Celestions. But I agree, V30's don't suit most Marshalls.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Rate This Thread: