Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
SamWhiteBASS

I think the problem is presuming the universe has to have something to expand into. Realistically we dont really understand the universe and seen as the universe is 'everything that there is' if it is expanding, its either expanding into is self, or in some kind of bizarre way creating space to expand into... Its an odd thought but it does kind of make sense.

The universe started from the big bang (I presume we all agree?) and its expanding from the singularity where it started, there's a theory that eventually the force from the singularity will be out weighed by gravity and the universe will start to sort of collapse in on its self and eventually will all come back to the singularity. (A point of infinite mass and density) Some people even argue that the force of creating a singularity would cause another rapid expansion and create, yet another universe and this cycle would probably repeat for eternity!

Interesting, dont you think?
SamWhiteBASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
metal4eva_22
Smart purple horse

Is it that the universe is is expanding at an accelerated rate, or is it that time is slowing down while the universe expands at a constant rate, but we can't notice time slowing down in our short lives?

Since space and time are linked, maybe once the universe expands enough, time will slow down to zero.

Last edited by metal4eva_22 : 11-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.
metal4eva_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #23
C0FF1NF33D3R
Banned

The universe is still expanding from the Big Bang. The rate of expansion is so fast that light from distant galaxies will never reach Earth. The expansion also means the universe is cooling down. When the universe cools down matter will eventually break apart (predicted by the laws of thermodynamics). The universe will als. be in complete darkness. This estimated to happen in about 14 billion years. This is more likely to happen than the "Big Crunch" theory, in which the universe collapses in on it self.
C0FF1NF33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
eGraham
Logjammin'

Well, speed and time are supposedly directly related. And if I understand right, the universe continually expands more rapidly. So I could see a correlation there.

But I'm no ****ing physicist.

I am an equal opportunity banner
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #25
shavorules42
UG Board King

My professors have told me that the Big Crunch or oscillating Big Bang theory is generally considered to be false by most physicists these days. More are subscribing to the Big Freeze theory that the guy with the 13375P34|< name referred to.

And cup his balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
shavorules42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
SamWhiteBASS

For the record, I wasnt saying I agree with the big crunch idea, I just think its a pretty cool concept!
SamWhiteBASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

It's expanding because basically there is still force left over from the big bang, as in the explosion is still happening in a way. Atleast that's how I see it.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #28
metalgod97

The Double Slit Experiment proved matter to be made of wave/particles. Yet, when the electrons were observed, they constantly shifted between waves & particles as if they were being watched. Yet, dissonant individuals asked how the particles could change so quickly. Linear time is an illusion created in the physical in order to aid the very minds that created it -- us. In the 4th dimension (Astral Planes) space & time are one & there lies the "Akashic Records." The complete memory bank from the dawn of mankind formed into one: a Collective Consciousness. What happens on the Inner Planes directly affect life in the physical. In order to understand the outward symbols projected by Us, We must understand the workings from within.
metalgod97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #29
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWhiteBASS
For the record, I wasnt saying I agree with the big crunch idea, I just think its a pretty cool concept!

So is religion
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
Amuro Jay

what if the universe isn't expanding what if everything in it is just shrinking
Originally Posted by K'Nuckles
Butts are where you keep sin. Buttsex would be like ploughing pure sin.
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #31
Dreadnought
Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495

Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #32
eGraham
Logjammin'

Quote:

That's not fair, it's cold outside.

I am an equal opportunity banner
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #33
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Quote:

lol, I have a friend who's really into science and shit, if you tell that to him.... he..... he would yell at you..... alot....

Inb4 alot.jpg
Old 11-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #34
Hereiwas
"Alex"

Brooklyn is NOT expanding.

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Hereiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #35
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

There is no edge to the universe, because the universe is everything. It's possible that there is an edge that we can't perceive in three dimensions, or even possible that things in the universe that are too far away from us to ever observe don't actually exist, or just exist as a probability.

It's infinite and expanding because everything everywhere is clumping together in galaxies (gravity), and the galaxies are all moving away from each other in all opposite directions (dark energy).

No one really knows why the dark energy is expanding the universe, but I suspect it's gravity being displaced from the supermassive black holes holding galaxies together.

Space itself is getting bigger, and eventually the universe will rip apart to infinitely small pieces falling into black holes. That's how the universe ends, but since no one can prove exactly how it began, we don't know what would stop another big bang from happening.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #36
ron666

Good question. I heard someone say that our universe is like a bubble and there are other universes nearby that are also bubbles.

So if one bubble gets bigger then obviously our bubble will start to squeeze against another one. I don't know what happens when the pressure gets too intense. So don't ask?

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #37
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
The universe is getting bigger, yes. But you have to detach yourself from the idea that its expanding into something. There is no big area being filled up by the universe. Outside the bounds of the universe is non-existence. Not empty space, not 'nothing.' The place doesn't exist.

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show
Seref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #38
ripple07
Clancy can't even sing

Location: Out here on the perimeter there are no stars. Out here we is stoned. Immaculate.
Red shift, bro. Check it out.
ripple07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #39
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Universe expanding indeed

I caught the cleverness of this post. Well done.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #40
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

[physics undergraduate]

Yes, it is expanding. No, we don't know what into. We know there is an "edge of time", though, because we can see reflections from the big bang, meaning there is some sort of "wall" at the edge of the universe. Awesome, huh?
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: