Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Steyr9001

Interested in classical guitar classes

So I'll be starting college in January, but I still haven't decided what I want to do with all of my elective credits. Then I saw that they had beginner and intermediate classical guitar classes, and that's caught my interest.

I've played electric for a couple years, and have become somewhat familiar with rock and metal, but I'm completely self-taught. I can't read sheet music, I know next to nothing about music theory, and I've also never played a classical piece/acoustic song before.

So I figured I'd come here and ask what all I need to have or know to a take a music class. My dad has an old classical guitar he's never really played that I would just need new strings for, so the guitar is taken care of, and I've heard that I would need a foot stool for proper posture (which I really don't know if that's true or not. Do I need a good understanding of music theory? Do I need to be able to read sheet music? Do I need a notable level of skill, even for a beginner class?

And lastly, I'm honestly not very familiar with classical music, so what are some relatively simple classical songs someone could start with?
Steyr9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
profmcnasty
Classical Guitarist

Hey, I'm from the university of texas at brownsville which i am in the guitar program there. And yes, you do need a footstool, you do need to read notation before entering(its part of the audition) also, you need to grow your fingernails on the right hand because we play with our nails.

http://www.musictheory.net/ ------ This site will help you learn how to read, its simple

If you decide to do an audition somewhere, they usually ask for about 10 minutes of solo pieces and sightreading in which you try and read music which you haven't seen before.
profmcnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Steyr9001

Quote:
Originally Posted by profmcnasty
Hey, I'm from the university of texas at brownsville which i am in the guitar program there. And yes, you do need a footstool, you do need to read notation before entering(its part of the audition) also, you need to grow your fingernails on the right hand because we play with our nails.

http://www.musictheory.net/ ------ This site will help you learn how to read, its simple

If you decide to do an audition somewhere, they usually ask for about 10 minutes of solo pieces and sightreading in which you try and read music which you haven't seen before.

I was starting to think I wouldn't be able to get an answer.

thanks, I appreciate it.
Steyr9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
profmcnasty
Classical Guitarist

No prob man
profmcnasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: