Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Wormwoode

Smile Hand positioning questions

Hi everyone

I have two somewhat nooby questions. I even took some masterpieces of photography for you!

1. When I play a note at the left of the fretboard (1st and 2nd mostly) my finger is like this:

show

Is this a bad thing? It bends because I cant really reach it unless I move all my body. I've always played it this way, so I hope its not too bad. :x

2. When I switch power chords my middle finger kinds of go "weee!!!!" and lifts for no reason. I end up like this:

show

Apart from looking stupid is this something I should work on or is it fine?

Thanks!
Wormwoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
It seems as you're playing with too much tension, you need to relax your hands more.

I'm sorry, it's 4:00 am in here and i don't want to give advise when i'm tired because it'll probably come out wrong :P

I'm just gonna let the technique guys help you.....
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormwoode
Hi everyone

I have two somewhat nooby questions. I even took some masterpieces of photography for you!

1. When I play a note at the left of the fretboard (1st and 2nd mostly) my finger is like this:

show

Is this a bad thing? It bends because I cant really reach it unless I move all my body. I've always played it this way, so I hope its not too bad. :x

2. When I switch power chords my middle finger kinds of go "weee!!!!" and lifts for no reason. I end up like this:

show

Apart from looking stupid is this something I should work on or is it fine?

Thanks!

In the first picture, it looks like your main problem is posture. Angle your guitar up more so the headstock is closer to your shoulder, and keep your wrist as straight as possible.

In the second picture, that problem is very common, but that doesn't mean it's right. Ideally, your fingers should be hovering just over the strings. The less you have to move your fingers, the better.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Wormwoode

thanks i'll do my best to correct that ^_^
Wormwoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
J_W

Why are you stretching accross 4 frets to reach the first fret? Move your hand closer to the headstock. Unless you are fretting the 4th on another string with your pinky there is no reason to be stretching like that.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: