Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
fishmike

my first experience playing live in front of strangers (not expected but pretty funny

I'm in NJ... and the area was pretty hammered by hurricane Sandy. Like most I was without power for about a week, cant find gas for my car and things are generally out of sort. Yesterday I'm driving around looking for a place to fuel up and go vote. I wait about 40 minutes in line at the gas station, get one car from the pump and the station runs out dry. Ouch. Next place I try more of the same, but luckily less of a wait before realizing it was futile as well. My journey in frustration puts me in the path of my local guitar center where the sales minions know me better than a bartender knows a drunk at the local pub.

I'm pretty irritable at this point. My only saving grace is after a nasty day at work and fruitless search for gas I'm not hungry because I had the foresight to grab a couple slices for the car while I waited in line during gas attempt #1. Mentally and emotionally I don't have much else working for me, so I alleviate some of the stress and irritability with an herbal remedy and stroll into GC.

I'm not really there to shop, but I've bought so much stuff I have no guilt at playing with the toys and walking out with a $2 bag of picks. Hey... they get commissions on that too. My mood and state of mind has me thinking something warm, happy and therapeutic is what the doc would order. I pick up the first Strat I see, its the cheapest Fender makes... runs like $450 and I think its Mexican made, but its tuned so that's what I'm starting with. I plug it into Fender's little Blues Jr. tube amp thinking I could get a nice warm tone at a non offensive attention whoring volume. After all, I just want to play a little and get back on the road.

Things are cool. Exactly what the doc ordered. I'm playing a nice little riff from a band called Dispatch. The tune is 'Bang Bang.'
Its a great little E/B riff. Its not fast, very melodic and really easy and fun to jam too (youtube it! Dispatch ROCKS). Well... I wasn't the only one who liked it because some kid (17-20 years old ish) is in my grill asking if that's something I came up with. I said no man... its Dispatch. He says "well yo dude... keep playin, cause I wanna sing."

I keep playing my riff, and throw in some rhythm... just a little chuckachucka on those E/B barre chords on the 7th fret and the dude start add libbing a holiday song. The kid is good. REALLY good. I've gotten enough back scratches from the Mrs during Idol, XFactor and the voice to know this kid is solid and was really hitting his notes. About 20 seconds into it one of his buddies yells at someone who picked up a bass to test "quit that! my boy is singing over here!"
I don't stop playing but I look up and now the 25 or so sales kids and browsers of GC in Springfield NJ are all standing around listening to this kid sing and me play while his buddy records it. Man I got nervous fast! Having experience with public speaking I recognize the nervousness for what it is, and find my hands starting to lock a bit and shake. Luckily I was able to quickly steel my nerves a bit and keep it going. I cant say we finished cleanly but we had a legit groove going and it was cool to see the small audience digging it all.

Totally organic and unplanned, which is what made it so cool. Hardly a big deal in any world, but its a little slice of what makes playing so special to me. Not a thing in common with this young man and yet for a couple minutes we came together and made something cool. I started playing 3-4 years ago, mostly just messing around in the bedroom but I have loved every stage of learning to play and last night was just another pretty cool thing to happen thanks to taking up music.

If you made it through all of this thanks for reading... just a little share that at any time on a random Tues in Nov something cool happened because I started playing guitar in my nonexistent spare time. The people of this board have given tons of good and free advice over the last couple years and I appreciate it all. Hope you enjoyed my little tale.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
G-Dog_666
A owl?

That's what it's all about. Keep on rocking, dude.
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
Korg PX4
BOSS ME-50

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
G-Dog_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Dont Move

Cool story
Dont Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
WrathfulOne

Cool man, respect!
WrathfulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
amonamarthmetal

cliffs please.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Dont Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
cliffs please.

Just read the Fing story.......that's what it is.......not a couple of highlights

Otherwise don't read it?
Dont Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

the advice we gave was never free - people need to put in a LOT of work to make use of it.

also, i hardly consider "election day 2012" a "random tuesday in november"

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Move
Otherwise don't read it

K.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
fishmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
the advice we gave was never free - people need to put in a LOT of work to make use of it.

also, i hardly consider "election day 2012" a "random tuesday in november"
agree on both points mate... the whole day was a hassle and people around my parts are even more pissed off than normal for NJ (thats saying a lot... trust me).

I guess it felt normal once I walked into GC. Of course I got a bit loose beforehand. Nothing crazy, just a little MJ to help wisk away the working man's blues. Of course that only added to the whole thing.. I was totally in my own world and next thing this cat is barking at me to keep playing. When it ended I was like what the hell just happened????? It felt like a pop quiz and recital all wrapped in one. Super cool though... kind of a personal moment, but I felt like this was the only place people would understand.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
food1010
Bassist

Bang Bang is a great tune, I'd be interested to hear what this kid ad libbed over it.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Icarus Lives
UG Member

Get kid, start band, screw bitches.
Icarus Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Wish this shit would happen to me sometimes ahaha.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenoath
Wish this shit would happen to me sometimes ahaha.

Yeah me too. I can sing, but I just don't know where to find any guitar players.

FenderBender72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Have you checked the line for welfare cheques?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Edgers

Hi NJ,
Thanks for sharing your first experience playing live in front of strangers and it was a great read. Really cool NJ! You rocks.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
skilly1

He's in new jersey I think dude yeah cool story,
I get nervous playing guitar in front of ppl I know, usually if it's a tricky piece, so congrats for holding your nerve
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: