Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Jimii00

I can't play fast?

I've been playing electric guitar for 2 years now and I just can't play faster licks in solos. I'm not trying to play some out of the world solo, for example I can play first solo of Estranged, but there is no way I could play the second one. Is this a thing that just comes with playing, or should I just work on my speed (if yes, how to do it?)?

How much time did you need to play faster licks or solos?
Jimii00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Just slow down the solo to a comfortable speed and play it over and over and over again for a week and you'll be able to do it. That's seriously all there is too it. Slow it down, play it 100% accurately and relaxed, and BLAM you can do it much faster. Rinse and repeat till it's up to speed.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
tael

Agree with above. I find that a comfortable speed is usually agonizingly slow, atleast for sweep picking and the like but it will help. I use a metronome because its harder (for me atleast) to keep time when playing extremely slow.
tael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

...or just torture the shit out of your fingers with technical exercises.
Try this pattern:
|--4-2---2---------------------------------------
|-------4---4-2-4-2---2-------------------------------------
|----------------------4---4-2-4-2---2-----------------------------------
|------------------------------------4----4-2-4-2---2-----------------------------
|----------------------------------------------------4---4-2-4-2---2----------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------4---4-2--------------------------
and then go backwards, over all frets you can play on, use different combinations of fingering, increase the distance between frets etc... Anything you can think of.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Wild_One

use metronome and start slow...

remember that shredding is just like human approach to be able to run..

if you can't walk, then it's impossible to run...

means that if you can't play any fast lick slowly, then its impossible to play it fast

Instrumental
Metalcore
Death Metal
80's
Globalized Hoax
Technical Difficulties (Cover)
Wild_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
turn_the_page93

Research Economy Picking.

Depending on how many notes per string your playing, you'd start with an upstroke or a downstroke.

ex: ^That tab up there. You would start with a down stroke on the high E, then pick the second note with an up stroke. Then down stroke the one note on B string, then up on E, then repeat for the rest of it.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Nameless742
UG Fanatic

Some solos will be out of your reach to play. The most you can do is keep practicing and playing in general and attempt these solos from time to time.
I recall trying to play Tornado of Souls and I could not do it. I was like HOW ?!?!?! IMPOSSIBLELELE!>!1!"%$

Only recently I picked it up again and learned it instantly and properly. Note by note. Slowly repeating the licks over and over.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Nameless742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn_the_page93
Research Economy Picking.

That won't help at all, TS just needs better and more focused practice. Macashmack is right but really the key is to practice to play well; practicing purely for speed is almost entirely unproductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
astholkohtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless742
Some solos will be out of your reach to play. The most you can do is keep practicing and playing in general and attempt these solos from time to time.
I recall trying to play Tornado of Souls and I could not do it. I was like HOW ?!?!?! IMPOSSIBLELELE!>!1!"%$

Only recently I picked it up again and learned it instantly and properly. Note by note. Slowly repeating the licks over and over.

this. you need to do exercises. i don't believe in the "play it slowly" thing, it only works if the particular lick you are learning involves techniques you already know. say you want to learn some alternate picking lick from paul gilbert: you can play it slow for as long as you want to, but you're never gonna get it right if you cant alternate pick a major scale at decent speeds.
astholkohtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astholkohtz
this. you need to do exercises. i don't believe in the "play it slowly" thing, it only works if the particular lick you are learning involves techniques you already know. say you want to learn some alternate picking lick from paul gilbert: you can play it slow for as long as you want to, but you're never gonna get it right if you cant alternate pick a major scale at decent speeds.

I'm not sure if you've noticed the contradiction inherent to this.

How come learning things slowly will work for learning to play a scale but it won't work for a lick? Also, if you can learn a technique from applying it to a scale, why can you not learn the same thing from a lick?

You're right that if you can't alternate pick then you're not going to be able to learn an alternate picking lick but there is absolutely no reason why learning alternate picking in the form of a lick won't work while learning it from a scale or exercise will.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
astholkohtz

well if your only goal is learning a song, well of course you can practise just the song.

if you are gonna act like a total ****** playing over and over just the one song you know it's gonna take forever to learn, you might as well let it rest for a while and practise systematically all the techniques involved in the particular solo you want to be able to play eventually.

i know nobody wants to learn things the hard way, but that's what it takes to be a good guitar player, instead of being just a kid that posts covers on youtube.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
well if your only goal is learning a song, well of course you can practise just the song.

if you are gonna act like a total ****** playing over and over just the one song you know it's gonna take forever to learn, you might as well let it rest for a while and practise systematically all the techniques involved in the particular solo you want to be able to play eventually.

i know nobody wants to learn things the hard way, but that's what it takes to be a good guitar player, instead of being just a kid that posts covers on youtube.

You're acting like the systematic approach and learning through songs are somehow mutually exclusive and also that somehow learning songs prevents understanding...

There is nothing about learning licks and songs that stops you being systematic about it and learning things very deliberately with good technique and there is also nothing about learning through songs that means you won't understand what's going on.

You can learn just as well either way as long as you apply good practice and learn theory along side it, the real difference is that at the end of learning through other people's music you have something that you can play to other people.

Why would you learn something the hard way if you can do it just as well the easy way? And you really can learn the easy way.

Quote:

Old 11-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
astholkohtz

i thought my message was super duper absolutely crystal clear, but still, you managed to completely misunderstand it
Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
i thought my message was super duper absolutely crystal clear, but still, you managed to completely misunderstand it

Then elucidate, obviously I'm missing something that's painfully obvious to the genius that is you.

Unless the only thing you're trying to say is "practicing many things is good". In which case yes.

Quote:

Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
astholkohtz

if the problem is you can't play a solo because it involves techniques you've never seen before, you better start with the basic exersises, because you wanna learn the technique, not the single lick. just learning one single song doesn't give you the whole spectrum of a technique (it might sometimes, but not all the time). this is, in my opinion, much more efficient in the long run. i never mentioned anything like "dont practise songs it's useless". well, it kinda is when you want to learn, say, hotel california, and you don't know hot to bend strings. that'd be just frustrating.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Yes it would but there's no reason you can't make yourself aware of a technique and it's applications by learning it from a song, at the very least there's nothing that makes that better than learning something from an exercise.

Either way in order to be able to do anything you have to be aware of the basic mechanics of doing something and just running an exercise isn't going to teach you that any more than a song will.

Quote:

Old 11-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
astholkohtz

you can play exercises throughout all the neck

you can extend exercises to tons of patterns (like the 3nps patterns), which are thing that are actually used in a shitload of solos

you can extend exercises to all the scales you want, so they help you learn scales, while doing something else

you can extend exercises to all the strings you want, which is very important because every string is quite different to the other ones

and still, they dont keep you from playing songs in the meanwhile.

those are the benefits of exercises i could think of in 3 seconds.

i really don't see what the hell you are bitching about. you probably just don't like to agree with people on forums.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

No, I dislike agreeing with people who either are wrong or miss the point.

With a little thought and application all of those things are also true of songs; the same kind of application of thought you need to make them true of exercises as well. Only when you're done you end up with a song to play.

I'm 'bitching' because just telling someone to run exercises doesn't actually help, at all. What TS needs to do is practice anything but better. With the right kind of practice you can play more or less anything and develop your technique but if you apply it to songs you end up with context for what you're doing and a piece of music to play when you're done. Don't get me wrong, I advise exercises sometimes but only for very specific things; exercises should be used to solve problems and until you start playing you don't know what's going to get in your way.

Quote:

Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
astholkohtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
With a little thought and application all of those things are also true of songs; the same kind of application of thought you need to make them true of exercises as well.

i highly doubt that.

i'll never tell you that your method is wrong, because i have never tried it. it is, however, very non-standard. in fact, it's much different from what instructors usually teach, so, if i were you, i'd be very careful to say what you did in this thread, especially if your main intention is giving good pieces of advice.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

I dunno. I've come across some licks in songs that just aren't covered in exercises. Therefore the only way round it, is to make an exercise out of the lick itself.

Example, the lick starting at 2:34 is a repetition lick with a 6 against 4 rhythmic displacement. The exercise for that... IS the lick itself.

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: