Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Carl21221

N(u)ad!

Apologies for my terrible quality photos, Ipods can only perform so well in poor lighting conditions

Here it is! My new (second hand) Peavey 6505+ 112. I'm sure you all know about this amp from the countless threads about settings/NAD's etc. It's a 60W tube amp known for it's deathly distortion and even its not-so-clean cleans haha! It has an FX-loop and an option to plug into an extension cabinet.

Short Review:
As I've stated it was second hand when I bought it from gumtree. It doesn't seem to have as much wear and tear as I thought. It looks brand spanking new at a glance. There ARE some tiny dings and scratches, but who cares! It came pre-upgraded with a Celestion V30 too! So I can't really fault the fact I only paid 300 and the dude kindly delivered it to me on the way to the lake district (UK) with his family. He lived like 3 hours away.

This thing is made like a tank! I can imagine it can withstand lots of bangs and still be in working condition. The knobs on this thing are solid and don't look like they're going fall off unlike my Bugera 333XL. Obviously being a tube amp, they can be a bit tempermental if not looked after properly and can be a bit sensitive to hard bangs since the tubes are only made of glass.

It sounds so good as soon as I got it and a few minor EQ and gain tweaks. It's not difficult to get a standard metal tone out of this thing which is a good thing. The Rhythm channel has a crunch button that pretty much makes it act like a 3 channel amp with clean AND crunchy. I'll start with the cleans: This amp is far from the best clean amp BUT the cleans do have an acquired taste. I like them and they can always be cleaned up even more by proper EQ-ing and adding a subtle chorus to it. The CRUNCH button on the rhythm channel gives some nice overdriven and distorted tones. It allows you to do some classic rock and light metal.

The Lead channel is where this thing shines. It sounds AMAZING! I haven't had the chance to use any tubescreamer type pedal in front of it yet and it really does seem tight on the low end and SCREAMS when doing lead riffs and licks.

There are drawbacks to this amp however. For a start, it is EXTREMELY heavy and can imagine to be a pain in the ass to carry up and down stairs at gigs. At its "optimal" volume it will be WAY to loud for home use especially with fussy neighbors. If you play at a low volume it can get quite fizzy when using plenty of distortion, it's much better than the distortion on my Roland Cube 30X though. The last thing is that it can be a bit hissy and buzzy at high gain which is an obvious thing that can be controlled to a point by a good noise gate/suppressor so it's not so bad.

I would have recorded some clips/videos of this amp but I am still waiting for a bit of spare cash to spend on proper recording equipment that could possibly do this thing justice!

A photo of the family I have at home with me right now:
Roland Cube 30X
Carl21221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Welcome to the 6505+ club!
What beasts of an amp they truly are!
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Time to update your sig!

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

pretty cool amp

it can get the heavies and can pull off some clean stuff better than its big brother imo.

overall - good buy

it is made in China but I'm guessing it is pretty we thought out and ready to roll.

HN6505D

where is the lit up logo

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 11-17-2012 at 12:55 AM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Carl21221

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
where is the lit up logo

I didn't have the amp turned on I was staring at it in awe when I was first trying it out :P
Roland Cube 30X
Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Austin174

Great amp man I got mine a few week's back, and with out a boost or anything I have gotten some great Parkway Drive tone's out of this thing but haven't had the chance to fully crank mine.

Greg I think it was you asking for a pic of my logo lighting up, well it dont light up so I have to figure out what's wrong with that.
Peavey 6505+ 112
Austin174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

HNAD!

That's a great price for such an awesome amp with a V30 already installed! Enjoy bringing teh br00tz!
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Being made of glass doesn't make tubes that fragile. Try breaking one one day and see how hard it is to actually do. They aren't like a light globe, they are as tough as nails. They used to use them in tanks and Mig jets ffs.

HNAD.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
guitar/bass76
no longer owns a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
They aren't like a light globe, they are as tough as nails.

Wait...they're called light globes down under?

HNAD.
guitar/bass76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Globe, bulb, whatever we feel like calling it at the time.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
Carl21221

Haha never tried to break one before since they are quite valuable to my tube amp :P Was just going off what people have said. But good to know :P
Roland Cube 30X
Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

If I ever have one go microphonic or just blow in general, I'll probably take a hammer to it, just out of curiousity. Hell, I might do it the real musician way and use my guitar

you can tell just by holding them that they're much more durable than light bulbs, though. Just by how heavy the glass feels. Not to mention, I'm willing to bet that the process to make them results in a more durable glass, thickness aside. That's just a guesstimation, though.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

If you take a hammer to it will break but if you drop it on the floor or throw it against the wall I bet it will hold up.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

very nice

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

The important thing with tubes is not to **** about with them whilst they're switched on. As long as they aren't hot, they can put up with a lot of abuse.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: