Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Parthy

Changing from stock Active to Passive pickups

Hi all,

My current baby - The PRS Torero, as you may be aware; comes stock standard with EMG 81/85 pickups. While I do love them, I don't want another guitar with a set so I've gone out and purchased a Seymour Duncan Sh4 and 59" for the Bridge and Neck respectively.

My question is - What components do I need to change/add to ensure a correct installation. I am aware that I will need to replace the current pots with 500k and I keep reading about adding a 250 micro farad or similar value capacitor to the circuit? If someone could shed some light on this, that would be awesome!

I already have my wiring diagram drawn up and ready - I just need some clarification on the pots and caps. Also; Any advice or tricks would be appreciated...I'm not too fussed on coil splitting - Just a traditional 3 way selection.

Thanks!
Parthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

.047 is the typical cap value for humbuckers. You can use .022 as well, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the .022s will give you a brighter (more treble) tone.

Also don't forget to get a mono 1/4" input jack. It's not necessary, but they're cheap enough that you might as well do the full conversion.

Another thing to note is that volume pots are typically B500K and tone pots are typically A500K, but really it's totally up to personal preference. The difference is the rate at which they roll off - I don't remember which is which though.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: